bullet failure.....sort of

The raking angle forward was more severe than I thought, the deer almost certainly must have been bladed more than I believed.

Seems you have solved your own mystery as for all the cut hair and entrance angle then. As for bullet failure/expansion it's very hard to tell from just one found bullet. Your previous experience with the bullet and it's entrance and exit wounds needs to be considered also. There may be a myriad of reasons for the bullet not expanding, even the being slowed down by the large amount of hair it cut thru first. Could be muzzle velocity was a tad slower for one reason or another and thus the lack of expansion terminally. Again, seeing as how the buck dropped in it's tracks and died quickly and cleanly tells me the bullet performed well terminally.

I'm thinking that the bullet hit the bone right on the ogive and that absorbed just enough energy to retard further expansion.

bump

I posted a pic, in a slightly previous post, of the suspect bullet if anybody is interested further, see a short way prior.

Back