Browing BAR alternatives

I'm planning an elk hunt later this year on one of the outlying islands here...

I have retired my BAR MkII Safari in 30/06 as I have recently acquired a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Wby Mag... The BAR holds great sentimental value to me and it's it pristine condition, only a few minor scratches on the stock... I took it apart last week and gave it a very thorough cleaning and oiling... It's home is now in the gun cabinet until it's time to pass it on to my children... Pains me to put it away, but I don't want to subject it to any more of the harsh weather and terrain up here...

Don't forget about the BAR in 270Wby Mag. I have seen a couple of them out there and actually shot one, but I am sure the used price on it is really high as it was a rare one when they were making it.

So...I guess I'm thinking of a different BAR then, right. I'm thinking of the WW1 and WW 2 Browning Automatic Rifle. What are you guys talking about?

here is what we are talking about
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=008
not as different as you might think, semi auto version of course, little bit different design, If i recall correctly (and I may not) they were released after the war in this configuration and called the BAR SLR (self loading Rifle)
I am sure there is probably a browning guy here that can set me straight as my memory on this is fuzzy at best.

Go with the BAR. It will last. It will give you no problems. It will be far more accurate than you. My Safari 2 in .300 w/m with my hand loads will easily do under an inch at 100 yds benched. It has the BOSS muzzle brake/tuner which I would recomend. It cuts recoil by 30% , but its freakin LOUD. Wear your muffs.

love_my_nagant... here is a pic of what i am talking about...

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hope the image came up...but this is what I want. Number 2 on my dream list of guns....

Attachments

• Browning_Automatic_Rifle_Cropped.jpg
    Browning_Automatic_Rifle_Cropped.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 25
I have the BAR lightweight stalker in 300WSM with the BOSS and the same gun in .308 without. The 300WSM has significantly less felt recoil, but is loud. The BOSS is more accurate, but LOUD.

I didn't hesitate to get the alloy receiver. I expect to put 50-100 rounds a year through each gun working on loads and fiddling around. I have other guns for volume shooting. Heavier barrels and lighter calibers for the most part.

PICT2083.jpg

Don't forget about the BAR in 270Wby Mag. I have seen a couple of them out there and actually shot one, but I am sure the used price on it is really high as it was a rare one when they were making it.

These must be really rare indeed... I've never seen one and cannot find any info on the web for one... Maybe a product of someone's custom work??? If I wanted a .270 with more zing than a standard win, I'd probably go with the WSM as ammo is cheaper and ballistics are similar...

How many rounds do the box magazines hold?

Anywhere from 4 to 2 rounds, depending on caliber... The 30/06 and below hold 4, the standard magnums hold 3, the WSM's hold 2.

Guess no one ever heard of a M1

Last time I checked, you couldn't get an M1 in .243 Win, or .270 Win, or 25/06, or .300 Win Mag, or .338 Win Mag, or any of the WSM versions of the above...

The M1 is a great .308 (30/06 if you can find an original) but the caliber choices are somewhat limited...

It's hard to beat a Belgium Browning... The BAR isn't a lightweight, but doesn't an M1 weigh somewhere around 10lbs bone stock??? That's a lot of weight to lug around in the field... Not to mention that BAR's are more friendly to optics mounting...

Wow! $800 for a BAR :eek: You'd be hard pressed to find one in that condition for less than $1k around here...

That's pretty neat about the factory rechambering... I didn't know Browning offered that... I wonder if a .300 Wby Mag would work??? :):cool:

Learn something new every day... Thanks for the info...

Back