Budget DIY HD shotgun

It's been interesting reading all the different opinions. I'm not concerned with it having a cylinder choke since that's what I would want on a home defense gun anyway. I have lots of other shotguns that I can use for hunting, sporting clays, etc. I would not have done this to a fine gun or rare gun and don't feel bad about doing it to a private label Mossberg. Thanks for all the compliments on my handiwork.

I've been considering a project like this as well.

I'd like to find a 500A at a really good price and pick up an 18.5" factory barrel for it, add a TactaLoad Flash 5 and a Streamlight TL-Racker to it. Swapping barrels is easy, so the gun could do double duty as a home defense/hunting gun.

I like the look of what you've done, and long barrels seem to be less expensive, so a cut barrel might be a cheaper option for the home defense setup.

similar 1100

I did a similar project on a 20 gauge 1100 for my wife. Shortened the stock too. I'm a total heathen.

Attachments

• 1100.jpg
    1100.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1100-2.jpg
    1100-2.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 78
Good looking 1100.
I see no issue with cutting a gun if it gets it back in circulation. There are a lot of 30" very full choke pump guns hanging in the back of a lot of safes.

Yes even a beloved Model 12 can become a home defense blaster, there are a ton of basic field guns, their duck hunting days are over.

I see no issue, don't mess with the graded guns. They did manufacture more than a couple, if it gets them back burning powder, I'm all for it.

At least some of those pesky whippersnappers can learn about ordinance steel and walnut, even if there might be a little less of it.

I love it and that’s good old American ingenuity. At the end of the day, you did nothing different than what they would have done at a gun shop for the most part. Take pride in your craftsmanship! Also, I’m a big proponent for giving used guns a new home.

I did the same with one of my model 1300s and it’s a clay smasher:)

484e5896-50ac-4aa1-93eb-9ec76e2c614b.jpeg

Back