Buckshot choke

davem

Does a choke used just for buckshot produce a better pattern? I thought you had to try a variety of chokes and there was no way to tell what works best until testing various loads and chokes?

I don't feel they would be enuff better than a Mod or Imp Mod to buy one if you already have one or both of those...

But I have ZERO experience with them... In fact this is the first I heard of one designated for buckshot...

Brent

Davem,

I agree, the pattern board is your best friend.:)

I have used Carlson's "Coyote Choke" with #4 buck, while hunting coyotes. It is devastating on the dogs. I almost cut one coyote in half at about 50 yards.:cool:

But I'm sure your mileage may differ.:D

One round of Universal #7 1/2 field load and one round of Olin milspec 00 Buck, from my old 70's Remington Wingmaster, factory 30" full (fixed) choke barrel. Range was 40 yards.

870-40_zps38954085.jpg

If a designated buckshot choke will beat that, it's doing pretty good.

Does a choke used just for buckshot produce a better pattern? I thought you had to try a variety of chokes and there was no way to tell what works best until testing various loads and chokes?

I have an 18" FNH SLP that came with a threaded barrel and a couple of flush mount choke tubes. I bought a few choke tubes from Carlson as well and I'm use the improved cylinder one for HD. My other pump shotguns do not have a chokes and just using a cylinder bore. If I got into hunting the I would buy a shotgun with a longer barrel and would be threaded to accommodate a choke tube.

I'm using the improved cylinder choke so I can switch out and use slugs.

I have to apologize for my first post.... I had a chemo brain moment and was thinking M and IM related to what I use for slugs:o

Brent

IC is hard to beat in a short shotgun where slugs & buckshot need to used interchangeably. After about 30 years of fiddling with the things, I believe an IC barrel adds about ten yards to your 00 Buck range; and it won't embarrass you if you want to jump-shoot a few doves or quail with the same gun.

I have never shot a slug out of a screw in choked barrel. Does anyone know if it is safe out of standard remington 870? I assume 00 buck would just get compressed and some deformity. More concerned about a slug ripping out the choke.

The reason I asked is because buckshot is so large that I thought it was sort of stacked in layers within the case and since the diameters of 1, 0, 00, etc are different, the best choke can vary with the load, in other words you might get a shotgun that patterns better with a M choke for say 0 buck versus a full because the full might squeeze the pellets too much and disrupt the layer of buckshot- if that makes sense.

Thanks Bake.

Someone above asked about shooting slugs through a screw-in choke. I shot quite a few through my old 870 Special Purpose and never had any kind of a problem. its 21" Remchoke barrel did a passable job with slugs, using the IC tube. Five shots of 2 3/4" Super X slugs at 50 yards 'stacking the beads'. Would have had 'em all in about 3 1/2", had I not tossed one.

630_870E.jpg

If you're asking if choke works for buckshot, as well as bird, yes, it does. If you're asking which is best? You'll have to pattern your gun with your load, to find out for sure. If you're asking are there special chokes for buckshot? Probably so, but I never really looked into them. Modified/full was always good enough for me.

Generally speaking though, a tighter choke shoots better patterns. I've hunted deer using hounds, with shotguns and buckshot for years. I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the fellows I hunted with used either a full or a modified choke. They used for the most part No 1 buckshot, or 000. 00's were few and far between, and No 4's even fewer. I don't know of anybody who used an improved cylinder or cylinder choked gun, but there might have been one at some time.

Those open chokes might work well for home defense ranges, but when you want to reach out, you need some choke.

I'm down in Florida, lots of deer dogs here (I want to become one cause I like dogs) and most dog hunters use buckshot. I started out thinking the buckshot gave a wide spread so you couldn't miss and these guys said NO- you want the opposite, a tight pattern and take a neck shot- with multiple pellets you'll be pretty certain of spinal hits, etc and the deer will just drop- no tracking through the jungle. On the choke isse they were telling me that some barrels are back bored, etc and USUALLY full is best but you just never know for sure- you have to test a lot of loads, etc.
I also have a rifled slug barrel- totally different issue with slugs, you are turning a shotgun into a rifle. I use a scope and get 1 1/2" groups, most of the time, at 100 yards. The buckshot- that's for hunting on the ground at running deer with 25-40 yards shots.
I was surprised to read a rifled choke can often give as good accuracy as an entire rifled barrel.

Davem,

As I posted earlier, "Your pattern board is your friend". After a while, you are bound to find "The Load".:cool:

I too am surprized, to hear, that a screw-in rifle choke can be as good as a fully rifled barrel. Of course, I have only shot, may less than a half dozen slugs, ever.:rolleyes: I have heard, that there are two basic types of slugs, and the Gunmakers will sometime make barrels with difference twists.:confused:

What choke, exactly, is just used for buckshot? I am not aware of a choke that is designed or solely used for just buckshot. As mentioned, go to the pattern plate (I prefer a steel plate with grease as opposed to a board with paper), as every gun is different and add in changeable choke possibilities and it will make your head hurt trying to figure all of the possibilities

I did a lot of patterning last year with the new shotgun that I bought. I tried all three factory chokes, 2 custom made chokes from a local gunsmith, 2 TruLock chokes and 1 Buck-Kicker choke, with as much different 3" buckshot that I could find. The Buck-Kicker patterned the best, but the gun shot about 10" low, so I sold it. I didn't want to put any more money in it.

I will try it again this year if I can find a Winchester SX3 that I want. I will start with the factory chokes and then go to the Buck-Kicker if I don't get the results that I am looking for on the patterning board.

To save a little money buy the chokes from the factory. Kick's will exchange chokes, if you buy from them and TruLock will give you a full refund if you are not satisfied with their chokes. You can't beat that kind of customer service and I know because I returned two.

I did see a lot of Buck-Kicker chokes on the end of shotguns last year at my hunting club. Don't know if they patterned them though and you need to.

On the buckshot "choke'- see:
http://gameacc.net/buckshot-chokes/

I'm thinking it's just a full choke and they are marketing that way. I used to think the idea about buchshot was that the pellets spread apart so you were "guaranteed" to hit a deer even if your shot was off. The locals said NO. You want a pattern where -ideally- all the pellets are in about a 10" circle at say 30 yards or better. Put turkey sights on the rib and shoot the shotgun like a rifle. The idea is that in heavy cover only the head/neck might be visable so a load of buckshot in the neck becomes a killing shot. On the shotgun/choke deal- I'm sort of becoming aware that every shotgun is different and some just don't handle it well. I thought "bigger is better" 00 in a 3" magnum but I've been told to try 0 or 1 and see if it patterns better. The whole deal is a tight pattern. :cool:

Before I bought that choke I would check their return policy just in case you are not satisfied with it.

Trulock has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. The only thing that you will be out is shipping and time.

Kick's will exchange chokes if you are not satisfied with your choke, but you will still have to buy at least one, even if they never pattern tight enough for you. When it is all said and done you will be out 1 choke, shipping and time for each choke you try.

Back