buying a handgun when resident of PA lives in MN

adamBomb

We are getting a handgun for a relative this xmas. They live in minnesota but are a PA resident - they are a student so they cant become a mn resident. What is the easiest way to go about this?

If they are a PA resident, they have to receive it from a PA FFL. Either that, or you could drive it out there yourself and give it in person, unless MN requires an official transfer for person to person transfers.

Is the recipient returning to Pa for Christmas and getting the gun there?
If not,
Check federal and state laws for this situation, from someone who knows for sure.
With the possibility of rather severe consequences, don't just take the word of folks on a forum.

Last edited:
Is the recipient returning to Pa for Christmas and getting the gun there?

Yes. They will be getting it in PA over xmas. They can legally bring a gun to MN too without problems or registering it or anything. The issue was how do we get the gun there since she will be flying and cant purchase it in MN...so assuming she can check the firearm on her flight, it should not be a problem.

Now she needs to work on out of state CCW in MN

I have a PA Licence to Carry. When she comes back to PA for XMas, she needs to apply for her PA carry permit, PA and MN are reciprocal states for carry permits.

If her residence is outside of Philadelphia PA, it will take 2-3 weeks to apply & grant the permit through the County Sheriff's office, PA is a shall issue state so she will get the permit if she's qualified. If she's a Philly resident it will take up to six months since carry permits in Philly are administered by the Philadelphia Police Dept. and they will take their time issuing the permit (the only place in PA where carry permits are not administered by the County Sheriff's office).

I have a PA Licence to Carry. When she comes back to PA for XMas, she needs to apply for her PA carry permit, PA and MN are reciprocal states for carry permits.

If her residence is outside of Philadelphia PA, it will take 2-3 weeks to apply & grant the permit through the County Sheriff's office, PA is a shall issue state so she will get the permit if she's qualified. If she's a Philly resident it will take up to six months since carry permits in Philly are administered by the Philadelphia Police Dept. and they will take their time issuing the permit (the only place in PA where carry permits are not administered by the County Sheriff's office).

She is going to get her PA license but it is not valid in MN according to the MN gov website (https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx)

She is outside philly and I assume the ccw will take like 20 minutes. I have never heard of a wait time in PA unless they changed it. I used to get to the court house and be out of there in 20 mins with a permit and $35 poorer.

The website I looked at must be out of date, my apologies for that.

The application for the PA license to carry including the photo does take about 20-30 minutes but it will be 2-3 weeks before the application is processed, and the permit itself is mailed to the applicant. I'm assuming she has a valid PA drivers license or voter registration card.

The application for the PA license to carry including the photo does take about 20-30 minutes but it will be 2-3 weeks before the application is processed, and the permit itself is mailed to the applicant. I'm assuming she has a valid PA drivers license or voter registration card.

yea she has the PA drivers license and stuff. That must be by county because ours just prints your stuff right there and hands you the card.

That must be by county because ours just prints your stuff right there and hands you the card.
Ours is the same. They even have night time hours twice a week for those of us who cant get there during normal courthouse hours.

Things have continued to change, and for the better too. My first permit in PA back in the 70's, took the full 45 days, required two reference signatures, required the serial numbers of the guns you carried, and was only good for a year. They had the grumpiest Deputy in the courthouse at the counter, doing his best to persuade you that you couldnt have it too.

10 years ago, Bucks County used to still take the entire 45 days to get around to getting it back to you. My one son got his there a couple of years ago, and walked out with it in less than a half hour.

Just out of curiosity, which counties are still taking so long?

I just renewed my PA permit. Whole process took 18 minutes, from exiting car to exiting Sheriff's office with new permit in hand.

The way tha PA Licence to Carry law reads, the county sheriff's office (if you reside outside of Philly), or the Philadelphia Chief of Police's office (if you reside in the city) has 45 days to complete the investigation to determine applicant eligibility for a PA License to Carry. I know of three counties (Bucks, Chester, and Montgomery) where the applicant can typically get their permit within 2 weeks. The Philadelphia Chief of Police's office is notorious for dragging the investigation and determination out to the full 45 days, or even longer.

As far as MN...

From https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/pages/permit-to-carry-faq.aspx
Where can I apply for a permit to carry a pistol?
For Minnesota residents, individuals may obtain permits to carry a pistol by submitting an application and other related documentation to the sheriff in the county where the applicant resides. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.

What are the requirements for getting a permit to carry?
Must be at least 21 years of age
Must complete an application form
Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor must be completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)

If I am a non-resident, must I take an approved firearms training class in Minnesota in order to get a Minnesota permit to carry?
No. You are only required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards.

For specifics I would just call your local Sheriff in MN and let them know of the situation... maybe tell the Sheriff that she lives off campus and would NEVER carry on campus!

Good luck!

Bob, the problem with that is that the ultimate owner living in MN is still officially a resident of PA. Therefore, he has to take possession in PA.

I noticed that the op is from NC, not PA. The transfer should be done by a FFL. If they were in PA, the transfer from you to them (gift or not) would still have to be through a FFL in PA. Check the rules.

A lot depends on the "relative" here. If its a gift to a child or parent, grandchild, etc, no transfer is necessary.

That is correct. Direct family...father, mother, and children do not require a FFL for a PA transfer between themselves in state. The out of state part.... not sure how that impacts a transfer. Typically a FFL is required.

Basically, the PA law was changed with regard to handguns. Out of state people could not give a gun to a PA resident without a FFL handling it even before the law change. It has nothing to do with gifting, only residency of both parties.

Last edited:
Back