Heinrich

This is a project I am busy working on.

This is how the barrel was born.

Thor.jpg

Thor2.jpg

Thor3.jpg

Thor4.jpg

Thor5.jpg

Here is the progress on the carraige, basically the woodwork is done. I now only need to finish the where you can see the burn marks on the wood.

I used wallnut, and it took most of the afternoon to make the joints so that the beams in between the 2 rails penetrate the rails themselves.

P1010142.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010144.jpg

Ok, here be more progress. Trunnions in, and the little cup thingy is welded in place behind the flash hole.

Thor10.jpg

Thor11.jpg

Technically the barrel is finished, ready to be mounted on the weekend.

Mortar

Looks like a pretty good project. I always wanted one. However, the one I wanted was like the mortar I saw at the Western National Rendezvious in Utah 20+ years ago. A guy from Nevada had a bowling ball mortar. It used a 12Ga shell full of BP and sent that bowling ball quite a ways up and out in the range. He had an eye screw with a rope attached so it was easier to retreave the ball. I just always thought it was great and wanted one.

Only reason why I did not get this mortar in a larger size is near impossibility of getting bowling balls to shoot in South Africa. :cool:

Thanks guys, I'll weld up the flashhole before I send it... ;)

Postage for a project like this will be about ZAR1,200.00 that is equal to about $150.00, depending of the exchange rate on the day.

I finished the bed today. Post pics tomorrow.

I've always wanted to have a Coehorn Mortar shoot at our local gun club.

Only one problem, got no mortar. You have a shop there! Fantastic. Am I jealous of that!

The prescription for you from the Doc today is to have lots of fun with that.
Looks great!

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Last edited:
Once the barrel is back from sandblasting, it can be fitted.

P1010147.jpg

P1010148.jpg

Thanks for the compliment guys, I have really enjoyed every step of this project. Kind of a childhood dream come true.

Back