Bullet Sizing?

Yeah I preheat mine buy just setting them on top of the pot but I've found they start to throw better bullets after a few castings.

As to powder coating: you can do both if you wish....size before and after the coating. Since you're trying to increase diameter, I'd say coat and then size. Powder coating allows sizing of up to .005" without affecting the coating.

I use parchment paper as a non-stick base when powder coating, but a lot of people use non-stick aluminum foil. Either way, that "puddle" under the baked bullets is problematic as it promotes chipping the coating on the base of the bullet. If you tap each bullet to remove excess powder before placing it on the tray, you can eliminate the "puddle".

As to powder coating: you can do both if you wish....size before and after the coating. Since you're trying to increase diameter, I'd say coat and then size. Powder coating allows sizing of up to .005" without affecting the coating.

I use parchment paper as a non-stick base when powder coating, but a lot of people use non-stick aluminum foil. Either way, that "puddle" under the baked bullets is problematic as it promotes chipping the coating on the base of the bullet. If you tap each bullet to remove excess powder before placing it on the tray, you can eliminate the "puddle".

Yup!! I have a LEE 32 cal mold that drops at .312 and I wanted .313.
I powder coat and shoot as cast.
My Ruger loves em!!!

Back