Broomhandle question

80viking

there are no windage adjustments on my BH what gives? and how do you know which one are ok for a shoulder stock?

Almost all C96 Mausers were cut for a shoulder stock. Look for the slot at the bottom rear of the grip. If it is there, it should be obvious. But not all came with the stock originally and that, combined with the law, means that few today in the U.S. have the stock.

As you may know, the C96 with an original German-made shoulder stock has been removed from the purview of the NFA and is considered a Curio and Relic, though still a pistol and subject to the FFA. Pistols with reproduction stocks are still under the NFA. Check state and local laws, also. A few states copied the federal law and have not changed.

Standard C96 pistol sights do not have windage adjustments, only elevation.

Jim

thanks for the reply Jim, so if I have an original C96 stock I should be OK, best I can figure is I have a pre war commercial BH

wood holster

Two of my BH’s have the wood holster that can be attached for a stock. I would like to have one of the ones with the metal extension shoulder stock but just cannot find and when can find I cannot afford!
Oh well…
Tom

As you may know, the C96 with an original German-made shoulder stock has been removed from the purview of the NFA and is considered a Curio and Relic, though still a pistol and subject to the FFA. Pistols with reproduction stocks are still under the NFA. Check state and local laws, also. A few states copied the federal law and have not changed.

Jim, I was under the impression that the replica stocks where treated the same as the originals. It would be very difficult law to enforce with so many quality fakes on the market. I see them being sold with both original and new stocks, local and on Gunbroker.

I have one original stock and two replicas, I sure would not want to be in violation.

BH

Replica stocks of the originals are exempt ATF has ruled. But you cannot attached a stock to a Colt 45 or Glock . Go figure

I have an original german shoulder stock for mine, problem is my BH shoots about 3'' to the left @ 50', I'd really like to do some 100yd plinking with it but not until I can figure out a way to adjust the windage, I'm thinking of finding another rear sight for it and figuring out a way of doing it with that?

Hi, Gunner336,

I was unaware of that change. At first, they were very specific about only original stocks being considered. Have they changed on other stocks? A year or so ago, I sold an FN BHP with a Canadian stock (registered) and asked if it had to go on a Form 4; BATFE said it did, since the stock was not original to the FN pistol. Had it been an Inglis BHP (the Chinese ones were slotted), it would have been non-NFA and I could have gotten a letter to that effect.

Jim

GUNNER336 said:
Replica stocks of the originals are exempt ATF has ruled. But you cannot attached a stock to a Colt 45 or Glock . Go figure

I never have figured out the reasoning behind the shoulder stock rule. You hand a shoulder stocked pistol to someone and most don't even know how to hold it.

I have found a way around it.
rcarbine01.jpg

''You hand a shoulder stocked pistol to someone and most don't even know how to hold it.''

The first time I fired my BH with the shoulder stock I learned how not to hold it :(

80viking - did you have hammer bite. I've got small hands, did not cross thumb over thumb and was shooting a Broomhandle that had a small ring. I still got bitten. :mad:

yes, I don't even grasp it with my thumb anymore, I keep it along side and pull the stock into my shoulder with the fingers around the front of the grip

I don't enjoy shooting my Broomhandles with a stock. I think they are quite comfortable as a stand-alone pistol. Here's my Conehammer in a Heiser holster.

HeiserBroomhandle6-1.jpg

Accoring to the printed C&R list from ATF, the stocks must be original German manufacture.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-11/atf-p-5300-11.pdf

Section III, page 39
Mauser, Model 1896 semiautomatic pistol accompanied by original German mfd. detachable wooden holster/shoulder stocks, all semiautomatic German mfd. variations produced prior to 1940,
any caliber.
Mauser, Pistol-Carbine, model 1896, 7.63mm, with shoulder stock and 11-3/4" to 16" barrel.

I have heard that repro stocks were also allowed to be attached to original C96s, but have not actually seen it in any official ATF documentation.

This is my Broomhandle, it's right near the top of my list of my favorite guns, and I consider myself a rifle guy.

I'm looking for a leather jock or some sort of holster the gun and stock will fit into, any suggestions?

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 30
I must be a bit slow. Because no rational reason to restrict a shoulder stock is coming to mind. Please enlighten me.

Because no rational reason to restrict a shoulder stock is coming to mind.

You're looking for a rational reason behind gun laws? :eek: :p
BWAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAA...gasp.....BWAAAHAAAAHHAAAAA.

Sorry.
OK, here it is. Pistols are more deadly than rifles because they are more concealable. Pistols with shoulder stocks are more deadly than pistols without stocks because they are more like rifles. Rifles with short barrels are more deadly because they are more like pistols. See, it's all very logical.

Back