bullet performance

100 Gr. Ballistic Tip on 4 point buck

Shot a healthy 4 point buck at about 140 yards with 25-06 using 100 gr. BT. Big entrance wound, bigger exit. Buck turned to run and fell. He was dead by the time I arrived. Bled out internally. The bullet was probably going nearly 3000 fps. In my experience, that was perfect. I have read about the BT being too flimsy, but in this instance, it worked just like I wanted.

I have used Hornady SST to bag antelopes. In my opinion, the BT works a little better.

Phil, your experience beats mine by a thousand miles.
However, I'm surprised at the choice of a 150 gr. bullet for a big and big boned critter like bovine bulls. My choice would have been a sturdier 180 gr., quite possibly in a ballistic tip or Partition.
Hog, the head is a small and moving target. Not always a reliable hit, especially in country like mine where the deer don't stand around much and short, quick shots are the norm.

I've seen deer of the same size, shot in the same place, by the same ammo, and one will drop and another will run.

Never made sense to me. Some folks try to explain it and that never made much sense to me either.

I've used Corlokt a few times and Hornady SP the rest.

Nosler BT's are good bullets and anyone saying they aren't probably just can't shoot worth a dern. I closed the deer season out with 2 pigs DRT, 1 Yote, and 9 Whitetails all but one DRT and he went 20 yards and piled up. Most of them were shot with a 90grn BT in a .243

Its not so much about the bullet as the ability, knowledge and confidence to place it in the proper position.

The doe with the brain shot (picture above) dropped in her tracks, but she surprised :eek: me by giving a spastic convulsion about 30 seconds after I shot her. She had dropped at the edge of a pond. Her spasm caused her to jump enough to land halfway in the pond.

I've always had good luck with blunt tip soft nose bullets revealing much lead. Never lost a single animal!!

Jack

DSC01187.jpg

Ive shot alot of deer with ballistic tips without a failure. The only time Ive ever seen one fail to kill a deer was due to the loose nut at the end of the stock.

In the eighties, and nineties, the rifle I killed most of my deer with, was a Remington 700 in 3006. The load I used was a handloaded 150 grn Ballistic Tip, setting over a weight of 58 grns of IMR 4350. Every animal that I shot with this load went down quickly, like a hammer struck them. When I was lucky enough to find a bullet in them, it was usually in the "off side" shoulder skin. Most of the bullets usually fell in two pieces, the jacket and the lead core.
The energy that they unleashed in the bullet tunnel was sometimes overdone to an extent, sometimes the bullet traveled through completely only leaving a hole about the size of a quarter.

The Ballistic-Tip was designed for accurate long-range harvesting of game, and it did its job well, on these Missouri whitetails.
I started, this very year, using a .270 win as my primary Deer rifle, and I use another bullet from Nosler the Accubond, which has a bonded core, an penetrates a little better than the Ballistic Tip.
The results are super when accurate "shot-placement" is adhered to.
So yes, Rifleman1776 you got just what you paid for in performance from that bullet, and the damage you were trying to name is called hemmorage.:)

Last edited:
Richmc, my brother and I have been using Nosler BTs for many years and have taken many deer with them. I have found them to produce devastating damage and complete passthroughs and almost all have either dropped in their tracks or run 50 yds or so leaving a blood trail a child could follow. Bullet weight is the key, too light and they will break up but a 150g or better is the perfect deer round, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back