Browing BAR alternatives

Housezealot

I have been looking at Browing BAR's and would like one... but, I have already spent WAY too much on new toy's this year, Is there any good more affordable, alternatives, I might just break down and buy a remington 700 but being a lefty I dont really want a bolt action and don't like the idea of buying lefty guns (resale, parts availabilty etc.) any advice?

As a fellow lefty, I will recommend that you buy a BAR MkII Safari in whatever caliber suits your fancy. You will not find a more reliable or accurate semi-auto hunting rifle. I've had mine for a long time and it's my favorite rifle... Very handy and easy to shoot from either shoulder. Save up a couple of more months, you won't regret it...

I don't recommend a Remington 700 lefty to anyone based solely on the price tag... For less money you can get an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker lefty and it will shoot just as well or better than a 700 lefty...

I've been down this road before, pick the BAR...

Do you like Lever actions? The Browning BLR is a very common rifle up here, and wouldn't be a problem for a lefty. I own one and love it!

Do you like Lever actions? The Browning BLR is a very common rifle up here, and wouldn't be a problem for a lefty. I own one and love it!

The BLR is good, only thing I'd worry about is that alloy receiver... I'm not sure it would hold up to a lifetime of use if it's a magnum caliber... Maybe it will, maybe it won't... Only time will tell... For the money, I'd go with a BAR MkII... Steel receiver = a lot tougher than alloy... If a lever is desired, go with a Marlin IMO...

I think I am going to end up with the BAR, I am going to layaway it with one other gun, and then I swear no more toys untill january 1st of next year
(did you guys belive it? my wife won't;))
thanks for the input everyone

Last edited:
I agree, great decision to stick with the BAR. It's a very fine rifle and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Congrats.

By the way, what caliber?

How about a Benelli

benelli_r1_apg_1024x768.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't browning switch to an alloy receiver for the BAR also?

Not the "real" BAR's (MkII Safari) they're steel... The Winchester clones known as the ShortTrac and LongTrac are both alloy...

I wouldn't mind having a ShortTrac in 7mm-08, but I would not entertain the thought of having a magnum in one... Most of the guns I buy, I buy for life... I don't think alloy would hold up to constant use over the years in a magnum caliber... I would not hesitate to buy a MkII Safari (if I could find one) in 7mm Rem Mag though... It's on my wish list...

As far as the Benelli R1 goes; it's way too new and I've heard tell of many glitches yet to be worked out...

Benelli makes a great shotgun, but for one of my rifles that will see hard use all across this country... I'll take a proven rifle by a tried and true manufacturer...

Browning BAR or A-Bolt
Any Weatherby
Marlin Levers
etc...

Being a lefty, I got two BAR's when they first came out, a .308 and a 7mmRM. Then, I started reloading. I replaced them with a 7mm Weatherby and haven't looked back. If you're going to get an auto, the short actions are lighter.

The BAR Safari, as already mentioned, has a steel receiver. The action is built for L/A calibers and there is not a S/A specific to S/A calibers. The BAR "Lightweight Stalker" has an aluminum alloy reciver, to save weight. I have owned several BARs, Both Beligian and Japanese, including a Lightweight model. All have been great guns. I'm personally not a fan of either the LongTrac or ShortTrac models. They both have aluminum receivers.

STAY THE H**L AWAY FROM THE REMINGTON 750. I got rid of mine after 2 months. It was basically a single shot. Even Remington couldn't get it fixed. I bought a BAR. Sweetest rifle I own, and I own a couple. It will eat anything I feed it.

The R1 is sweet, but no less expensive than the BAR.

purchased a bar mark II safari in the 25-06 and put a 90 dollar alpen kodiak scope on it... its a heavier rifle, and has virtually no recoil... the stock/receiver is mid to high grade pretty... the trigger is what i consider to be perfect...i would bet on a 400-500 yard kill up to mid size game....

i have no other rifle that i can pull up and target that fast with, it is just plain sweet! ...it pains me to take it out in the woods, but i have to remember it is a hunting rifle after all...

shoot one before you buy if you can....

cheers

jammin

My father has a BAR MkII Safari in 25/06 with a VXII 3x9x40 and has taken it to Colorado on two of his five elk trips over the years...

He took a cow at about 350yds and a 6x6 bull at about 275. Neither ran more than 50 yards...

Back