Building Bolt 700 vs buying and modding

My $.02...

Many smiths that specialize in the 700 platform have trued actions, in stock that they can use for your build, for about six bills.

I think it's best to source your barrel, stock, and other aftermarket parts yourself- get them all together, and send them to the smith in one shot.

Most of the wait time horror stories you hear about year-long plus builds are often due to the time taken to source parts. If you get everything together, find a smith with a slot and a time commitment and then send the whole ball of wax...

Mark at SAC has a pretty good rep, just one example...

http://shortactioncustoms.com/?cat=3

I don't see any logic in buying an off-the-shelf rifle, unless you've got a necessity to shoot something (like hunting season) before you "gut it" and send off the action. You can get a few bucks for the factory stock, trigger, and barrel...but I can't see the hassle...

Now, I like the 700 platform...and I also like Savage...

Did you know you can get barrels for the 700, and install them yourself just like on a Savage (called Rem-Age..) from Criterion Barrels. Buy a trued action...stock, trigger and put her together...

Call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply if interested...

http://criterionbarrels.com/productpages/prefits.html

do you require any special tools to install that barrel? and will it give the accuracy of a krieger or someting like that?

Read my post "out of the box magic". I can't imagine putting more money into my SPS and having it shoot better. It shoots (premium ammo) almost one hole groups at 100.

And I'm leary about buying used rifles.. Might be there because of problems.

do you require any special tools to install that barrel? and will it give the accuracy of a krieger or someting like that?

Far as I know, it's just a barrel nut wrench like a Savage.
Criterion was "spun off" from Krieger in 1999...
http://criterionbarrels.com/about.html

Guys using their barrels on Savage builds have reported excellent results.
Criterion are button rifled, Kriegers are cut rifled. Either/both can result in very accurate barrels...

If you've got the time, and the $$, and aren't a hardcore DIY'er, have a smith build it for ya...with an accuracy guarantee.

If you're like me, hardcore DIY, with more time than money these days, they're not a difficult project. I just finished a Savage build- including making my own stock- and it's a fun "hobby". Now that mine is done, I'm going to re-barrel my son's 700 (currently .223) in a more long-range capable caliber with the Rem-Age system.

I've found a few different guns I am considering. Decided to buy a factory 700 and mod as I go. I plan to use it for target shooting, and white tail hunting but mainly target shooting. Furthest distance i would probably shoot is out to 600 yards. I am leaning towards a varmint barreled gun with a 20" barrel. Or I could get a more typical hunting rifle contour barrel in 24". Or I can get varmint contour at 24".

Of those three configurations which would you favor? I see myself target shooting much more than hunting with it. I can target shoot all year long, hunt during season. I will use my .223 AR for varmints.

Since you're building it bit by bit you need to figure out what you really want - i.e a light weight hunting rifle that's more accurate then average, or a target rifle that isn't a full benchrest rifle and hence can still be carried in the field.

When you hunt do you shoot offhand or off a rest?

You wont be able to shoot a heavy barrel offhand which you may need .

I have a Howa 1500 with a varmint barrel and it needs to be on a rest or bipod, i wouldnt be able to hold a 6" group offhand at 100 meters because of the weight.

You can shoot a heavy barreled rifle offhand...people do it all the time in competition. That's not to say it's easy but it's not impossible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknZhZ1PXN0

If recoil fatigue is a concern you can always add a brake. After excessive rounds during a range session or competition even a .308 will wear you down IMO

Either rout is going to be expensive. A cheaper way of getting an action is going to a pawn shop or the equivalent of one and picking up an 700 short action in x caliber. More than likely can find it cheaper than buying a brand new action.

That being said i went with the factory rifle rout. And am continually building on it. Overall i still stick with my choice. Having the rifle to be able to shoot was more of a necessity than waiting to get the exact rifle i wanted; though i'm still not finished with it. I just sent it off for a bolt knob and DBM. When it gets back i will probably run it as is for another year then rebarrel, new trigger, paint it, and be done. If you like a single stage trigger i'd just have a smith adjust the x-mark to 1-2.5lbs, mine's at 1lb with no creep and it works. I'm favorable to two stage triggers though so i'll be putting a huber tactics in it before it's all over.

700 5R - 1000$
McM A5 - 500$
Bedding job - 300$
bolt knob/DBM inlet/install - 600$ total

So about 2400$ into it and not done yet, though i've been able to shoot it every step of the way up until now. The initial price of the SPS shouldn't be anywhere around the 5R though so you should be able to save some money in that area.

402451_2563650212306_1820396325_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back