Browning Lever action rifle

I have a .243 BLR circa 1971 made in Belgium with a steel receiver. It really isn't that light so I don't hunt with it but my daughter loves it. It is pretty accurate, but my and my son's Marlin 336s in 30-30 are more accurate at 100 yards.

With your dislike for short lever throws and triggers located inside trigger guards, you must not care for the Winchester Model 88 lever-action rifle either. But at least the fine Model 88 isn't as "fugly" looking as the BLR, I think you might agree.

Nope, I'd take the BLR over the 88 but I wouldn't waste money on either one.

I havde an early Japanese BLR and a Savage 99, both in .358 Win. Both quite accurate as well Thinking of thinning the herd big time in the not too distant future and they along with a couple of Ruger tang safety M77's, also .358s will go down the road. Once I got a .35 Whelen, the .358s because safe queens.
Paul B.

Quote:
With your dislike for short lever throws and triggers located inside trigger guards, you must not care for the Winchester Model 88 lever-action rifle either. But at least the fine Model 88 isn't as "fugly" looking as the BLR, I think you might agree.
Nope, I'd take the BLR over the 88 but I wouldn't waste money on either one.

This part of the discussion concerns looks. So you really think the Model 88 looks more "fugly" (your word) than the BLR? I guess fugly is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Here are my two modern lever actions. I got my 30-06 BLR for being a leveraction and for being able to be used for about anything. Not my favorite, but it does shoot very well. The other gun is the new Henry in 308. It's very accurate and has a much better trigger. There isn't much a regular sporter bolt action can do that these can't. Henry can't seem to keep up with the demand so far.

I agree with dgludwig, the bottom one is ugly. Look at some new ones. They look like some of the flashy stuff Weatherby used to put out.

I wouldn't trade a BLR for three Henry's.

I friend owns a Henry in 45LC... He has had the pot-metal cartridge carrier replaced twice. The cheap metal makes for a slick action - on the cheap - that wears out with extensive use.

The BLR is a quality weapon, inside and out. The Henry.... Not so much.

If you want something worth passing down to the kids, invest in a Browning.

How anyone can criticize the looks of a good BLR next to the Hasbro-looking Henry with its cheapo bead-blasted finish is beyond me.

Note that Hasbro corporation made goofy-looking toy guns in the 60's and 70's. They had a look about them that Henry has almost perfectly reproduced.

It would be interesting to ask a Henry designer if they ever owned a Hasbro as they were growing up.

Last edited:
The bottom one is fugly, Hawg, in case you don't know what the word means

Yeah, it is and I do know what fugly means but if I proved it I'd get thrown out of here. :D BLR lovers would probably like to see that. :D

How anyone can criticize the looks of a good BLR next to the Hasbro-looking Henry with its cheapo bead-blasted finish is beyond me.

For some of us, it's not the Browning's impeccable finish, it's the fugly lines and goofy looking (non-traditional) configuration of the action and the way it's teamed with the stock.

The Henry .22 was basically designed from the Erma as was the Ithaca. The Henry centerfires are scaled up versions of the same gun. I'm not real fond of the high comb on the Henry but it has the Browning beat by a country mile.

For some of us, it's not the Browning's impeccable finish, it's the fugly lines and goofy looking (non-traditional) configuration of the action and the way it's teamed with the stock.

There's a certain amount of comedic value in this comment, the Henry "Long Ranger" being an obvious knock-off of the venerable Browning design.

- Except for internally of course, where softer metals give it a "silky-smooth" action without any need for breaking in - while it lasts. :p

"It's realy great here in basic training, Maw... The drill instructor is my BEST FRIEND!"

Last edited:
I really doubt the internals are any softer than anybody else's. I don't have a Henry centerfire but my Golden Boy has gone through thousands of rounds.

Back