Buffalo Bore +P Loads out of a Bond Arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know if anyone here has fired Buffalo Bore 45 Colt +P Loads out of a Bond Arms Derringer? Does this seem safe to do, I have contacted Buffalo Bore to see what there opinion on it is but I wanted to see what everyone here thought on it.

Only if you have really good medical insurance. If you need that level of power consider trading up to a different gun.

dude

You are shooting a derringer with a really short barrel. It would be a waste of money and power to shoot it out of a short barrel. Also You don't need +P in your derringer.

steve

I shot one 45ACP out of my Downsizer. No body else wanted to try it at the range. The web of my hand hurt for a few days.

Downsizer_WSP_Revolver_1.jpg

I bought a Bond Arms 45/410 cheap a while back. Since the gun looked pretty strong, I decided to try a "Ruger only" load in it...a 255 grain cast bullet in front of a hefty charge of 296. It chronographed, IIRC, at only 580 fps and the trigger guard rapped my middle finger so hard I almost dropped the thing. I sold it shortly thereafter for more than I paid for it...

45LC+P is NOT the normal "+P" case. Most of the time "+P" means "10% extra pressure". 45LC+P means something else entirely! Here's the breakdown:

45LC Black Powder: Colt SAAs prior to about 1895 had cast iron frames and weak cylinders. No new-made guns are limited to this that I know of, except for maybe cartridge conversions of open-tops.

45LC: standard pressure is 14k. The only guns limited to this are old-fashioned breaktop types, and Colt SAAs made before WW2. Closed-top cartridge conversions (Ruger Old Army, 1858 Remmies) can cope at this level.

45LC "Modern" loads: in any sane world these would be +P, except that these came AFTER the +P loads below. These "modern standard" are OK in Colt SAAs from after WW2, the Ruger New Vaquero, the various Italian solid-frame Colt SAA clones, etc. Loads involve 200gr JHPs/JSPs doing 1,100fps, or hardcast 255s doing 1,000fps. Pressure peaks at 22k. *Probably* fine in a Bond Arms. A good clue is, if the gun also ships as a 45ACP (peak pressure is 22k) the same gun can cope with 22k 45LC loads. Cor-Bon calls at least one of these loads (their "combat load" 200gr JHP) "+P" - incorrectly in my opinion.

45LC+P: pressure runs as high as 33k. These are meant for 44Magnum-class guns with cylinders heat-treated to 44Magnum specs. Originally that meant the large-frame Ruger single actions, later expanded to the Colt Anaconda, Magnum Research BFR in 45LC and Thomson single-shots. The later-gen S&W model 25s can handle 25k or so, and a few of the Cor-Bon real +P loads from the hunting part of the catalog are compatible with these specifically. But for the most part, "+P" excludes all the S&W N-frames. If you shoot +P in a Bond Arms derringer you are nuts.

I've shot and have on hand 325gr .45 Colt BB loads for my Ruger Redhawk. They are advertised @1325fps. I was getting 1240-1280fps out of a 4" barrel. They are uncomfortable to say the least, even with a Hogue grip. I don't target shoot with these things. I've shot enough just to dial the gun in. The rest really are on reserve and strictly for business in the event I don't have any of my top-end reloads available.

I can't imagine lighting one off out of a Derringer.

But if you're er.....insistent enough to try, please video it and post it on You Tube so the rest of us can watch.

Side note I just found a Derringer that fires a 45/70....please anyone who has opinions on this feel free to share.

Reread my above comments, then multiply by 5.

Last edited:
NO!!! Buffalo Bore's .45 Long Colt +P loadings are specifically intended for large frame Ruger revolvers and other similarly strong guns like the Colt Anaconda, Freedom Arms, or T/C Encore. Attempting to shoot them in a Bond Arms derringer is likely to cause damage to the gun, if not injury to the shooter.

When it comes to revolvers, particularly big powerful ones, Jim March is a very wise man. I would urge you to take his advice at this particular juncture.

Having tried it myself, ONCE, let me offer the following bit of advice.
Should the urge strike you to try this again, find a comfortable chair and sit in it until the urge passes..

It would be much cheaper to just go out to the garage and lay your hand down on the bench and whack the crap out of it with a ball peen hammer.....

I've fired a few 225 grain semi wadcutters through mine. Could imagine shooting anything much more powerful.

to the OP

You are shooting a derringer with a really short barrel. It would be a waste of money and power to shoot it out of a short barrel. Also You don't need +P in your derringer.

I quoted one of the responses to your OriginalPost. I have a derringer and had thought originally I wanted one of the ones with a higher caliber. bottom line up front, listen to the responses. Though I wouldn't be scared to fire one of these derringers, anything more than a 38 derringer is overkill in my opinion(and a watse of money...you are paying more for something that doesn't make sense). get the 38 derringer and some good ammo and you'll be happy down the road you listened

A 38 may do the job, BUT

A 38 may do the job, BUT you will most likely have to actually shoot someone with it to find out. No way will a 38 have the same stopping power as a 45 Colt. If I point my 45 Colt Bond at some perp and he stares down those two gaping bores he would have to be certifiably insane or mentally retarded to keep coming. I doubt if I will ever have to actually fire it at someone.

^ +1 on this. Buffalo Bore makes a 225 grain wadcutter that's really stout load, but it's not +P and will be safe to shoot a lot in the Bond Arms. I would NEVER shoot any of Buffalo Bore's +P ammo that they say is only for Ruger's, Freedom Arms, and T/C Contenders in a derringer.

Also, skip the .45-70 derringer, it's practically worthless when you can get yourself a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull if you want to fracture your wrist. It gets better performance from the short barrel over .45-70 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back