Buying a gun from another state, 5 minutes away?

Treefarmer,

There's no difference for gunshows. If you are not a resident of the state the gunshow is in your gun purchases would be limited to long guns and an FFL would be required to transfer them legally to you. Of course if you're buying from an FFL vendor at the show this is easy.

Can't do FTF/private transactions between residents of different states, period. (with the exception of an estate transfer).

Now, if there is a person there from your state with a gun you wish to buy..........I do not know how that works........????

In many states the CHL will work in lieu of an NICS check, but it has no bearing on whether an FFL is needed. The 4473 form still has to be completed for the transfer to be legal.

Thanks rantingredneck for the info. Also; am I reading you correctly that I can not buy hand guns at a gun show in another state at all?

treefarmernc said:
Thanks rantingredneck for the info. Also; am I reading you correctly that I can not buy hand guns at a gun show in another state at all?

You can BUY a handgun from anybody in any other state, FFL or not.

HOWEVER, once you buy that handgun out of state, the seller MUST deliver that handgun either by shipping or in person delivery to an FFL in the buyer's state of residence for subsequent transfer to the buyer.

It is illegal for you to buy the handgun from an out of state source and actually take possession of that gun from anyone other than an FFL in your state of residence.

The Federal law only adresses the residency of the buyer and seller, it does not adress the physical location of the buyer and seller. So, technically, a transfer between two Washington residents would be legal even if they were physically visiting Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc.

Thanks, clear as crystal now. I have never had a reason to go to out of state gun shows due to having a ample supply here in NC. I now have family out of state and we have been talking about going to shows on each others state, and I wanted to know a little before jumping in.

I own a S&W model 19 because of that....

was at a gun show here in Greenville, S.C. and saw the #19 but didn't buy and came back a few minutes later... another guy was giving money to the seller (private transfer) and made the comment that he had come all the way down from Asheville (N.C.) looking for a revolver just like this.... seller politely handed the money back and said "sorry, but I can't sell it to you then."

I hated to do it but I then got it.

Best thing for you to do If its from a private seller is have them take it to an FFL in KY and they can Log it in to the book and sell it to you. should cost about 20 bucks. If it is at dealer they will ship it to an FFL in KY. I done this a few times.

Back