Buying a new gun. Feedback needed.

gryffinwings

Inactive
So I will be buying a new handgun in the very near future, currently doing my research. I am pretty sure I will be buying a smith and wesson revolver, but I am unsure of which caliber to get 357 magnum or 44 magnum, both have their pros and cons, that I'm pretty sure people are aware of, here's a list of guns I have:

CZ-75 SP01
Yugoslavian Mauser
AR15

The largest hand gun caliber I have shot is a .40 S&W out of a Glock 22. Wondering how comparable that is to the magnum rounds I'm looking at.

Get the .357 magnum. IF you end up liking that gun and caliber, and wanting more noise, flash, and recoil, that's when you go for the .44 mag.

Oh and get it in 4-, 5-, or 6-inch barrel on a full siz frame. In a S&W that'd be a L- or a N-frame. Thank me later.

Magnums are unlike anything you have. Recoil is different. It's a push or punch, instead of snap.

I'd recommend a 5-6" barrel 357 Magnum. Something like a S&W 686+ 7 shooter, Ruger GP100, or even a Performance Center 627 8 shot. Con is finding the 125 gr practice ammo. The pro is that you can shoot 38, 38+P and 357 Magnums.

44 Magnum is great if you reload. There's a lot of options. Again, go with a longer barrel like a S&W 629 or 29. It's a bit more recoil, flash and noise than a 357 Magnum. Con is the cost of ammo. Pro is that There's 44 Special and 44 Magnums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Go with the .357 Mag....its way more versatile.

Recoil is primarily dependent on weight of gun, weight of bullet and velocity of bullet...so I would go with a 4" gun if you want a combination carry / range gun ...K frames are ok ( model 66 or 19 ) / L frames model 686's / N frames you're into model 27's or 28's or the newer 627's...in .357 mag.

.357 Mag recoil in a 4" steel revolver is probably similar to a .40 S&W in lighter weight poly frame guns...if you shoot the traditional 158gr bullet in .357 Mag.

If you want a range gun / home defense gun a 6" gun is a good option.
( pick the frame size that fits your hands the best...K's are a little small to me, L's and N frames are great to me...and changing grips makes a big difference from one to another ).

Rent some guns before you buy is always smart.

You won't go wrong with a .357 Mag. The versatility alone makes it a great choice. I prefer 3"-4" pre-lock S&W's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned, a 357 Magnum would be the most versatile.
However, again as mentioned earlier, what is your intended purpose? That could change the best choice.

Yes as you understand a .357 is a better next buy than a .44. I join the 4 inch recommendation, it's easier to carry. I also would recommend the L frame as more durable with some extra recoil-dampening weight.

Recoil with a full-power .357 will be substantially worse than a Glock 22. At least you can also shoot .38s.

Recoil in .44 magnum was painful enough that I wouldn't shoot mine double action......

I have several handguns with shorter and longer barrels including .22, .38, .357 and .44 Mag. I recommend a 6'' barrel .357 for your intended use, probably a Ruger or S&W. I also have a .40 Kahr. A .357 has a "fairly strong" recoil. A .44 Magnum, even with an 8 3/8" barrel, has a "strong" recoil. It takes some practice to adapt to the .44 Mag recoil.

Last edited:
357. I have several semi autos and revolvers. For one, unless you reload, it is a lot easier to find and shoot 38 special out of the 357 mag. That will feel about the same as a 9mm from a Steel pistol (unless you purchase a lightweight concealed carry revolver - not most user friendly choice for first revolver). To do something similar in 44 mag: trying to find a box of 44 special which is not really as common.
Then for kicks (and more expense) you can shoot magnums out of it. Out of my N frame, I've never shot enough magnums at one time to really be a concern for tissue damage to my hand. In contrast although this was out of an "ultra lightweight" 44 mag, a single cylinder stung. It didn't make me bleed but it wasn't fun. The owner had the gun in case of bears when backpacking in Alaska and since sold it. Finally, if the world of revolvers turns out to be appealing to you, you may try a snub nose someday. The concealed carry revolvers are more commonly in 38 or 357 so you would already have the ammo in common or reload eventually. Whatever you choose, keep the brass.

357 ... I have a GP100 and it's so much fun. I load some light rounds for plinking and the recoil is negligible. Even 38 +P seem light compared to my 38 snub

+1 on the .357. With .357, you have a lot of options for .38 or .38+P.

With the magnum rounds you will have more recoil with more of a push as others have mentioned.

Of course the amount depends on which pistol and which ammo you choose.

Not that you asked, but...
I'd be looking at the 586 or 686 in the S&W with a 4" to 5" barrel or a Ruger GP100 (probably the Match Champion).

++++357

I have a 357 and I shoot 38sp through it 99% of the time because the recoil on the 357 is so powerful. I couldn't imagine enjoying a 44. Plus 38 rounds are much cheaper so its a great range round.

Go 357 as you can plink with 38, which will be cheaper. Though for sheer joy a 44 mag is in a different class. I'm partial to S&W and you can get a pretty good deal on a used 686 plus w/ a 3" bbl. You can go new, but you'll save $ on used.

.357 S&W 586 would be my choice and for your intended use I'm not sure I wouldn't get the 8 3/8 barrel - really good range and plinking gun if your not worried about trying to carry/conceal. 6" gun is probably the most popular and is a great gun too.

If you look to go up in caliber and if you reload I wouldn't leave out the .41 Magnum - you can load it down or up and have the .357 and the .44 in one gun. Just a thought. I'm sure store bought ammo is more expensive and maybe hard to find but I've just never had to purchase any.

.44 vs. .357

Full house .44 will get your attention.

However you don't mention whether or not you reload. I might pick .44 given I have the dies, etc.
.44 gets very expensive to do any real range time with. Yes, you can shoot .44 special, but it ain't cheap either.
Heck even if you reload you are throwing a big hunk of lead, and have you looked at the price of lead lately?

The .357 is an excellent choice, mild to wild. Take a look at the new Kimber revolver, it's getting good reviews.

Intended purpose is:
Range
Plinking
Add to my gun collection
The the 357 is unquestionably the best choice. For your purposes the very expensive Kimber snubbie is the wrong choice. Unless you want to handicap yourself with heavy recoil, and short sight radius. The larger than 6 round capacity S&W is not of much value over the 6 round models
S&W 586, or 686 as well as a Ruger GP 100 are perfect choices for you.

Back