building a ar pistol

iceman320

what would be the longest barrel I can put on my ar pistol? can i put a 14.5 inch barrel on it and still still call it a pistol?

I'm not sure that any of the 50 states has a maximum length law on any handguns or a minimum length either but maybe just maybe crazy Nancy has changed that in places. I do know that if you want to assemble a pistol lower as a rifle you must place a rifle upper on your lower before placing the stock on the lower half. I know that this sounds stupid but sometimes the wrong people get in office.

Last edited:
Its a pistol when the lower is logged as a pistol on the 4473. You can put any barrel length you want on it, its still, and always will be a pistol. You can assemble it as a rifle, IF it was originally a pistol, but then it must meet rifle requirements, 16" or longer barrel, overall length of 26" or greater. You can also go back to pistol configuration at will, but only if it started as a pistol.

If it started as a rifle, then you must register it as a SBR and pay the Tax

I know you didnt ask for all that, but I felt like saying it

Last edited:
iceman320 what would be the longest barrel I can put on my ar pistol? can i put a 14.5 inch barrel on it and still still call it a pistol?
No ATF regulation limits the length of a pistol bbl.

weblance Its a pistol when the lower is logged as a pistol on the 4473.
100% absolutely and totally wrong.
An AR lower is recorded on the 4473 as "Other firearm", meaning it is neither handgun or long gun. Read the instructions on the 4473.;)

An AR lower is recorded on the 4473 as "Other firearm", meaning it is neither handgun or long gun. Read the instructions on the 4473
Yup. I went through this last year at this time when I picked up a couple of lowers for pistol builds.

Told the dealer I wanted to have them registered as "handguns", so I had a paper trail. He did so, and sent the state police thier copy of the handgun sale.

Next time I was in, they said that the state police kicked it back saying they werent "handguns" and were "other firearms".

I suppose that 4473 still says "handgun" on it, as I didnt fill out another.

While I understand the "other" category, I dont see how you, or anyone else, can prove what you did beyond that point. So basically, whats the point and whats it do?

You'd think they would want the one or the other, handgun/rifle category over the "other", as it gives them more control. It also seems it would be better for the builder from a purely legal standpoint, having it registered as a handgun, as it really doesnt matter what happens beyond that, and other than maybe configuration of the moment, it can be either/or.

Its all foolishness anyway, but I suppose THATS really the whole point.

Interesting that the lower is classified as "other firearm" when things like virgin Ruger 10/22 receivers can be listed as pistols.

weblance Interesting that the lower is classified as "other firearm" when things like virgin Ruger 10/22 receivers can be listed as pistols.
Again, 100% absolutely and totally wrong.
ATF regs are clear........firearm frames and receivers are NOT handguns or long guns. THEY ARE OTHER FIREARMS.

Please read the instructions to Question 18 on the 4473.

If the receiver isnt configured as a handgun or long gun, then its a "other". How could it be anything but?

PA State Police (we are required to file paperwork on handguns) would not register the stripped lower as a handgun, because it was not. I tried.

I dont see how a 10/22 "receiver", or any other reciever for that matter, would be any different.

The NFA is a whole different critter, and really has nothing to do with this.

ATF regs are clear........firearm frames and receivers are NOT handguns or long guns. THEY ARE OTHER FIREARMS.

Regardless of who is right or wrong, one thing is certain, ATF regs are never clear. If they were clear, then AR lower receivers would simply be classified as "chunk of metal, plastic or whatever with holes and stuff milled into it"

Change your user name to Old Bill Wrongagain

Old Bill Dibble Quote:
An AR lower is recorded on the 4473 as "Other firearm", meaning it is neither handgun or long gun. Read the instructions on the 4473.

No. This is wrong.
Good grief............it's not wrong and obviously you didn't read the instructions on the 4473.

Quote:
“Other”
refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that are not either handguns or
long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel
a shotgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms.

