Buying a new gun. Feedback needed.

As you investigate revolvers....( if owner or dealer will let you ) ...dry fire them in double action - and single action - but focus on double action. You will find a difference, even within one model of S&W from gun to gun ...some of the older guns ( pre internal frame locks ) from S&W have very good triggers....especially the N frames .../ but you will see quite a difference between most of the Ruger options compared to the S&W options.

Rugers and S&W are both solid guns...it comes down to what fits your hands the best ..and which trigger system you like the feel of the best. ( for me its S&W...but Ruger isn't a bad option either ).

The all time best double action revolver I own in .357 Mag is a S&W Model 27-2 4" Nickel..(N frame)..... ( and I own about 15 S&W revolvers , in a variety of S&W models ....model 19's, 27's and 28's....and the newer stainless S&W's in model 66's, 686's and 627's.. in 2 ", 2 1/2", 2 5/8", 4", 5" and 6"....) ...but the more I shoot my model 627's ( 8 shot N frames - mine are perf center models )...with internal frame locks and mim parts throughout them, in 2 5/8" and a 5", the more I think they're very solid guns for the money as well.

Have fun with the process !!

357 in a used Security-Six if you can find one or the GP100 both in 6" stainless will provide a lifetime of heavy abuse. If you reload you can load from gallery light to full magnum loads, all using 357 cases. The 38 special cases will leave a ring of residue in the chambers that will need to be cleaned out before you use magnum cases again but if done right after shooting it is not hard to clean out with a brush and some solvent.
On the other hand you can do the same thing with a 44 Magnum. Shooting either will require a lot of dry fire practice at first to keep you from obtaining a flinch but once you get the strength in you wrists and forearms they are both fun to shoot.
I have had both and I like the 357 for accuracy work but the 44 is just plain FUN mentally and physically. I don't have the 44 anymore and have used nothing but the hottest accurate loads in my 357 for the last 45 years or so. The six inch barrel is easier to shoot than the four inch but both can be accurate out to 100 yards.
If I had to give you hard advice it would be a six inch GP100 Ruger in 357. You will like it - maybe even more than your semi-autos.

The L frame .357 is great. Recoil isn't too bad even with .357 ammo. It's a real sweet shooter with .38s. 4" or 6" both good to go. Same goes for the Ruger GP100 but you won't have as good a trigger.

I have several guns in both calibers and enjoy them both, including my semi's(desert eagle and a coonan), Both are expensive ammo wise which is why I reload for both. The last time I was at my LGS a box of 44 mag was near $50. Thats just nuts to me. Something to consider.

ditto

.357 mag/.38spl

IF, you reload, a .41mag is an excellent compromise.

.41 mag brass cut down 0.10" will give you .41spl to play with.

I've carried 4" 357 mags since 1970. It's versatility is super. Rugers GP 100 or the Smiths 676 are excellent choices. I like Ruger better. Just my personal opinion.
Nowadays I carry Glocks but I will never sell my GP100 4.2" 357. This one is my back ups back up.
Good luck.

Doc

So I will be buying a new handgun in the very near future, currently doing my research. I am pretty sure I will be buying a smith and wesson revolver, but I am unsure of which caliber to get 357 magnum or 44 magnum, both have their pros and cons, that I'm pretty sure people are aware of,

Maybe you'll say later in the thread, that I haven't read. But, what do you want to do with this?

Anyway, if you want the biggest boomer, get the .44. If you just want to shoot, get the .357. .38 Special is much easier to find than .44 Special.

here's a list of guns I have:

CZ-75 SP01
Yugoslavian Mauser
AR15

The largest hand gun caliber I have shot is a .40 S&W out of a Glock 22. Wondering how comparable that is to the magnum rounds I'm looking at.

Intended purpose is:
Range
Plinking
Add to my gun collection

My list as previously posted. I'll likely take it to the range, most likely get a 586 or 686, depending on what's available, probably look harder for the 586, I like the blue finish.

The options that exists with the 357 also exist with the 44. The decision is completely yours, but if you roll your own, I would choose the larger of the two.

Heirloom Quality

Smith and wesson model 19(.357mag) with factory target stocks. About the perfect size and weight for a recreational firearm. Either the 4 or 6 models with fit the bill. For me, I just had to get both! If i come across a snubbie it will be in my collectiin.

You may have already made up your mind, and are getting good advice. But I'd like to buck the trend and vote for the .44 mag, simply because you already have a 9mm pistol. The .357 doesn't offer a big enough difference to me to be worth getting another gun. By stepping up to the .44, you'd greatly increase the overall diversity of your battery. If your only other handgun was a .22, then sure, I'd go ahead with the .357.

Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't see a .22 listed in your battery. If ya want something for range plinkin' fun, I'd vote for a .22 before either the .357 or .44.

I went with a .357 first.
.38's through it were ho hum.
Stepping up to .357 magnum still left me wanting more.

My first time with a .44 magnum was - "Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!

Recoil and muzzle blast can be a substantial step up from the .357 though & in all honesty, it's not for just anybody.

S&W 686 or 686 plus. Great gun and will last you for a lifetime. Shoot all the .38s you want out of it and when you want .357s there is no problem. Accuracy is fantastic.

I've had .44s but always seem to be shooting my .357s.

Back