buying a cheap gun turns out to be exactly that

Bought a cobra .380 last year for a first/learning gun for my girlfriend to use. First box of PPU ammo went through pretty good 2 or 3 failures to eject but thought that was ok for an unworked pistol. Gave it a good cleaning and then made her do it as well to help familiarize her with the weapon, even had her watch the video from cobra while she did it. She was in love. Next box she picked up blazer ammo because it was all the local had...She attempted 12 shots before she came home in tears with an unfired round stuck in the action and struck by the firing pin. She explained to me how almost every round got stuck ejecting, and of the 11 she was able to fire 4 had to be re-struck to fire. I have worked it over to loosen the springs and smooth the action and we have used several different ammos all with mixed results. Bottom line, I cant trust the gun to function safely. Before anyone criticizes, I have already chastised her and myself (poor training and shouldn't have allowed a new shooter alone) for the handling mistakes.
Any ideas to atleast make this thing plinking worthy, I cant sell it in good conscience.

centralmainehunters said:
I have already chastised her and myself (poor training and shouldn't have allowed a new shooter alone) for the handling mistakes.
What handling mistakes? You didn't describe any handling mistakes in your post, you described a junk gun.

Being from Maine, you may have heard the expression "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." Don't waste any more time, energy or money on that thng. Buy your GF a real pistol, from a manufacturer with a decent reputation.

handling mistakes when the round jammed in the chamber unfired after being struck by the firing pin. she tried to "fix it" as soon as it happened.
Was really hoping someone had some type of advice on how to "fix" or at least improve functionality.

Did you send it back to the manufacturer?

Cobra firearms come with a factory direct lifetime warranty. The warranty covers all owners of the firearm. If, at anytime you experience difficulties with your firearm you may send it to the factory for repair or service. All warranty claims should include the model, serial number and owners information in the packaging of the firearm being sent for service.

One plan would be to spend money sending it back and forth to them until it works.

However:

Bottom line, I cant trust the gun to function safely.

You have answered your own question. Consider it a lesson learned. I'd quit while all my digits were still attached and I still had my eyesight. It can always be worse.

Was that Blazer ammo the aluminum cased stuff? Some guns will
NOT digest that stuff. Grab a couple of boxes of FMJ brass case
ammo and run them through it. If it still has problems you can't
resolve, send it back to the manufacturer or save it for the next buy-back.

Trade it off and get a good revolver (ruger or smith). She will be in love shooting again. Honest advice. IMHO.

I hope you get it fixed so you can get something out of it at this point. At least that way you can trade it and feel ok about it. It can be a learning experience for her too, no one got hurt, could have been worse.

Autos can be finicky

Try another couple of boxes of ammo from different makers. That might solve the problem, but a gun that you cannot trust to go 'boom' isn't much of a bargain or even a gun for that matter.

Keep it as a momento and reminder of the mistake of buying a cheap weapon...They are great as long as you don't expect to use them. There are handguns around that are good values but something that can cause you harm isn't one. Its a mistake many have made...Its on the same level as when I see someone carrying a gun they have paid hundreds for in a cheap nylon holster and you can bet its loaded with whatever is the cheapest ball ammo they can find...There are some things where cheap is ok but its not true with firearms. I would suggested a clean, used Smith and Wesson or Ruger revolver perhaps...Good Luck with your problem.

There's not much you can do. The Cobra's frames and slides are constructed of cheap zinc alloy and the more they're used the more the zinc distorts.
It'll only get worse with use.

Bought a cobra .380 last year for a first/learning gun for my girlfriend to use. First box of PPU ammo went through pretty good 2 or 3 failures to eject but thought that was ok for an unworked pist... She explained to me how almost every round got stuck ejecting, and of the 11 she was able to fire 4 had to be re-struck to fire.... Bottom line, I cant trust the gun to function safely. Before anyone criticizes, I have already chastised her and myself (poor training and shouldn't have allowed a new shooter alone) for the handling mistakes.

I think everyone makes that mistake at least once. In my case, a Jennings J-22 (related in some way to your Cobra). It may be best to just move on.

