Brittish enfield converted to .410 shotgun. ????

I just picked both of them up yesterday and just for the heck of it, will give them a good looking over, this afternoon. One is cleaner than the other. Really interested in seeing what they have to say. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

For many years in the UK, a police license was required for possession of a rifle, but a shotgun could be legally owned by registering it by mail. In those years, many of those surplus rifles were converted to .410 shotguns and sold, not to hunters, but to those who wanted a piece of history but did not own hunting land, have a secure safe, and meet all the other requirements for owning a rifle.

(Today, I understand, even shotguns are under rigid controls, and of course handguns have been completely banned for Her Majesty's subjects.)

Aye. It was the same type of deal as the cut/welded machine gun "displays" in the U.S.

And... Handguns haven't been completely removed from the hands of the royal subjects. If you talk to a lot of Brits, they'll brag that Veterinarians can still get licensed to own a handgun - to be used only for putting large animals down.
(And even that licensing provision is under risk of being removed. Veterinarians around the world have high suicide rates. Since the Brits tie the Vet suicide rate to owning pistols, they want to take the "suicide devices" away.)

Interesting. 45-70 is a lot higher pressure than .410, but lower pressure than .303. Safe or unsafe conversion(in theory)?

That rifle has had a Douglas bull barrel installed on (apparently) what was a .410 guard musket, which was converted from an original .303. Since the .303 is a much higher pressure cartridge than an ordinary .45-70, the gun is quite safe to shoot.

The conversion is vary easy. Just unscrew the 303 barrel and screw in a 410 barrel. Making the mag work is more complicated, but if your happy with a single shot your good to go. I converted a M44 to a 410 slug gun for deer in Ohio. It was for the grandkids and my number 2 granddaughter fired a 1 /12 in. 3 shot group with it off of a card table. I loaded 240 gr. hard cast bullets and pushed them at 1295 fps. form used 410 cases. With brass cases you would have a 405 Win. ( Teddy Roseivelts favorite African planes game round.)

at $250 it is hard for me to pass up, but it really doesn't fit well anywhere in my collection. I put my 45-70 Encore together over the weekend, and it just felt great. Balance, LOP, everything just seemed right.
Of course, it is twice the price or more.

Not faulting Can West triggers but if you have a No4 Mk2, mk1/2, or Mk1/3 the CanWest will not fit unless you remove the trigger hanger from the receiver.

Works fine with No4 Mk1 & No4 Mk1& though.

Back