Buckshot choke

Redrick,

Can I assume your shotgun shot low with all the different chokes, and loads?

Last edited:
Yes it did and I wasn't going to put any more money in it to fix the problem. I could have sent it back to the factory on my dime. So I sold it for about what I would have lost on shipping it back to the factory.

Too bad it wasn't a Beretta or Benelli, a complete stock kit runs about twenty bucks plus shipping. My first trap gun was an 870 with a borrowed 30" barrel, and I build the stock up with cardborad & duct tape. Which move the POI about a foot higher than the POA (prefect for trap).

Last edited:
About 30 years ago, the Police Marksman's Association tested buckshot and chokes.
They used an 870 with riot gun 18" cylinder bore, commercial slug barrel 20" IC, a 20" with Polychoke and a 20" with screw chokes, I think the Walker full thread style.

The very best (tightest) patterns were with Winchester 000, eight pellets in Grex filler, fired from the Improved Modified screw tube.

Things might be different with current shells, but the point was that buckshot responded to choke better than they expected.

Agree with the idea that the idea of buckshot is multiple hits, not scattershot to make up for poor aim.

Back