Browning BAR's

...after having open heart surgery this summer :eek: , I may test my Remington 700 / .375 ULTRA a few times and sell it for this Browning BAR MkII Lightweight Stalker in .338 Win.Mag.
031008m.jpg

I have a MkII Safari w/BOSS in 7mm Rem.Mag. and will put the nice wood back on it so it'll look right.
But, for a Big Game hunting rifle, the BAR Lightweight Stalker in .338 Win.Mag. looks pretty good ( I have a Bell & Carlson stockset for it already ).

I've pretty much given up the idea I'll ever hunt Alaska or Africa with a .458 LOTT...;)
Ditto for shooting 3 1/2" SuperMag shells in my 870...

Well, you've got to draw a distinction between sporting semi-autos:

742/7400
BAR
Win superX
Benelli R1

etc.

with semis based on .mil designs - AR, AK, FAL, M-14 type, G3 type, etc.

Reason the latter get more attention by a lot of knowledgeable shooters is that they are tried and true DURABLE military designs, which have a history of being able to shoot tens of thousands of rounds without major malfunctions (assuming proper maintenance), and be able to function in extreme environments of temperature, humidity, sand/dust, etc., and after they (and their mags) have been dropped & thrown around as they would in a .mil environment. Unlike the sporter rifles which may or may not stand up to rigorous hard use such as that.

I would love to have a BAR, and would get one if they made one in .35 whelen in a heartbeat since I like that round as the next addition to my caliber family. As it stands, I will be getting another good and nice-looking rifle chambered in it for less money, the new Rem 750 woodsmaster.

Busgunner, I don't blame ya, and heal up soon, brotha. I love it - only a true gun nut would 'downsize' to a .338 magnum!

I will have to second the nomination of the *original* BAR being a great bear defense gun! :) :eek:

Then there's this BAR --- !

B.O.S.S. plus open sights! :eek: :D
So, that means one could have the factory style ( Williams, I think... ) sights added to a BOSS BAR.
The 'no-holes' BOSS is much quieter, too.

Hmmmmmmm...
http://www.browningint.com/products...ifles&classe=bar&famille=BAR+ACIER+AFFUT+BOSS
baracieraffutboss.jpg

There's even a Browning Optics site to pick from...
http://www.browningsportsoptics.com/rifle/index.html#
I'd choose the little European version, I think...

Thanks for the well wishes, too. Once I get a decent night's sleep more than once in a row, my energy level will kick it up a step.

I had a BAR Safari 7mag and it was a great shooter, especially with the Federal Premiums. It filled my freezer with elk a few times. Had a Burris 6x on it. The main reasons I sold it was the weight, and I was moving and wanted money for furniture.; it was cumbersome to lug it in the mountains. But it ran flawless and accurate. I've had some interest in the new Remington 750, seems more streamlined and lighter. But haven't heard any reports on it yet.

Naw, if I could get a European BAR it would be a 9.3x62mm. http://www.browningint.com/intro.html That oughta thump em.

Other than a fast second shot in case of a deflected bullet BusGunner007 touched on one of the best features of a semi. The recoil reduction is probably about 20%, and that's without the BOSS brake. My aluminum reciever Stalker in 30-06 kicks less than my ex-wife did. And she had Karate class experience. She couldnt aim worth a damn though, thank god, cause you know just what she was trying to hit huh. :o

how come the euro 338 is only 2 + 1 i thought that they quit making my browning gold. looks like its the euro model now. but i guess it doesn't matter because i have to buy the phoenix:D i didnt know that browning made a pump rifle. great link!!!!

Attachments

• big-PhoenixTopcote.jpg
    big-PhoenixTopcote.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 38
Every BAR sporting rifle I've ever worked with has been silky-smooth.

And a real pussycat in recoil compared to a boltgun in the same chambering. I wish I could say that for the Remington 742/7400 autoloaders that I owned for short periods of time.

Regardless, the Browning BAR sporting rifle oozes class. I fought my ex-wife and her lawyer to keep this 1969 .30-06 Belgian BAR from going her way in the divorce. I consider it money well-spent.

barbenchweaverright2.jpg

finally took some pics of my BAR and gold enjoy. before you comment the bi pod if for the pictures only.

Attachments

• DSC00574.JPG
    DSC00574.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00566.JPG
    DSC00566.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00576.JPG
    DSC00576.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 78
Old pix of my BAR

417796.jpg

7mm Rem.Mag. w/BOSS-CR.
Bell & Carlson stockset.
Leupold 4.5-14x40/ 6" sunshade/ StoneyPoint target turrets.
Millet Angle-Loc base/'engraved' rings.
B-SQUARE Roto-Tilt Match bipod.
Browning X-cellerator sling.
Browning hearing protection.
:D

I'm planning on putting the factory wood back on it.
If I get the .338 Stalker w/sights, I'd be real happy!

just got back from shooting mine. free hand at 150 yards 3 out of 4 were in the orange the 4 was a little out side (my error)

I am considering selling/trading my bar mark 2,belgium made for something a bit more accurate and a little bigger.
I'm thinking about the remington 700 in .300 or the ruger M-77 mark 2 in .300( and I'm a lefty) but after reading this thread , I may just practice a bit more. Leaving for Col. in 6 weeks for ELK...hmmmmm

Back