Browning 375 H&H vs. Ruger 375 H&H

Hueco

What are the performance differences between the Browning Medallion in 375 H&H and the Ruger No. 1H Tropical in 375 H&H? Obviously the Browning has the advantage of follow up shots, but what are the other advantages/disadvantages? Which is generally more accurate? And what is the function of the extension off of the trigger guard on the Ruger? If it does not serve any specific purpose -- can it be removed easily? Price seems to be very similar if you compare the Ruger to the open-sight equipped Browning. Let me know! Thanks.

Hueco

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited February 17, 2000).]

Hueco,

Although I am not very familiar with the Browning, let me give you a few pointers about the Ruger.

1) About the "extension" off the trigger guard, I think you are referring to the underlever that opens the action. It is to the Ruger #1 action what the familiar "hoop" is to the Winchester 94. It is pushed downward to lower the massive block, thus opening the chamber. One inserts the cartridge and then pull it back up to seal the breech. And (naturally) no, it can't be removed unless you plan to hang the rifle on the wall and never use it! ;)

2) As a bolt-action rifle, you can do better than the Browning, in my opinion. The 375, needless to say, is a hefty cartridge which requires that nothing is spared when making a rifle. A better choice for a 375 bolt would be the Winchester Super Express (+~- $800) the Withworth Express ($800) or, better yet, the Ruger M77 Expreess, a bit steeper in price but furnished with awesome express sights and strong scope rings.

3) The Ruger #1, to my mind, is a better choice than the Browning in that caliber. It is extremely accurate (I own it), its trigger is nice out of the box, and with a little practice you can summon up enough speed to have a quick-ish follow-up shot. BTW, it also comes with open sights as well as scope rings.

4) The single-shot concept is very attractive, especially in a large African-cartridge configuration. And the Ruger #1 action is nothing but a modified Farquahrson action, the legendary single-shot action that followed the great African hunters such as F. C. Selous then and C. Boddington now.

Needless to say, I favor the Ruger over the Browning.

Well from the report that you gave I can see why do you indeed favor the Ruger. As I have read many of your other posts, I am aware that you are extremely familiar with the big/dangerous game cartridges. I appreciate your help -- thanks for it! Have a good one!

Hueco

The concussion that reflects off the breechface of a #1 is pretty hefty. I'm by no means recoil shy, but firing 6 rounds of 300 winchester out of a ruger #1 cleared my sinuses. The same round fired from a bolt rifle didn't seem to kick much harder than a 30-06.

The winchester is a really well made rifle, get yourself a copy of GUN LIST and you'll find it available for less than $800.
Another good option is the CZ550 Magnum rifle, it retails here in colorado for $570 or so. The "whitworth" rifle is a british barrel on a CZ mauser action.

The nice thing about the ruger #1 is you can get into some serious calibers for a reasonable price. But remember DANGEROUS game means you SHOULD shoot it twice, some safari outfitters will not allow single shots for dangerous game.

hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

Dr. Rob. Is that why my Ruger #1s belt me so hard? ;) I haven't had too uch of a problem with the .300 Mag, but the .375 will do me in in about a half a box, unless I use my cheater bag. :)
When I compared my #1 in .300 mag. to a Winchester with syntetic stock in the same caliber, the Winchester did seem to recoil less, and it weighs about one and a half pounds less than the Ruger.
Still and all, I love my #1s.
Paul B.

Hello, Hueco! As Dr. Rob mentioned, unless you are dead set on one of the two rifles you mention, I'd give a serious look at the CZ/BRNO line of rifles. I personally prefer the controlled round feed of the Mauser action and have found this line of rifle to be very dependable and accurate. My .375H&H is a BRNO ZKK. I had it bedded and a recoil reducer put in the stock as well as a decelerator pad as I shoot my rifles more than a few shots when we go to the range. If you opt not to go with this rifle, the Winchester M70 ("classic") also offers controlled round feeding. In any event and whatever your choice, good luck and good hunting. Best.

I am new here but have a good deal of experience with the Ruger and moderate with the bolts.

