Bullet Puller (inertia hammer style)

I suspect a lot of people may not use the collet correctly. Watch the RCBS factory video. Note also that Quinetics is selling an aluminum collar to increase the impact effect so fewer strokes are needed. It is demonstrated in this video needing just one hammer stroke. The puller without it is demonstrated here.

Looking at my shell holders, another important factor would be that some have a pronounced high primer channel while others have none. Those with the high primer channel would be much less likely to give the primer anything to strike against unless it were very high.

From the product description.

"ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. NOT FOR USE with rim fire cartridges, black powder cartridges, explosive projectile ammo or ammunition with high primers."

-TL

P.S. I don't mean to be argumentative. I just googled the topic. There are plenty of detonation incidents with the factory 3-piece collet. Some even claimed a shell holder was safer. I myself don't think it has much to do with the collet or the shell holder. Perhaps it is an intrinsic risk associated with impact puller. Well that rekindles my interest of getting a puller die.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
While looking into the new Quinetics updated puller...

Quinetics website (high primers)

https://www.quineticscorp.com/products/kinetic-bullet-puller

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. NOT FOR USE with rim fire cartridges, black powder cartridges, explosive projectile ammo or ammunition with high primers. The patented Ultimate Kinetic Bullet Puller will accommodate .22 Hornet through .45-70 and .50 Action Express. Will not accommodate WSM cartridges.

From the product description.

"ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. NOT FOR USE with rim fire cartridges, black powder cartridges, explosive projectile ammo or ammunition with high primers."

-TL

P.S. I don't mean to be argumentative. I just googled the topic. There are plenty of detonation incidents with the factory 3-piece collet. Some even claimed a shell holder was safer. I myself don't think it has much to do with the collet or the shell holder. Perhaps it is an intrinsic risk associated with impact puller. Well that rekindles my interest of getting a puller die.

I have an RCBS puller die that I use in my single stage Lee Press and love it. No hammering and I've never had a problem pulling bullets. In my opinion it's a great tool.

Jake

I've used an inertia puller over 30 years with no problems. I use the anvil on the big vise a strike point, when I'm using the inertia puller. I think they are safe and reliable when used as intended.
That said, I only use the inertia puller for 1 or 2 rounds, for a more substantial session, I'll pull out the collet puller.

I looked into some of the online detonation reports Tangolima mentioned, and they make it appear there are at least a couple of mechanisms. Several mention the shell holder substitution but a good bit of the discussion had to do with loose primer pockets, suggesting the snap-back of the plastic barrel is fast enough to cause a primer's own tiny inertia to set it off in a loose pocket, wherein the floor of the primer pocket would snap back against the anvil of the primer rapidly enough to cause ignition. This included a couple of cases where the primer flew out of the hole in the cap, but the powder in the case was not ignited, so the primer launched itself without being held hard enough by the walls of the primer pocket to force much heat and pressure through the flash hole. Interesting stuff. I am appreciating my Hornady Cam Lock more and more, even if I do have to invest in a different collet for each new bullet diameter I want to pull.

Just to clarify my previous post, here's an image of a Hornady shell holder which has a recessed channel for high primers, making it hard to imagine an overlap with the primer would set it off. But here's a Redding shell holder with no high primer channel cut into it. They just make the whole rim cut taller to allow for high primers that need to be slipped in and out. This would present an ignition issue in the inertial puller with overlap and a high primer.

considering the construction of a primer, I seriously doubt any overlap would cause detonation. The anvil separating from the material and rebounding in a high set primer maybe. Considering the tens of thousands if not millions of rounds that are pulled each year, the risk is minimal in my opinion.

All of my primers get seated firmly and the cap tightened firmly on the puller so there can be no overlap however in the future just to be safe I will double check when using a inertial puller, That seems to be the main issue to watch for

As one of my photos shows, with a loose cap you can get almost 50% overlap, so you are right in the middle of the primer. With the Redding shell holder design, that would be an issue. I tried to find a 45 case I hadn't decapped that had been fired in my old Goldcup, but I'll have to shoot another. The firing pin hits just about exactly in the middle of a radius, halfway between the perimeter and the center of the primer. But it has never had a misfire that I can recall.

