Brother Passed - Approach to dispose of small collection??

Just wanted to thank everyone for the insight last year.
I sold all the guns last weekend in less than 3 hours at a gun show. We weren't trying to bleed every last dollar of out of each gun so this was by far the best way to sell the guns - and it was fun!

Last Friday morning I heard a radio ad for "Crossroads of the West Gunshow at the....". I've heard these ads for years, but this show started at 9AM the next morning. I called the company expecting to attend their September show. However, they had a couple tables available for tomorrow's event so I rented one ($120). They could not have been more helpful and provided great insight, like running a security cable through all the gun triggers and holsters (cable - Home Depot $6). I spent the rest of the day and night making signs, price sheets, and polishing all the guns again (it's been 10+ months).

The next morning at the coliseum my table was in a poor location, as expected with last minute booking. The staff let me inspect the only other 2 open tables they had, and allowed me to move to a better location. I was set up by 8AM (see above pic), show opened at 9AM, so I got a chance to mingle and meet some people. I had one buyer (vendor) before the show started, but passed. It didn't make sense to discount a gun before the show even started. The show doors opened at 9AM, I was packing up to head home at 11:40AM, when the last gun was sold.

PRICING:
The price sheets I created and put next to each gun were very helpful to people. They included as much details as possible. About half of the people were unaware there was a "Blue Book" for guns prices. Most didn't know what the percentages were about, which opened up conversations. The book pricing gave them a benchmark if a gun was a good value.

This is what each gun sold for:

($395) Ruger - .357 Magnum Security Six (People said I priced this to low for condition)
($220) Ruger - .22 Mark Standard
($825) Colt- .45 ACP Combat Commander
($430) Smith & Wesson - .38 Special (Model 15-2)
($1,000) Smith & Wesson - .44 Magnum, Model 29-2
($445) Ruger - .270 M77R Mark II Rifle (intense discussion on .270 round, thank you Google on cell phone)
($115) IMC - .22LR M69 Romanian Training Rifle (Packaged with Colt Commander, this rifle had zero interest all morning)
($20) Shanghai Pellet Gun

There's a chance I could have got more money for the guns had I wanted to spend a full 2 days at the show. I just wasn't willing to let a legitimate buyer leave unless we could reach a reasonable price - so yes, I dropped $150 on Colt Commander as one guy walked away...who then turned around and eventually bought the last 2 guns.

I had about 20-25 people stop and really look at the guns, engage in conversation. About a third of the people were "looky lews", many fascinated with the shiny gun in a wood box (44 Mag revolver), another third were in the market and legitimate buyers but I just didn't have exactly what they wanted. The last third, those 7 people bought the 8 guns.

SIGNAGE:
The posterboard sign explained everything upfront for people. However, after a sale I wrote in large marker "SOLD" on the price sheets and taped the sheets to the chairs behind the table. People could easily see that I was selling stuff - something was happening at this table they needed to check out.

THE PEOPLE: THE NICEST I'VE EVER MET!!!

The people I met were some of the nicest on the planet. Some of the vendors provided great insight. Some of the customers passed on great knowledge about specific guns in order to help me sell them. I wish I had $20 for each person who told me the "missing wood handles on the Clint Eastwood gun" was gonna cost $2-300 in value.

One gentleman with his son were with their wives. They bought the .38 Special and now have a few of these same make & model gun so no matter what gun their wives grab, it will be familiar to them (smart thinking). One gentleman runs a non profit for children from broken homes. His location was overrun with cop cars & Black Live Matter protesters last week when that group tried to access and block the Phx freeway. He said the children were terrified as they moved them to a secure part of the building. He bought the Ruger .357 Magnum Security Six, a very nice guy.

The table to my right was a group of veterans who provide homes and apartments to struggling homeless veterans. They take no salary, everything on donations, including furniture. We had some great conversations. It was an honor for me to be the first to donate in the jar.

It was my first gun show. I found a lot of the vendors travel from show to show to make a 2nd income selling various things from hats, stickers, knives, dog training, damn near anything you can think of around the gun culture. Everyone was good people just trying to make an honest living. Since they're a dying breed, I feel guilty in that I should have spent more time at the event to meet more "Real Americans".

THE SECRET SAUCE:
Many people were curious how and why 30-40 year old guns looked so nice, even the .270 Ruger rifle. I used Mothers Billet Metal Polish, a product I've been using for over a decade. It's an amazing product (not the Mag Polish). After you wipe it off you need to wait an hour. Any product not removed turns to a bright white powder. Using a modified paint brush just remove it from any cracks and such. One guy who collects the "Clint Eastwood" 44 Magnums couldn't believe there were no swirl or rotation marks on the cylinder of that nickel gun. He pulled his friend off to the side and made him buy the gun because it was the 6.5" barrel and a rare condition.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it turned out for you, AZAmmo! It sounds like you did pretty well, along with having fun. Nice!

Thanks for checking back in. Glad to hear that I was pretty close a year ago!

45_auto said:
I'd ask about 10% more and let the buyer beat me down so they feel good:

Ruger .357 - $400
Ruger .22 - $250
Colt Commander - $700
S&W .38 - $350
S&W .44 - $850
Ruger M77 .270 with scope - $400, depending on scope

AZAmmo said:
This is what each gun sold for:
($395) Ruger - .357 Magnum Security Six (People said I priced this to low for condition)
($220) Ruger - .22 Mark Standard
($825) Colt- .45 ACP Combat Commander
($430) Smith & Wesson - .38 Special (Model 15-2)
($1,000) Smith & Wesson - .44 Magnum, Model 29-2
($445) Ruger - .270 M77R Mark II Rifle (intense discussion on .270 round, thank you Google on cell phone)

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing you should do is to get them appraised by a smith. He can assess their conditions and price them accordingly.

