brush to clean bore?

On my benchrest barrel 308 Cal. , Right after I'm finished shooting I use a brushless cleaner at the bench Wipe Out - Patch Out until the patch comes out clean but when I get home I run a wet patch with #9 Hoppe's bore solvent an the patch comes out brown . Carbon is still in the barrel. Wet with #9 again an tight dry patch does the trick. Barrel is squeaky clean . KG - 1 is also very good for carbon but still. not as good as the old faithful #9. I use #9 for my 22lr CZ 452 but finish with Ballistol . Works great for 22 but when used in my 308 an dry patch the barrel to remove any Ballistol it takes at least 4 foul shots , that stuff is so slick , I stopped using it in my 308 unless I flush it out with #9 . Great for 1911's though.

I forgot to mention the jag I use is a Parker Hale you wrap the patch around the jag , it will act like a mop. I don't use any other type and believe me I tried them all.

I just swab the barrel out with a wet patch of eezox, usually that does it, sometimes it rolls over to a 2nd patch, YMMV if you shoot a lot of lead, I generally don't so I don't have lead fouling to deal with.

I ignore copper streaks completely.

Unless the bore is dripping (usually not the case) I just leave it wet.

I don't really use a brush much anymore, but I don't clean my guns nearly as aggressively as I used to. I don't shoot cast bullets at all anymore. I have a couple of boxes of .357 with cast bullets, but I never seem to want to mess with them, I just shoot the jacketed ones. When I first started shooting, with revolvers, I was over the top and really cleaned them to the point I took them apart to do it. Now, unless I've been shooting a lot of dirty ammo through a gun, it just gets wiped off and a patch run through the bore with Break Free most of the time.

Back