Buffalo Arms .44 Wad Punch

Paper gasket material from the auto parts store works good.
Especially the thicker version if it's available.
That's all I've used for years.

I've had Harold (Ohio Ramrod), a retired machinist, make custom punches for me.

My initial foray into bp wads came from the possible shop. Their .44 caliber wads were .480 in diameter and I had mine made to that size. These fit snug and scrape the barrel well. So, for all of our calibers, we have them sized .032 over chamber diameter for a good fit and they work great with Durofelt.

Re egg cartons.
There are 2 kinds, one is paper mache the other foam plastic.
Don't use the foam plastic ones!
;)

I use a 1/2" punch for both my .50 Hawken's under ball wads & the .44 Uberti wads.
What I do to punch them out is lay several egg carton halves together in 6~7 layers. The top 6 are cut for wads the bottom is a backstop allowing the punch edge to cut cleanly through those above it in the stack. I also punch them dry & then tumble in a little pot with a few drops of Olive Oil afterwards. I find the dry paper mache cuts much better than oiled does.

That's a good idea for the backstop, I ended up using a wooden cutting board, it works great. I followed Mike Belvieu's method where I pour the melted lube on the felt and then punch them out. I'll try punching them dry then lubing them next

It might work with felt as well, but I'm using egg cartons for the wads as well as the backstop.
Who knows? Give it a spin & let us know.:D

What a mess, I punched about 150 wads out, melted some lube, and put the wads in and stirred them around until they were fully lubed. Then I tooked the wads out and put them on a sheet to dry, and a little puddle formed under each wad. When they were dry there was excess lube on each one, I hope this doesn't contaminate the powder when i go to use them. I'll go back to using Mike's method

What a mess, I punched about 150 wads out, melted some lube, and put the wads in and stirred them around until they were fully lubed.

Seems you like to do things the hard way! :rolleyes:

Next time, lube your material first, then punch out the wads. Skip the Crisco and use an original recipe that works without much fuss. Myself and others have posted what works for us all over the web, multiple times as nobody uses the search feature anymore, we all just repost the same stuff over and over and over! :D

I lube then punch and the scrap left over I use for fire starters. Still cook on a kitchen wood stove in the Winter.

Back