First...Recoil, whichever gun. I close personal friend that spent years as a pro hunter in Africa taught me and my wife to shoot heavy rifles. His comment was that most Americans did knot know how to use them...Here it is and it is simple. Use your right hand (if you are right handed, opp if otherwise) and grab the gun tight. Place the gun o your shoulder with good contact. DON"T burry it into your shoulder. Allw the forearm to "lay" in your front hand with fingers closed but relaxed. Aim, squeexe trigger and allow rifle to go up with recoil. If its a bolt gun work the bolt as you are on the down move from recoil.

In shotgunshooting we call this economy of movement.

As for the guns...I love #1's. They work. I had an under lever shortened on one of mine....kinda like the Dakota 10. It is nice for a gun for deer etc. A bit of weight reduction...but not something I would want to use on a dangerous game gun.

My 375 performes quite well. It out shots my ruger 77 for group. (I sold the 77)

I am bias to #1's. The single shot "thing" is infectious once you get there.

Huntschool

Hueco,

Another fine big-bore bolt gun, you may want to consider, is the Remington model 700 BDL Custom Safari Deluxe. I have been shooting one since the early 70’s and it has never given me a bit of trouble.

I procured it from an individual that had bought it to go after a “bigfoot” and then had second thoughts about the severe recoil after he had fired it a couple of times. Hehe

At the time, I had a standing bet with my shooting buddies for $200 that they could not fire a box of factory 270g rounds from a bench. Hell, I didn’t even want to do it!

Skyhawk

Well, thank you everyone for the wealth of info! I am not aiming (sheesh, I must be the all-time king of bad-puns on this BBS!!) for hunting really. I just want a big-bore to shoot a bit with on the range. So from what ya'll have said -- looks like my best option would be that Ruger. It is quickly growing on me. And the single shot "feature" of it IMO is nice. I am very accustomed to single shot .22's -- so I can reload very quickly with a bit of practice. And yes, the only rifle I have ever fired are .22 (one is a magnum though :)). But I am not worried at all about the recoil, I believe I can handle it as I have shot a great deal of very heavy shotgun loads. :) Besides, I like to know when the gun "goes-off!" Thanks again guys!

Hueco

Good thinking, Hueco..... You will enjoy it immensely!

If you want to learn to absorb the recoil of this legendary cartridge, please bear these pointers in mind:

1) The .375 H&H (with full-house 300gr loads) kicks no more than a magnum 12-gauge, as you have pointed out. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

2) Maybe start at 30 yards (without a scope) in the STANDING position. When the rifle goes off, don't lean into the recoil, just let your WHOLE body be "pushed and tilted back" with the recoiling rifle. Once the "myth" of this cartridge's punishment is dispelled, stick a scope on it if you want (with the proper eye-relief) and shoot it from the bench - I do it all the time and my shoulder only starts to get tender after 20-30 shots. (And I am no big guy by any means)

3) You will agree that its recoil is less of the "vicious jab" of, say, a .300Mag and more of a slow, healthy shove.

Enjoy it and welcome to the African Big Fella Club!!!!!!

Well...thank you very much for those pointers! I can always use them! I only weigh 125 (on a heavy day), but I think that is an advantage. When the recoil starts, I am so light that I just get whammed back -- my body doesn't pose any resistance so I don't feel much at all -- I move back too much to feel it! I shot about 50 very magnum 12 ga. loads before I felt anything. I think the entire 375 experience will be a blast. And if so -- I will move up to the bigger ones. :) Thanks again!

Hueco

I've really enjoyed following this thread--I don't have a .375 H&H, but I've always wanted one. Your theory about the effect of recoil on "lighter" individuals is right on target (O.K. I can keep up in the bad pun dept.)

You've probably had all the suggestions you can stand, but hey, how about just one more: a Winchester Model 70 Classic STAINLESS...even if you're mostly gonna shoot off the bench, it's still 'lower maintenance' (and the trigger is FULLY adjustable).

Just a thought...from one who envies you for getting a 375 before I do...

Hueco:

I appologize for the rather poor keyboarding on my previous note. WEBTV keyboard and it has a penchant for not putting up a letter.

Recoil is an important factor when looking at a firearm. I was quite serious in the method for firing heavy rifles. Another commentor was correct in saying 12 ga mag.

