Bullet size. large verses small

I've shot them with 100 grain .243s at 3000 fps, and I've shot them with .54 Maxi balls at 1300 fps. I will say that with the big, slow, pure lead bullets, there is no meat loss. You can eat right up to the hole.

Nowadays, I prefer a nice 30 caliber bullet. It's so much more convenient than packing that possibles bag. It's easier to unload the rifle, too.

I've been an active deer hunter since 1968. Over the years, I've toppled over 60 deer with a variety of rifles.

44 MAG - makes big holes with much tissue damage. The animal typically goes down within a few steps.

.243 - produces ghastly internal damage. The animal typically goes down within a couple jumps.

30-30 - makes smaller holes than 44MAG but hits hard within reasonable woods range. The animal typically goes down within a few steps or less.

.308 - makes big holes with much tissue damage. The animal typically goes down in it's tracks.

35 Remington - makes holes about the same as 44MAG. The animal typically goes down within a few steps or less.

45 cal. flintlock - makes fairly large holes. The animal typically bounds away but topples after several jumps.

50 cal. modern in-line ML - makes big holes with much tissue damage. The animal typically goes down in it's tracks.

12 gauge slug gun - makes big holes with much tissue damage. The animal typically goes down in it's tracks. Recoil is very unpleasant!

Hope this is helpful.
Jack

Of the rifle calibers I've killed deer with, my old 35 Remington, with the 200 grain CoreLokt bullet at 2000 fps MV, killed about as well as anything. My switch to the 270 was more about being able to hit at longer distances, but I don't think the 270 kills em any faster.

Light and fast causes more soft tissue damage than big and slow. I hunt on occasion with a .257WBY 90 gr. spire point bonded bullet made by Norma. To make a long story short, all the deer I have shot with it look like a grenade went off inside them. No exit wound, but the entrance wound is the size of a baseball. On the other hand,.35 Whelen 250gr? Punches a nice clean hole about .50 big.

Back