Budget 22-250

Mal H said:
Don't trust my experience though, instead read some reviews of the rifle and you might be convinced that is the way to go if you can find one that hasn't been driven too hard.

There are rifles in certain chambers I usually won't buy used with exceptions. .223 Rem, .22-250 and .243 Win usually top the list. They usually are "driven" a little hard and I've bought some used up rifles in the past in those cartridges. Then you have to decide what to do with them.

^^ True, and of those three the 22-250 can be the most worn out. I never push my loads into the hot zone. The only bullets I use that go over the 3,500 FPS line are some occasional 45 grainers, and I don't load those for max vel.

With any used rifle purchase, the purchaser should always be able to physically inspect the barrel for wear. With a cartridge such as a 220 Swift, I would automatically suspect a barrel is worn out until proven innocent. ;)

What style of hunting you said ground squirrels and prairie dogs are you planning on staying mostly in one spot?If so I’d be looking at the Savage 10/110 heavy barrel rifles

I probably would pick out a cheap ar-10 in that caliber for less than $600. Easy to change out a worn barrel. 1-1.5moa no problem. Can be better than 1moa with tinkering.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm surprised nobody has mention a Savage. You can find them around $300 I have one, a 110 with a bull barrel that shoots lights out. It has a 4-20 Leopold on top of it. Scope cost three times what the rifle did.

“I would keep my eye open for a clean Savage 10 or 110. Back in the 80’s I bought two new 110E’s, one 223 the other 22-250. The 22-250 is long gone but that rifle would shoot sub 1/2” 100yd groups all day with Federal 40gr Blitz. They both are thin barrel guns with open sights. I gave the 223 to my Dad for Christmas which is why it’s still around, one of my favorite rifles.”
Maybe someone already did?;)

Those old birch stock 110’s are very underrated. I also have a scope on my.223 that cost considerably more than the rifle did when bought new.

Got my new to me Savage Axis. Trigger was pretty poor but I clipped 2 coils off the spring and now it's acceptable. Took a box to get it dialed in perfect and then I was busting beer bottles at 250 yards off my pickup flatbed with the cheapest ammo I could find on Ammo Seek.

Overall seems pretty cheap and flimsy, but that's what I expected. The accuracy is superb - better than I expected. I can't see well enough through the Bushnell 3-9x40 to test it on bottles any farther out.

Should be deadly on Prairie Dogs out to 400 yards at least.

Back