Browning Hi Pwr

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigG: In Miami FBI-shootout the problem was penetration. There wasnt enough of that. 9mm Silvertip stopped BEFORE heart of the bad guy. So if IF the argument is Miami case then you must believe that 9mm FMJ is better than any .45 ;-)

Why FBI missed to use their MP5:s? And almost all shotguns? Bad tactics? Never in case of FBI! Problems must be the caliber never the agent......

In practice in normal SD-situation .45 JHP is not much better than 9mm JHP but in case of FMJ .45 is better.

I have few 1911s and FN HP:s so I can tel some tecnical details.

1911 was J M Browning design FN HP wasnt. It was designed by Diononne Saive who designed also FN FAL auto rifle.

1911 is superior to HP by its safety. It is about safe to carry 1911 "cocked and locked" by some one who knows what he/she is carrying.

FN HP IS NOT so safe to carry "cocked and locked" because its safety must have very accurate fitted. If it is not (like in many cases in used guns) then it is possible to drop hammer even if the safety is on.

Check that always by unloaded gun by pulling triggerr heavily and safety on..

I think that it was designed to carry chamber empty like almost all military pistols on that time.

So if you want to carry HP in cocked and locked then buy holster with safety strap between slide and hammer.

OTOH FN HP is much simpler and more trusty in military use than 1911.

I KNEW when beginning to read this thread that it would end up in a 9mm vs .45 shootout! When will it end? AGHHHHHHHHH! Just shoot .40, and be done with it! (kidding)

I love the feel of the HiPower, and own two. Used to shoot them all the time, until I started shooting my Glocks as primary guns (i hear some of you groan). Love cocked and locked, but its unfortunate that the HP trigger will never equal a good 1911 trigger.

I had a small revelation when shooting my 9mm HP the other day, after a year's layoff. The felt recoil seemed to be as great as that of my .40 Glock, and the muzzle flip seemed to be more pronounced. I was shocked by this comparison, especially since the HP is heavier. I was sure the HP would seem mild by comparison, due to smaller caliber and extra weight of the gun. The very low bore axis of the Glock may be a reason... the recoil seems to move more straight back to the rear, on the bore axis. The HP recoiled with more muzzle flip.

Anyone had a similar experience?

PS: Cylinder and Slide has nearly patented a revolutionary trigger mod for the HP, which would render it very safe even loaded. Might be on their website. fyi

BY all means check the pistol out. If it is solid or salvageble. I can reccommend a High power highly. It and the CZ-75 are the most comfortable auto pistols I carry. I have both a belgian and an inglis. They have both been function fitted by Cylinder & Slide. These are the only two guns I have a double shoulder holster for. I feel well outfitted with them. I will not go into the .45/9mm/.40 controversy. It has been over written since I read my first gun magazine in 1958. A good gun with good ammo and plenty of practice is all one needs to hit the target and do what needs to be done.

Cheers,

ts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back