Gun fit can be critical here. As is a good recoil pad.

Lots of luck. If I can be of any further help please feel free to drop me an email.

"Single shots shoot right the first time".

Huntschool

Weegee, you may indeed get that 375 before me -- it will be at least a month before I get the appropriate fundage together. :) Do I hear....RACE?

Huntschool, Good advice for the proper mounting of the rifle to handle recoil properly. Luckily, my shotgunning experience will come in handy here. The way you described mounting the rifle is how I mount the shotgun. Thanks for all your help in this thread!!

With the level of enthusiasm for big-bore shooting, could I suggest a special forum be created just for it? Maybe even have a dichotomy going and set it up to be .22's and big-bores. Eh, just a thought.

Thank you all for your help. One mor equestion that I have is on sound levels. To the average person, how much louder is the 375 H&H than say the .223 out of a mini-14? While it would be kind of fun to go to the range and scare the pants off the fella on the other end of the range every time I fired...I don't know how everyone would appreciate it, if ya know what I mean. i believe the biggest I have ever heard there was a 45-70. There might have been a 300 win mag one day too. Most of the guys are shooting 30'06, .22, or 9mm. I want to have fun, but at the same time I do not want to be an annoyance with such I high level of sound.

Hueco

Hueco;

O.K., the Race is on (I'm 'playing the race card on ya!)

Forgot to mention, if you get the Model 70 Stainless, it'll kick the crap out of you cause it only weighs 7.5 lbs!!! (I'd replace the stock with a "Richard's Microfit" laminate, and add some lead under the "Decelerator" pad I'd install.

If you want to scare the pants off the folks at the range, you'll only need a 30-06--just put a muzzle brake on it.

Whe they make me king, I'm going to ban those dam things...

No worries...I wouldn't use a muzzle break if I had too. IMO, I would much rather have recoil than noise. Ears do not heal like shoulders. Noise is an annoyance to everyone -- recoil only to one. The last thing I want is to be a nuisance to others at the range.

Hueco

Hueco, you are great! Wish everyone at my range had the same attitude.

Occasionally I do get a bit of revenge when I'm "forced" to take a spot to the left of a muzzle-braked magnumoid. My Ruger 10/22 brass tinks 'em in the head.

I just had to come clean about this, I've been up nights feelin' guilty...NOT.

Where I shoot there are individual booths. Each has a wall on either side. One day, I was leaned up against one of the walls using some binoculars and some guy let off with somethign huge. Well...I couldl feel the wall push out into our booth! I mean, there was so much sound in his booth it stretched the walls!! I think a 375 would be loads(there I go again....) of fun, but I truly think it might just be too great a distraction for the other shooters. :( Perhaps it is back to the ballistic charts for me.

Hueco

Well if you would like a very flexible (mild to wild) Ruger, get one in .45-70. If you reload, you can go with either cast bullets at slow speeds or you can tread closely on a .458 Win Mag's heels with a 500 grain bullet at 1700 (+) FPS.

Giz

Hi, just got to chime in with my $0.02.

I have had two Mod 70 Winchesters in 375 H&H Magnum, used them for benchresting. Also one Model 70 in 458 Win Mag, also for benchresting. The recoil is manageable and your fellow shooters, who feel the 30'06 is a big 'un will hold you in awe. The WW Silvertip 300 grainers were my favorite, although I shot whatever I could get sometimes. They don't stock all that much variety of 375 H&H out in white tail country!
I preferred iron sights, and the Winchester Model 70s came with good ones. One bit of advice to handle the kick: Learn to keep your neck rigid and keep your head in the same relation to your shoulder when the beast recoils. That way you won't get a scope in the eyebrow should you choose to mount one. That's good advice for any hard kicking rifle. I made the mistake of crawling a 300 Weatherby Magnum's stock once... :eek: The 300 Weatherby probably doesn't kick as much as the big bores, but it kicks about Twice As Fast. HTH

------------------
o I raised my hand to eye level, like pointing a finger, and fired. Wild Bill Hickok
o If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts... Wild Bill Hickok
o 45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!
BigG
o It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error. Justice Robert H. Jackson
o It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself. Tom Jefferson
o When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up. BigG

Back