Buying a gun from another state, 5 minutes away?

Jacobie

Quick question, and yes I searched but did not find a clear answer. I live in KY, 5 minutes across the bridge from IN. I am buying a gun from someone (non FFL holder) in IN and know that I can't just drive over the bridge and pick it up. I also know that he could ship it to my FFL here, however that seems kind of silly consider we live 10-15 miles apart. What is the legalities of him coming across the bridge to meet me at a FFL here in KY (where I live) and them doing the transfer here. Is this legal for him to do?

I have a FFL, He can take the gun across the state line to a FFL and as long as he transports it leagly, and has some ID (drivers license), he's OK. I assume that you are talking about a hand gun, if it's a long gun you can transfer face to face without a FFL, unless there is some state law that prohibits that.

if it's a long gun you can transfer face to face without a FFL, unless there is some state law that prohibits that.

As an FFL, you should know better.

You most definately may NOT transfer a long gun across state lines without an FFL. What you MAY do is transfer the long gun at an FFL outside your home state provided you are physically at that FFL's licensed premises and that the sale is legal at both the point of sale and your home state.

Sorry if I misinformed, I'll have to double check. I've never sold face to face other then FFL transfers to out of staters. That being said, anyone wanting to buy a long gun from out of state in my establishment can do it acording to
ATFE provided they can show proper ID and pass a background check.

Buying a gun from another state, 5 minutes away?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't buy it as in a private sale-no FFL involved?

Nope, between residents of two different states an FFL is required (with the exception of some estate circumstances, I believe).

If the gun is a long gun it can be transferred through an FFL in the sellers or buyers state of residence as long as the buyer is legally eligible to purchase a long gun in the seller's state.

If the gun is a handgun it MUST go through an FFL in the BUYER's state of residence.

Doesn't matter whether you live 5 miles or 500 miles from the state line.......

Once the transfer crosses state lines, an FFL must be involved on the receiving end. Whether shipped or hand delivered doesn't matter.

Had a client who lives in WY gift a rifle to his father who lives locally by me in MI. He was visiting his family so he brought the rifle to me in person, I logged it in, ran a 4473 on his father, logged the gun out to the father, collected my $20 and that was that.

My father who lives in WI is giving me one of his pistols. Next time I make it down there I will pick it up in person from him, bring it back to MI, log it in, run a 4473 on myself, and go on with life.

Not that it has anything to do with the original post but I REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM

with the government, state or federal, forcing themselves on a Father giving his Son or a Mother giving her Daughter for that matter a gun... or leaving it for them in their will.

I just don't think the government should be able to call jurisdiction on this no matter where the two folks live in this country.

just to throw another log on the fire... I thought either an FFL 'HAD' to receive an out of state gun via common carrier or that intra state transportation for the transfer of weapons had to be done by common carrier? I'm not an expert, so I guess I was wrong... was once before.

I thought either an FFL 'HAD' to receive an out of state gun via common carrier or that intra state transportation for the transfer of weapons had to be done by common carrier?

There is nothing that requires that. An FFL may take possession of a firearm from anyone and anywhere.

with the government, state or federal, forcing themselves on a Father giving his Son or a Mother giving her Daughter for that matter a gun... or leaving it for them in their will.

I just don't think the government should be able to call jurisdiction on this no matter where the two folks live in this country.

The federal laws treat those cases differently. If both parties are still alive (and in different states) it has to go thru an FFL to be legal. If it's left as part of an estate, the person inheriting the gun doesn't have to use an FFL, he can just go get the gun take it back to his home state. Don't take my word for it though (IINAL) look it up.

So, a question for all you FFL's. This is what i am gathering.......

I am a New Mexico resident. I have a buddy in Texas who wants to trade guns. We planned on shipping the guns. However I only live a couple hours away and can easily do a face to face. Can i meet him, take possession of the gun and then take it to my local FFL once I get back home and have him do all the paperwork??

Q!! - No. The FFL has to receive it. Log it in, and log it out.

You'd be in violation by doing an FTF in another state. No FFL I know would even touch that one.

We have the same situation here in Eastern Washington. North Idaho is 10 minutes from my house.

And...there just happens to be a huge Cabelas that sells guns over the idaho line. It gets a lot of WA business. (Mine Included)

I have not purchased an out of state gun, but I know that my FFL drives over to pick up firearms from Cabelas all the time then fills out the paperwork. She also can have them shipped to her, and then perform the paperwork for the buyer. It is subject to her transfer fee of course.

All in all, easy as pie as far as i have been told. Now, if we could just do something about Cabelas ammo prices around here....

Q!!, the FFL would have to receive the gun from the owner, then 4473 it to the buyer.

Golfnutriv, you are allowed to purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun only) in another state provided the FFL follows transfer procedures compliant with both state's laws. Example, say Washington had a 24 hour waiting period. You buy a gun in ID from an ID FFL. You can't pick up the gun from them for 24 hours. Depending on WA laws and Cabela's policy, they might be able to just transfer the gun to you in ID. I have a few WI guys come here and buy long guns from me all the time in MI.

question

This subject brings up a question to me. How do you handle gun purchases at gun shows in other states? Does having a conceal carry license carry any weight.

Back