Buffalo Bore 9mm rounds

drive_sideways

Hey all

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buffalo bore rounds, mainly in 9mm, but if anyone has experience in other calibers i would also appreciate the input.
I carry a 9mm when im hiking in blackie country and i am currently using hornady +p JHP's but im not sure how they would penetrate through a bears noggin if he decides to come at me.
I dont think a JHP is the best bullet for punching through thick hide and skull.
Which is why i would like input on how the hard cast buffalo bore rounds shoot, are they worth the $?
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've worked with a bunch of BB's loads in several calibers.
Expensive, but if you want the performance but don't want to build your own, he does all the lab & development work for you.

Power & accuracy are built in.

I would not depend on a 9mm JHP against a determined bear, even a blackie.
Not a confidence-builder in penetrating either a bear's skull or deep layers of fat.
Denis

I've worked with a bunch of BB's loads in several calibers.

Expensive, but if you want the performance but don't want to build your own, he does all the lab & development work for you.

Power & accuracy are built in.

I would not depend on a 9mm JHP against a determined bear, even a blackie.

Not a confidence-builder in penetrating either a bear's skull or deep layers of fat.

Denis

I dont handload, although I would love to learn.
I was reading up about ballistics and bullet types, and according to my research my FMJ flat tip 147 grain target rounds would be better then the +p 124 grain hollow points when it comes to penetrating a bears skull, even tho they are roughly 400 fps slower then the +p JHP's.
Those target rounds are from what ive read better then the JHP's, but something with a little more power would be nice, and buffalo bore seems to make some of the best hard hitting factory loads.
Does the ammo get shipped to your door or to a gun shop?
Sorry for the noob like questions, i dont order gun related stuff off the internet normally.

I'm going to disagree (respectfully) with the argument that a 9mm +p is not enough to drop a black bear. Bullet placement and bullet construction is key. Many a black bear has been dropped by a cowboy loaded 45lc, and 9mm+p is hotter. Are you going to get better performance from a 454 casull or 44 mag? Yes, but you only get 5 shots. 17 rounds of hot loaded 9mm+p from buffalo bore specially made for the outdoors is a totally acceptable choice for woods carry in black bear country. Grizzlys are a different story.

Can't speak to the 9mm or any of the auto loader rounds. BB is so hot I am afraid I might get a slide in my forehead. Very pleased with the .44 mags and .454 hard cast bear loads.

A JHP is not going to penetrate as well as a hard cast bullet.

If you have the misfortune of having to use a 9mm pistol in self defense against a charging black bear, your chances will be better using a hardcast bullet rather than a JHP.

I'm going to disagree (respectfully) with the argument that a 9mm +p is not enough to drop a black bear. Bullet placement and bullet construction is key. Many a black bear has been dropped by a cowboy loaded 45lc, and 9mm+p is hotter. Are you going to get better performance from a 454 casull or 44 mag? Yes, but you only get 5 shots. 17 rounds of hot loaded 9mm+p from buffalo bore specially made for the outdoors is a totally acceptable choice for woods carry in black bear country. Grizzlys are a different story.

I dont think he wasnt saying +p's wont, i think he was saying a hollow point round in general, +p or not, may not be the best round when it comes to penetrating a bears skull even with more powder behind it as it would expand quite rapidly on impact and would most likely break apart.
+p's are most definitely what i'd rather have loaded when it comes to shooting anything, with a proper flat tip FMJ or HC bullet it would definitely do the job as the average black bears in my neck of the woods are roughly around 300 lbs. A guy my father works with dropped a charging one while hunting in a corn field with a 9mm, one shot to the head when it was about 2 feet away. To close for his scoped rifle lol.
My main question was are the buffalo bore rounds worth the $, and it seems like they are.

Good point I missed the jhp part. Yes anything in an outdoors 9mm load should be fmj or HC. Preferably flat point.

Good point I missed the jhp part. Yes anything in an outdoors 9mm load should be fmj or HC. Preferably flat point.

I just switched my mags over to my standard pressure FMJ flat points for now.
I'll order a some buffalo bore rounds next week.
Do u know if they ship right to your house?

Again- I would not count on a 9mm JHP in such circumstances.
Bear skulls are notoriously thick & fat layers will open up a 9mm JHP with little effective penetration.

BB should deliver to your door.
Denis

I've had BB ship directly to my door. Shipping was really pricey though. If you can find the BB load your looking for elsewhere (say midwayusa) you might get a better deal on shipping.

It's been about a year since I ordered direct from them but I remember that I bought two boxes for $27 each and then paid over $20 for shipping. I think they give you better deals if you make a larger order, but afterwards I was wishing I had shopped online a little more because I later found the same load on another site for slighly cheaper, with cheaper shipping. Except for the price they did a great job. Got to my door very fast.

One thing to consider re expenses with BB is that this is not range ammo.
It's not plinking ammo.

You're not gonna be shooting a lot of it.
You sight in a couple rounds to get a match between it & your gun, and you shoot something else for practice & fun.
Denis

Penetrating the bear's skull is a matter of impact speed AND angle. I have seen the black bear that had five .30-30 bullets bounced off its skull, without penetration. One round through the chest dropped it.

Its the angle of the impact that is critical, with speed being a modifier. Faster rounds can actually be more likely to be deflected by the curves of the skull.

Elephant and Cape Buffalo hunter have found solids to be best for penetration of those skulls. I expect similar results for bear skulls as well.

No matter how hot you jack up the 9mm Luger, its not what I would prefer to take on an angry bear with. But if you must, you must. Might not be a bad idea to study the bear a bit, learn where the vitals actually are, inside that baggy bear suit. And maybe not plan on shooting them in the head.

Through the mouth (breaking the neck) is reputed to work, but it takes some nerve, so I hear...
:rolleyes:

Speed and a tough/hard bullet are what you want for busting through dangerous animals skulls. Like you, I have low powered automatic pistols for protection. A .45acp with a 5" barrel and a .40 with a 4" barrel. For woods carry I prefer the larger .45, because I am more accurate with it and prefer it's slight increase in power.

They say you should aim for the nose/upper lip of a bear while charging because of the location of its brain relayed to the angle of its head while charging. I will get some Buffalo bore or Underwood heavy hardcast +p for the woods when I can afford it, but for now I have a box of old Speer lawman 200gr flat point fmj that I feel will do the trick.

Weight equals momentum which equals penetration, but speed is what it takes to make it through hard targets, like a skull. Think about how a 9mm does much better at punching through metal than anything slower. I would use +p 147gr fmj or hardcast if I were you

Back