Built-in lasers. Handy tool, or crutch?

And what happens if you rely solely on that laser and it takes a dump at the wrong moment? Ask the BG to wait while you change the battery?

From Nathan:
"Ask yourself how they use them. ...I'm not a seal, but it looks like they mostly use IR lasers when they have those bulky night vision goggles on. Just guessing, but I imagine that night vision goggles through an EO Tech or Aimpoint is a no go due to the angles.

Any operator types who can comment on NV goggles + dot sight use?

Also, IR lasers make great planning tools without alerting the enemy you are pointing at them."

I'm not an operator but my son in law is SF and demonstrated it to me. You're correct, they use IR lasers and it's only visible with night vision. And it's a no-go for most of us common folks due (1) cost; and (2) possibly restricted.(?)

And what happens if you rely solely on that laser and it takes a dump at the wrong moment?

Somebody always comes up with that BS. NO ONE has ever said to "solely" rely on the laser yet someone always brings it up. You act like everyone with LS's files off their pistols sights. That doesn't happen.

If the batteries do go south, you are no worse then you are without ever having the LS.

I've never had the batteries go belly up. But if it bothers you, do like its recommended. Change your batteries twice a year when you set back/forward your clocks and change your smoke detector batteries.

As been said many times, THE LASER SIGHT DOES NOT REPLACE THE PISTOL/REVOLVER'S SIGHT, they only supplement them.

I teach people who have lasers to first shoot without the laser activated (if possible) and then, after they're comfy with the pistol and feel somewhat confident, then they shoot with the laser.

The reason I like it this way is if the laser should ever malfunction when they need it most, it's possible that would cause them a fraction of a second delay while they process what just didn't happen. Fractions of seconds do count in situations where bullets are being shot back and forth.

In other words, lasers are a great tool as long as people don't become laser dependant.

Reminds me of the arguments that used to fly around about optical sights. They were the same arguments about adjustable sights. They were the same arguments about sights on a bow & arrow. They were probably the same agruments about sights at all.

I have a Lasermax on my LCP which is my current carry piece. It's a great aid. Most people bashing lasers don't have a clue what the advantages are or have never been in stressful situation with a gun. For me, the grip activated ones are useless though, I want a positive on/off switch like the Lasermax uses as well as a new version from CT.

Back