Use the search function. "What gun for $X?" is a frequently asked question. For a long time the best answer at the low end was a ex-commie cold war era military surplus gun. A Makarov or Tokarev, a FEG PA-63 or Polish Radom, later the CZ-82 (nice!). Now, those are a little harder to find dirt cheap.

Hi-Point has a somewhat better reputation for functioning than the "Ring of Fire" guns, and a much better customer service reputation.

In revolvers, an Armscor .38, a used Charter Arms or Rossi would cover the low end pretty well.

If you have your heart set on .380, the Kel Tec P3AT or Taurus equivalent are inexpensive.

Any ideas to at least make this thing plinking worthy, I cant sell it in good conscience.

manually cycle the slide, see if it hangs anywhere. Look for burrs. Check the extractor.

Chances are, it's a crap gun, and your best bet is to just get rid of it, and buy something with some quality. In addition, it might be a better way to spend your money on training for her, than a new gun at this point. Especially if she isn't very experienced.

she explained to me how almost every round got stuck ejecting,

Would you mind describing this a bit better? What do you mean get stuck ejecting? Was the case actually getting extracted? But then the slide caught it as it was being ejected? If that's the case, that's usually called a stovepipe malfunction and in most cases is a user induced malfunction. It's usually caused by "limp-wristing" (meaning the gun isn't being held solidly enough) and can usually be solved by changing technique.

Either way, my two recommendations are:

1) Get rid of that PoS gun and get something better...almost anything would be better (also, don't get a .380...go for a 9mm in a Glock 19 size...not necessarily a Glock 19, just something that size).
2) Get training for her.

her technique may need to be adjusted. as mentioned above limp wristing is what made my GF's hi point 9mm jam frequently. i shoot it no problems. ofc i shoot .40 and .45 regularly so a 9mm is like a peashooter to me recoil wise. i have no issues. i was able to remedy this for my gf by getting her a wrist brace. she used it for 3-5 times at range when we went, now there are no midfeeds or jams. if that doesnt work try sending to cobra with a note explaining whats happening, also send the mag with it. they will check on that as well. if the firearm is a lemon they will replace or repair under the warranty

I have worked it over to loosen the springs and smooth the action

Seeing as she had 5 failure to fires from the primers not going off, it sounds to me that by messing with the springs you compromised the reliability of the firing pin having enough force to set off those primers.

Also it looks like the Cobra is a blowback. Blowback pistols are more susceptible to limp wristing, which very well could have been the cause of all the failure to ejects seeing as she is a new shooter.

Very unscientifically and not counting a few Milsurp guns like the CZ-82, it seems like around $280-300 is the minimum a guy can spend and still get a decent handgun (Smith & Wesson SD9VE, Ruger P95, etc.). Any lower and you start seeing shady stuff.

If you were using Blazer aluminum then that may be the problem, as stated already some guns will not run on it. I have never had any problems with the Aluminum cases but know of others who have one or more guns that don't like it. Cobra has a good warranty, if it still won't run send it back.

You bought a junk gun and got junk results, don't be hard on yourself or your girlfriend.

Cobra, Jennings, Bryco, whatever, they're all the same maker and they're largely garbage.

She attempted 12 shots before she came home in tears with an unfired round stuck in the action and struck by the firing pin.
I don't know many ranges that would allow someone to take a gun off the line with a live round in it. Did they not offer assistance, or did she not ask?

The gun is substandard at best. That's pretty well established. However, she does need some formal training based on what you've posted.

There are plenty of inexpensive guns that are quite good.
Inexpensive can be very different than cheaply made.
Price alone isn't always the criteria.
For example, an older fella' comes to the local range and regularly brings his one and only revolver, from some obscure manufacturer, in .38spl.
He's not a revolver guy, but figures everyone should know how to use one.
And it works just fine and always has.
He said he paid $100 for it, over twenty years ago.
While he wouldn't carry it for his self defense gun, it serves an important purpose for a good, affordable practice gun.

Back