Built-in lasers. Handy tool, or crutch?

MissPistol

Many of the guns I am reading about have built-in lasers. My gut is telling me that it could become a sort of crutch, and that aiming using the sights is the right way to learn. But maybe I simply don't know enough of the potential applications. Opinions?

I disagree. One must understand that laser sights supplement the pistol's iron sights, they don't replace them.

I have them on my 642 pocket revolver. I seldom use them except for pin point shooting in low light conditions where its hard to see the silver colored sights on my revolver.

The exception is they are a great training tool when dry firing. Lot of people (I use to) put dimes on the barrel and dry fire without the dime falling off. That tells you what the gun is doing at the barrel, but not down range where the bullet is suppose to go.

Normally when people ask me if I recommend laser sights, I have them go to the Crimson Trace web sight and watch their "free" video on the sights.

I have a light / laser combo on one of my handguns. I like it more for the balance than the laser dot. "It seems" that the traditional sights are quicker to acquire the aiming point than placing the dot on target. No idea why but I won't be buying another laser sight. YMMV

Well, I see them as cost up, weight up and the generally require exclusive holsters. I personally see no benefit, except for possibly dry fire practice.

Automatic Transmission - modern day convenience or clutch <yes, horrible pun>? I mean, a manual is clearly higher performing, right?

It's a tool. For the folks who shoot a couple/few times a year, it could really save their bacon when the time comes. For those who shoot every week, it's still a tool, but they have a lot more practice/training to gleen from in crappy situations.

I don't own a laser but have shot with one. Personally, I don't really care for them but I view it as a tool rather than a crutch. One still has to learn the basic of shooting to get the round to hit where the laser is at.

I tried a laser on a handgun and desided for me it was not worth the money or time to use. A defence handgun is a short range weapon and I tend to practice a aimed point shooting and pure close range point shooting for close in needs.

The problem with both lights and lasers is they work in both directions and most people don't understand that if you have them on so you can see the bad guys can see you. Now having said all that I think if you use them right way they area great tool. But do not replace sights.

Lights and lasers show where your gun is at. And I don’t believe it’s a good training tool since you’re going to use the laser instead of the sights not both.
You see them all the time in hollymakeitupwood movies. Sometimes there are 10 or more lasers flashing across the room. For me that’s one more reason not to use them.
I also feel that for an untrained person it can save their lives so it’s a good thing.
But if you need low light help to see your sights there are tritium sights that work much better than lasers and never run out of batteries.

I can understand having one on a gun for training, if it helps you, or improving aiming in low light situations. But keep in mind, for a self defense handgun, a laser other than a grip activated one is a waste of money, IMHO anyway. Why have something additional to fiddle with when fractions of a second count in an intensely fast paced defensive situation?

I thought about getting a set of laser sight grips for one of my 1911's because it would be cool to have one, but I haven't gotten around to spending the money on that yet when there's other things more important to me -- like money towards another gun. ;)

Fun with lasers:

Something I enjoy doing it taking wife's compact, or mechanic's inspection mirror and shooting without looking.

I get behind cover and poke the mirror out until I can see the target, then stick the gun out and get the laser on the target via the mirror. I can engage targets without exposing anything but my gun hand.

It takes a bit of practice but you can get pretty accurate.

MissPistol

I'm sure when front sights were first used on a gun (rifle or pistol) some of the users at the time probably said that they were a crutch for the less skilled shooter. Now some say the same for lasers.

I'm with kraigwy
One must understand that laser sights supplement the pistol's iron sights, they don't replace them.

In low light situation they are the ultimate night sights. I have them on my several pistols. Now that some universal lasers cost $100 it seems a no brainer to me.

I don't think they can replace normal sights. But coupled with a momentary switch they can be useful at night or with odd shooting positions. I have a CT on my LCP and really like it.

Read the book "No Easy Day" written by one of the SEALS that was on the team that participated in the OBL mission. If the SEALS consider them an indespensable tool, they aren't a gimmick. Those guys use what works, no more, no less.

They aren't perfect, but are one more tool that offers you options other sights do not. They are expensive, and my not be worth the price to everyone. I know I used to think they were more gimmick than actually useful until I bought a used gun with CT grips on it. My plan was to buy new grips and sell the CT grips. Until I actually tried them. I'd still have a hard time spending the money for them, but I have learned to appreciate what they can do.

I have a streamlight tlr-4 laser light combo on my semi auto HD gun. The only reason why I have it is for little to no light conditions. I will take my chance to be able to see my target versus shoot at someone in the dark. Accuracy matters. Why do you think most LEO's have TLR-1 lights on their guns? Have you ever had a light that bright shine in your eyes? It's very disorientating. Automatic confusion and blindness. Your call, the tlr-4 has the laser with the light so I can acquire my target without having to be looking down the irons.

Read the book "No Easy Day" written by one of the SEALS that was on the team that participated in the OBL mission. If the SEALS consider them an indespensable tool, they aren't a gimmick. Those guys use what works, no more, no less.

Ask yourself how they use them. ...I'm not a seal, but it looks like they mostly use IR lasers when they have those bulky night vision goggles on. Just guessing, but I imagine that night vision goggles through an EO Tech or Aimpoint is a no go due to the angles.

Any operator types who can comment on NV goggles + dot sight use?

Also, IR lasers make great planning tools without alerting the enemy you are pointing at them.

Many of the guns I am reading about have built-in lasers.

Only the S&W .380 Bodyguard is what I would call "built in". All else are add ons, usually not so well integrated.

My gut is telling me that it could become a sort of crutch, and that aiming using the sights is the right way to learn. But maybe I simply don't know enough of the potential applications. Opinions?

Low light shooting, impaired vision shooting.

A crutch?

A laser can be a crutch? Well, maybe for a target shooter. But it's nothing but "dead on" in self defense. That's what my guns are for: self defense, not plinking around a target range.

Back