Browning Citori xs skeet

Congratulations on your Browning XS skeet. I have this exact combination and have also owed Beretta 682 for skeet. The two have slightly different stock configurations. The Browning fit me right out of the box with no problem. Typically they come with 13 3/8 LOP which can be adjusted with moving the trigger and 1 3/4 drop at the comb if not adjusted with the same configuration at the heel. The Beretta has a little more drop at the comb and my site plane was low requiring placing a 1/8 inch pad on the stock. The Beretta sits lower than the Browning. Matter fact the Browning 725 is in my opinion is their equivalent to Beretta. The Beretta I thought had less kick. It seemed to push back rather than upward. My Browning has a raised ventilated rib which I really like. The Beretta is more flat and wider.

I use the 20 gauge because my skeet scores do not differ between 12/20 and being lighter fatigue does not set in as quickly. In a 100 degree day shooting all four gauges can take its toll. That also means less reloading equipment and supplies and shot and powder last longer. In factory ammunition you can find better deals with the 12. Some guys I know reload the 12 with 7/8 oz load but never could understand that because it cannot be used in the 20 gauge event, however, the 20 can be used in the 12 gauge event.

The only advantage I can see with the 12 is that Briley offers companion tubes which can be purchased without fitting and you can order the 20, 28 and 410 at your leisure to keep costs down. The 20 gauge is only offered for the 410 because the tubes are really thin from 20 to 28 and have to be custom fit. Having the tubes with your shotgun is a great plus. Barrel length is personal preference. I use 28 inch and I know top shooters like Todd Bender use 32 inch but that guy is big and strong. The trigger on the Browning was to me a little heavier than the Beretta but both are reliable and durable.

And if you trade both have good resale value.

Back