Now you could register an AR lower as an NFA weapon but that would require registering it as an NFA firearm with the requisite paperwork.
Wrong again.
You really should stop posting because you have absolutely no clue about what you are posting.
A Form 4473 doesn't "register" jack squat. To "register" an NFA firearm you file a Form 1 if you are a maker, a Form 2 if a manufacturer. ( a Form 4 is to transfer an NFA firearm)

You can also register a 10/22 receiver as a pistol, rifle or other as well.
100% wrong. Flat wrong. So wrong it defies common sense. So wrong that you shouldn't post about anything to do with firearms law ever again.
Since you refuse to read the instructions on the Form 4473, try reading this Open Letter to FFL's from ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/all-ffls-july2009-open-letter-selling-or-delivering-firearms-frames-or/download

How you register it makes a huge difference later on as you can not legally turn a rifle in to a pistol but you can do the reverse.
Guess what? Once again.......WRONG.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2011-4-pistols-configured-rifles-rifles-configured-pistols/download

Weblance is correct and AK's State Police are wrong. But gotta ask why are the State Police nosing about in 4473's anyway? There may be some funky state law that requires registration in certain way but this would be on top of Federal guidelines.
You and Weblance need to take turns reading to each other.

Skans
Quote:

Regardless of who is right or wrong, one thing is certain, ATF regs are never clear. If they were clear, then AR lower receivers would simply be classified as "chunk of metal, plastic or whatever with holes and stuff milled into it"
Sorry, but this ATF regulation is crystal clear....if people bother to read it.
Sadly, it's a not uncommon question on several dealer only forums.
(many dealers don't bother to read the instructions either. ;) )

You can constuct a registered pistol into a rifle configuration but it is still a pistol.
If you go to sell said pistol you must follow your state laws for the sell of a pistol which range from nothing to impossible across the nation.

Does anyone actually read any of these ATF regs?

rep1954 You can constuct a registered pistol into a rifle configuration but it is still a pistol.
Not according to Federal law & ATF regulations.

Pistol>Rifle>Pistol is fine.........but while configured as a rifle it most definitely IS A RIFLE.

If you go to sell said pistol you must follow your state laws for the sell of a pistol which range from nothing to impossible across the nation.
Please name one state where the sale of a pistol is impossible.:rolleyes:

Unless you live in Utah, or a similar state with an overall length or barrel length limit for handguns, you can do whatever you want: 7.5", 14", 36" ... doesn't matter.

(Last time I checked, anything over 12" is in a 'dead zone' in Utah. The stupid definitions used by the state disqualify it as a handgun, a shotgun, a rifle, and the catch all 'other firearms'. So, it can't even fit into the general 'firearm' definition, and becomes a bastard in an undefined dead zone. Technically, it can't exists, even though the definitions create a logical paradox.)

If you ever intend to HUNT with the AR pistol, the restrictions may be more severe, however. Hunting regulations are almost always more restrictive and more precise.

weblance said:
Its a pistol when the lower is logged as a pistol on the 4473.
No. A new lower is always logged on the 4473 as an "other".

weblance said:
Interesting that the lower is classified as "other firearm" when things like virgin Ruger 10/22 receivers can be listed as pistols.
Nope. Any dealer who lists a new 10/22 receiver as a pistol is an idiot. It's an "other", period.

weblance said:
OK WHATEVER
Dogtown Tom might not always give the most tactful responses, but he's 100% right here.

Skans said:
Regardless of who is right or wrong, one thing is certain, ATF regs are never clear.
You obviously haven't bothered to read the relevant ATF regs on this subject, they're extremely clear.

rep1954 said:
You can constuct a registered pistol into a rifle configuration but it is still a pistol.
Nope. Federal law would consider it a rifle at that point.

Originally Posted by rep1954
Nope. Federal law would consider it a rifle at that point.

I live in the state of Michigan and have purchased 4 stripped AR15 lowers and each time they were registered as pistols. If I sell one of the lowers in the state of Michigan no matter what configuration it is in at the time I am selling a registered pistol lower. No matter how I configure the lower legal or illegal the lower is still a pistol lower. If I build with a barrel less than 16" and put stock on the buffer tube it is not a SBR it is a illegally configured pistol.

Back