Buying a Pistol with Serial # Filed Off

I'm thinking the BATFE would advise that it was a legal firearm to own, as it is a C & R weapon with the necessary paperwork to document it's lack of a serial number. If the seller has the original copies to provide with the gun, there are copies of it on file, likely on microfilm or microfiche in government records. Or perhaps copied onto a digital database by now, but the paper shown in the pictures is from our government.

Yes, but anyone could have written it on there. Even if it had been written on there and approved for import to the states, my question still stands. Would it be legal to own when the serial number was removed. Like stated before, the current law trumps any capture papers from days past.

Like I said, if the documents are legitimate, they could be verified through DOD files. I don't see Gun Broker allowing a sale that offers a illegal firearm for sale. I realize the seller creates their own auction page, but I doubt that Gun Broker would allow it to remain unless the seller had shown them in some manner that the firearm was legal for sale. Their liability would be too costly to them if it was illegal.

Hey Madison

I'm not sure how the FBI does it ut I have seen it done elsewhere.
They use etching acid. A very diluted sulphuric, or heat and photography.

Here's how the Indiana law reads. Have no idea at the end where it says "except as provided by applicable United States statute" what that means. Doubt if any local police would know either. You'll end up spending the night in jail and having to spend a ton of money to prove what you have is legal under the United States statute.

IC 35-47-2-18
Obliterating identification marks on handgun or possession of such handguns prohibited
Sec. 18. No person shall:
(1) change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on any handgun; or
(2) possess any handgun on which the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification has been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated;
except as provided by applicable United States statute.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

THere was a time when removing the serial number was legal just as removing it from your TV would be legal today. If it was done at that point I can not believe any .gov would prosecute you for the offense unless you were otherwise legally entangled. I would bet such a firearm is legal. The burden of proof would lie on the .gov as far as proving when/who ground it off. Good luck.

I think...
The acid only works if you barely file the numbers off. If you take a bit of extra material off the acid isn't going to do crap. or if you re-etch the area and regrind. Not something I have looked into. Easier to just change barrels anyways...

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated or altered, and has at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce." (18 USC 922(k), emphasis added)

Seems pretty clear and all encompassing to me.

Back