I have an RCBS puller die that I use in my single stage RCBS Press and hate it. Hammering and having to use a wrench/cheater on the collet handle. I've had numerous problem pulling bullets. The only thing it ever worked on easily was long .30 cal jacketed bullets. Other kinds of bullets, other calibers, always problems. No matter how tight you got it, multiple times collet would slip off and not pull or only partially pull the bullet. And forget pulling lead bullets in any reusable condition. In my opinion it's a crap tool.

Got the hammer type and its been FLAWLESS. Pulls everything (follow the instructions!!!) and everything is reusable.
Never used a shellholder in it, never even considered doing that....why would you??

Never used a shellholder in it, never even considered doing that....why would you??

convenience, ease of use. On my FA using Hornady and RCBS shellholders there is no way it could cause a primer to go off becasue of overlapping. RCBS may have larger bores than the FA, but try it yourself or not, no hair off this hounds hiney

saw it done watching a Erik Cortina video have not fumbled one of those little O ring collets since.

I used to use shell holders in the hammer as well for convenience, but discovered occasionally it would mess up the rims. Since I only use it occasionally for very low numbers pulling wise I use the collets and have never had a distorted rim since. If I mess up larger numbers I dig out the Hornady Collet puller, so far it’s worked on everything I’ve used it on.

I have an RCBS puller die that I use in my single stage RCBS Press and hate it. Hammering and having to use a wrench/cheater on the collet handle. I've had numerous problem pulling bullets. The only thing it ever worked on easily was long .30 cal jacketed bullets. Other kinds of bullets, other calibers, always problems. No matter how tight you got it, multiple times collet would slip off and not pull or only partially pull the bullet. And forget pulling lead bullets in any reusable condition. In my opinion it's a crap tool.

Got the hammer type and its been FLAWLESS. Pulls everything (follow the instructions!!!) and everything is reusable.
I use the rcbs collet puller also and in general it's a question of proper finesse on how many turns of the handle vs the collet grip on the bullet's ogive. I can always get the bullet out unless occasionally I go too hard and push the bullet into the case too far. Another indicator of torquing too hard is leaving a ring behind on the bullet jacket, no big deal as long as it's symmetric but that too can be avoided most of the time. I have a hammer as well and NEVER use it if I can help it. But in the end--whatever works for you to your satisfaction is the way to go.

Jetinteriorguy,

That's something that never occurred to me to might happen, but the collet generally does support a higher percentage of the rim, and supports it more evenly. I'll have to test for that phenomenon.

Jetinteriorguy,

That's something that never occurred to me to might happen, but the collet generally does support a higher percentage of the rim, and supports it more evenly. I'll have to test for that phenomenon.
I think what happens is due to the wiggle room in the shell holder a portion of the rim can be left unsupported due to the opening in the shell holder. Then the fact your swinging in an arc if the opening is in the right spot the case will end up in the unsupported area upon impact, and if the case gets cocked it will slightly bend the rim. But since the collet provides full support all around it’s not a problem. I believe it was with .223 I had this problem.

The 3-piece collet is just a one-size-fits-all contraption. It would have worked better if it were made of steel, instead of soft aluminum, which gets chewed up after a while. The shell holder lasts almost forever. The older collet design comes with spring instead of o-ring, which hardens and breaks when you really need it.

Anyway I am going to be done with it soon. A rcbs puller die cost $25 and a collet $12. I will do it, especially now I shoot more .22 cal and 6.5mm with lighter bullets. An impact will probably have hard time pulling 40gr bullet out of a .22 TCM.

-TL

Got the rcbs puller die with a few collets. Had to modify it to work with my coax press. I should have gotten long ago. For now only collets are for .22 cal and 6.5mm, calibers that are difficult to use impact puller on. For sure will add one for .30 cal mainly for .32 acp.

-TL

jetinteriorguy said:
Then the fact your swinging in an arc if the opening is in the right spot the case will end up in the unsupported area upon impact, and if the case gets cocked it will slightly bend the rim.

Swinging the arc with the opening of the shell holder at 12:00 (the frame of reference is looking down at the back of the hammer with the handle being at 6:00) was always how I assumed a high primer could get slapped by the edge of a shell holder's opening. You've got me wondering if the extra inertia of the higher density and more elastic steel causes an additional bit of rebound slap. It might explain why they use aluminum rather than steel in the collets, when steel should be cheaper, though being able to press cases into it without scuffing them badly may also be the reason.

Back