Bullet Length in Relation to OAL

Concentricity isn't knocked anywhere by firing pin impact.

All belted cases have that issue next to the belt. Chamber headspace is typically .220 +.008" and case headspace is .220 -.008". The case head and belt stretches back several thousandths to the bolt face when fired.

A solution: https://www.larrywillis.com/
My reloading technologies belted magnum die came in and I just used it to do a batch of well-used 300 wm brass. It took me a few tries to realize that when they say use LOTS of lubricant--they mean slather it down good. Once I did that the collet would easily slide off the case, before I used enough I'd have to turn the case upside down and use the press to remove the collet from the case on the first few I tried.

As a side note, it's interesting that they say always headspace off the shoulder and not the belt. That requires a bit of extra attention since most gauges are geared to simply measure headspace off the belt. I assume it's the extra space off the shoulder that you might not be aware of that accounts for the extra wear and case stretch, as well as expansion above the belt (?).

Back