Bulged barrel

44 AMP.

Good thinking. And a prime example of overtraining/unaware of your firearm is that individual with the empty firearm continually “clearing” the issue. Funny actually. Not sure if you read everything but this thread IMO went from me asking about replacement barrel options after my incident, to trying to validate why I “allowed” or was unable to detect it in the first place. I fully understand everyone’s point of view. My mistake is clear. I treated a squib as light primer strike or unloaded/failed to feed or otherwise. I’m simply trying to establish that it wasn’t an obvious issue in my case and at the time it accured I was training in a way that would be even harder to detect than if I was just shooting. I have gotten a few suggestions, but for the most part it has been a mild patronizing session. Classic forum etiquette really. My attempt to justify will be washed into the previous posts I have made. Once my KKM barrel shows up I’ll report back it’s reliability. Already have nearly 1,000 rounds through the new OEM barrel I got shortly after creating this post. Again thanks for everyone’s input.
One thing I now do with ALL my barrels, no matter who makes them, is that with each new ammo--no matter who makes it--I'll do the "easy-in, easy out" drop test to make sure it chambers correctly. I once dropped some factory ammo into a new barrel--and it wouldn't fire, upon racking the slide all came out was a loose case, loose powder and a left-behind bullet.

I've never shot a squid before, but I was very tempted when I saw a large catfish near the bank last year (I resisted temptation).

Some years back my buddy asked me if I had a handgun that would shoot S&W 32 "short" ammo. I told him yeah, my little old NEF (H&R) revolver would shoot it just fine. He said that he had some of that ammo and that we should go shoot it sometime. So a few weeks later we were at the range and he handed me some ammo. We started shooting it, and I had the weird optical illusion that I could actually see some of the bullets flying through the air. Finally one of them actually bounced off the plywood backboard that the target was stapled to! I asked my buddy how old that ammo was. He shrugged his shoulders and said he wasn't sure. He'd found it in some of his dad's old stuff. Well, I knew for a fact that his dad had passed on at least 20 years before that. Anyway, that was the end of us shooting that particular batch of ammo. Thinking about it later, I was kind of impressed that all of it actually went bang, since it could easily have been 30 or 40 years old.

A .357 Magnum has considerably more pressure than any semi-auto round (with maybe the exception of 10mm)...
Believe it or not, the .357Magnum has the same pressure as the 9mm and .40S&W.

In fact, the following semi-auto rounds have SAAMI pressure that are higher than the .357Magnum: 9mm +P, 10mm, .38Super, and 50AE.

Only when read on pizeo transducer.
Old fashioned crusher gauge shows .357 Magnum much hotter.
It is very unusual for a cartridge to show higher numbers on the crusher gauge than the transducer but the Magnum does.

Jim,

Back when pressure was measured in CUP, the .357Mag was rated 46,000 CUP which corresponded to roughly 43,500 PSI.

About the same time SAAMI switched the .357Mag standard PSI from CUP, they also lowered the pressure of the .357Mag considerably. The current standard is 35,000 PSI.

If this discussion were taking place prior to 1995, then the statement I responded to would be correct and I would be wrong. However, that was more than 2 decades ago; as things currently stand, the post I made is correct.

I don't really know what comparing the various cartridges using current CUP measurements would show, but it's precisely anomalies like the one you mentioned that led SAAMI to switch over to the more accurate PSI measurement system.

It is easy to compare current CUP specifications. They are tabulated in the 2015 material, right before the pizeo numbers. So why does SAAMI maintain CUP specifications?

And why do you think .357 shows a higher numerical CUP reading than Ppsi?

And why do you think .357 shows a higher numerical CUP reading than Ppsi?
The CUP reading is a single value representing the effect of the entire pressure curve on a copper pellet while the PSI reading is a true peak pressure figure taken from the time vs pressure curve produced by the transducer.

Given two curves with the same peak pressure, the CUP figure would be higher for the one where the peak pressure was maintained longer (since applying the pressure for longer to the pellet would crush it more) while the PSI reading would accurately reflect the actual peak pressure in both cases.

There isn't anything misleading or inaccurate about comparing cartridge pressures using transducer/PSI values.

New OEM barrel is preforming as it should. Had some of the dirtiest Remington ammo ever though. By the 500th round the trigger group/striker was so dirty the trigger was hard to squeeze. A deep clean fixed it. I wore out a bore brush trying to get all the carbon buildup out of the rifling. It was bad. I’ll never buy Remington UMC again. S&B really has been the best value I’ve found. KKM barrel still hasn’t shown up.

KKM is good quality but be sure it will always chamber your chosen ammo.
"Minimum match chamber" and all that nonsense.
That's a fact--I bought a 10mm KKM barrel and it took some chamber polishing to get the cartridge enough room to chamber, expand and headspace properly consistently.

To be fair, KKM does say they have a selection of reamers and if their regular chamber does not accept your ammo, they will recut to match.

Hey there, friend! lol, I carried and will start doing so again soon, a Glock 34 with the Surefire X300U appendix! But in a T5 Custom Kydex hitchhiker. :)

Also, for barrels. Check out S3F, Silencerco, KKM, BlackList, etc.

You had an explosion. Your barrel just absorbed the energy so your body was not required to absorb any excess. Lady Luck was with you!!

A squib is a “Pop and no Kick”. Part of good training is recognizing a malfunction and taking appropriate action. This is why “Pop and no Kick” terminology was used instead of squib and the action to take (discard the weapon) were briefed at every training session.

It is rare and you got lucky. Glad it was a good outcome. Replace your barrel, drive on, and join “the few” who have experienced this malfunction.

Back