Browning 1911 - 22 . . . talk to me . . .

Prof Young

Pictured below is a Browning 1911 - 22 Medallion Black Label that is at the LGS. Handsome gun. I'll be doing the usual research, but am wondering if anyone here has experience with one.

Talk to me.

Life is good

Prof Young

Attachments

• Browning1.jpg
    Browning1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 105
  • browning 2.jpg
    browning 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 103
They're nice pistols. Mrs. Schlitz bought her one a few years ago. Came with nice fiber optic sights that are perfect for daytime range use & don't know if her model is different that the one your looking at but it's much lighter that I ever would have expected-makes a great camp gun. Being 85% 1911 makes it the perfect 22 size pistol.
DQrUzPpl.jpg

I own the standard model (all alloy) in .22 LR and the Black Label in .380 ACP. They are both very well built, easy to shoot, and mine have been 100% reliable out of the box. I have to say, though, in spite of the fact that I bought them I think they are greatly over-priced for what you get.

Keep in mind that these things are scaled down to 80% or 85% of the size of a standard 1911. That makes them great for children and shooters with small hands, but for men with catchers' mitt size hands they are almost impossible to shoot. My hands are not large for a man (I can't palm a basketball), and I sometimes find that my fingers bump into each other when shooting.

The scaled down aspect means that NO standard 1911 parts will fit -- and Browning has refused to sell me parts (I wanted to convert the .380 to a single-side thumb safety) even though I am a certified 1911 armorer.

Browning is also extremely proud of their magazines.

I concur with Aguila's assessment. I have the standard model. Not sure if all Black Labels have fiber optic sites or not. But mine are very basic and difficult to pick up. It's a lot of fun to shoot, never had any malfunctions due to the gun/magazine, and is well built. I have medium sized hands. If it were any smaller or have any bigger hands, I think it would be compromising to handle/shoot.

Although well built, I believe it is more expensive than it should be sold for. It's one of those things where I found a member here selling his for a fair price. In the end, I love mine and plan on keeping it for years to come.

I have one. Great little gun, has been reliable and ate everything I fed it reliably. I have the standard model without the beaver tail. I hammer bite. I ordered the bobbed hammer and beaver tail. Beaver tail is still on back order about a year later. Only comes with 1 mag, they are expensive.

That's the one I wish I had bought. I would buy it without hesitation.

A few years ago a local shooting range had an 'introductory range day' type of deal where they put out 6 or 8 of their rental guns on the range and you got to move from lane to lane firing each one. It was fun and very much to my surprise I shot the little .22 1911 best. But this is just ONE occurrence.

I did look into buying one after my experience but I kind of agree with everyone else that they are a tad overpriced. Still, you only live once and you can't take it with you so...

Good luck.

I have the standard one in .22. In retrospect, not one of my better handgun purchases. Mine is ammo picky. With ergonomics for an 85% human hand. I've been much happier with my Kel Tec P17, even at slightly above msrp.

I've got one in .22 and one in .380, both Commanders.
The .22 is a great little shooter. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the .380.
Grips are perfectly sized for me.

I’ve got the Commander in .22lr. Been around about 8 years, one of my favorite pistols to shoot. Mine is not picky on ammo, feeds and shoots anything I stuff into it. Everybody that sees it, teases me about getting it, but they all want to shoot it, and all but my uncle (very large hands) want to shoot it whenever I take it out.

Only thing I would change is the G.I. style sights, but they do well enough for soda cans at 10 yards.

My brother just made me a holster for it.

Attachments

• 8444FB90-D00C-478C-A8E8-C10BA9D4ABB4.jpeg
    8444FB90-D00C-478C-A8E8-C10BA9D4ABB4.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 34
Mine is the all metal standard model. It's not the most accurate .22 I own but it certainly is one of the most fun.

fuWRDosl.jpg

Mine was the standard GI style.
Reliability was amazing, never a bobble even with target velocity ammo.
Accuracy was mediocre at best. Didn’t care for the soft plastic sights.

Not there anymore . . .

Well, after reading about it alot, I went back to the LGS with it in mind that I might pick it up . . . but someone else had already bought it. Fine. One of the general consensus on it was that it was a bit pricey for what you got.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Well I had one in 22 and found it to be the best of the scaled down 1911 type 22s. It functioned well, which is more than can be said for most. It is a fun plinker not a target pistol.

Drm50 said:
Well I had one in 22 and found it to be the best of the scaled down 1911 type 22s.
Isn't the Browning the ONLY scaled-down 1911? All the other .22 rimfire 1911s I've seen and shot have been full-size.

Back