That model 29 got me drooling already. I'd make sure you get the true worth of that 44.

First thing you should do is to get them appraised by a smith. He can assess their conditions and price them accordingly.

That model 29 got me drooling already. I'd make sure you get the true worth of that 44.

You, apparently, missed post #41 - he's sold all of the guns at a gun show.

No need to have them appraised or to "get the true worth out of that 44" - they've all been sold.

Oooops, I forgot.

A huge thank you goes to those who provided estimates on the guns last year, especially "45_Auto". His pricing was at the core of what I used to make the price sheets and amazingly accurate with the BBofGuns values.

TWO TYPES OF BUYERS:
One last thing, in the hopes someone down the road finds this thread useful. Having been in sales for 30+ years I've found obviously everyone wants a deal. However, there are two types of buyers. There are those that expect to negotiate, and those that don't know how to negotiate.

As odd as it may seem, some people see a price and believe that to be their final cost. They either don't expect to negotiate, do not want to offend with an offer, or don't know how to start a negotiation. These "polite" type buyers will often just walk away if they see a price that seems unfair. Be prepared that high pricing will cause these type buyers to just walk away.

The buyer of the Colt Combat Commander was a perfect example of this. He didn't like the $975 price. In his mind he was thinking around $800, so rather then try to buy it, he just decided to walk away That's when I said "What about $850 for the Colt". He came back to the table, we talked for awhile and eventually split the difference at $825. He told me why he left, didn't want to insult me with an offer of $800. He ended up buying the two remaining guns.

Last edited:
However, there are two types of buyers. There are those that expect to negotiate, and those that don't know how to negotiate.

When I worked in a gunshop, the boss hated haggling and wouldn't allow it. I explained to him that for some guys haggling is half the fun and they'd be happier paying $750 for a gun that they talked down from $800 than they would be paying a flat $725.

So he finally allowed 10% wiggle room on the posted price.

Glad you found new homes for all the guns.

At a gun show, if a seller won't haggle he is a Dick! Can just go to any gun shop in town and get a military discount off regular price. Gun shows cost in gas, admission and parking. For a seller not to haggle is insulting and discourages going to the shows.

At a gun show, if a seller won't haggle he is a Dick! Can just go to any gun shop in town and get a military discount off regular price. Gun shows cost in gas, admission and parking. For a seller not to haggle is insulting and discourages going to the shows.

Legitimate businesses working at a gun show have to pay for gas, parking, admission, employees, insurance, utilities, to put food on their own tables, etc... which is far more expensive than any expense the customer has to endure for just showing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legitimate businesses working at a gun show have to pay for gas, parking, admission, employees, insurance, utilities, to put food on their own tables, etc... which is far more expensive than any expense the customer has to endure for just showing up.
All of which are pretty much equal to or less than the cost of a brick and mortar operation. The big thing at a gun show is I am often within eyesight of 3+ dealers with the same model of a new production gun or common used gun.

I don't much like gun shows beyond the OGCA shows where I can always find something I haven't seen before and don't necessarily intend to buy anything, but I expect to haggle at a gun show and a dealer unwilling to haggle would definitely get a raised eyebrow from me. UI don't like them because I hate haggling. My new gun purchases are bought from a dealer who uses a formula to calculate his premium and discloses the cost to order from distributor. He pulls up the various distributor sites while I watch(if I want), sees which one is cheapest, applies the formula to add his premium, calculates tax and tells me that is what he can sell it to me OTD. Perfect transaction as far as I am concerned. I've lived in places where almost all shopping is done in some sort of market and everything has to be negotiated, especially when one is clearly a foreigner, but I hate doing it. At some point you have to look at the amount of time you are wasting and what that is costing you. Still a gun show is a gun show and if you aren't haggling you aren't winning.

All of which are pretty much equal to or less than the cost of a brick and mortar operation. The big thing at a gun show is I am often within eyesight of 3+ dealers with the same model of a new production gun or common used gun.

You simply don't understand business

Brick and mortar gun shops do set up at gun shows and that increases their expenses.

Within eyeshot of other dealers means nothing. They are not all paying the same price for the same products.

Bigger dealers get bigger discounts. "Bigger" is relative which could mean how much money is spent with the wholesaler per order, per month or per year. Kmart and walmart can buy super bulk and retail their guns at lower prices than the majority of dealers can buy wholesale. Maybe you should take your business to them and stop bothering the LGS's since they know you will never spend your money with them

In the end they NEED to turn a profit to keep their doors open, which is something you don't understand or care about as long as you spend less than someone else paying for the same product.

You, apparently, missed post #41 - he's sold all of the guns at a gun show.

No need to have them appraised or to "get the true worth out of that 44" - they've all been sold.

Dam near had me passing coffee through the old snot box with that reply:eek:

n eyeshot of other dealers means nothing.
You simply don't understand business
I understand that if you can't provide a service or product to a customer when there are two competitors within sight that can, you aren't going to make many sales.

You seem stuck on the final cost, but as has already been indicated by myself and other, some people are happier to haggle and feel like they got a deal even if they didn't. The act of haggling, not the final cost is what is being discussed. I merely stated I don't like to haggle and found a good place to avoid it.

The cost to run a prospective customer with money in their pocket by a table at a gun show is probably 10-20% of the cost to get one through a brick and mortar gun shop.

I shop at several community non-firarms boutique stores. A SCUBA store, Kayak/canoe outfitter, running store, grocer, and probably a few others less frequently. None of which have the benefit of a high barrier to entry with an FFL and related training(why walmart doesn't sell handguns). I have no doubts as to why the "local" gun stores have problems the other boutique stores don't. It has nothing to do with buying gas to go to a gun show.

You sound like a contractor making excuses after I reject a bid.

Last edited:
Back