brass or steel frame

Steel all the way. With brass you'll be stuck shooting wimp loads. With a steel frame you can load it however you want. besides there weren't any brass navies back in the day.

Brass.

Cheaper.

The Confeds made these in brass because they didn't have enough steel. Most are in .44 cal, Cabelas has a lot of sales on the .44 brasser navys for CHEAP. I would save the money and get one.

The Confeds made these in brass because they didn't have enough steel. Most are in .44 cal, Cabelas has a lot of sales on the .44 brasser navys for CHEAP. I would save the money and get one.

Nope. The closest the Confederates got to a brass 51 is the S&G of which there are three surviving pieces. Nobody ever made a brass .44 The original Confederate guns were bronze not brass anyway because it was easier to work with. Get the steel. History aside you'll be glad you did.

The brassers are cheaper. And just as good if you don't overload, which you should not do for best accuracy anyway. The have self lubricosity as well, making them cycle better.

The brassers are cheaper. And just as good if you don't overload, which you should not do for best accuracy anyway. The have self lubricosity as well, making them cycle better.

That's kinda funny. The guy that goes to great pains to make original type cartridges advocating a historically non existant gun because it's cheap. :D

That's kinda funny. The guy that goes to great pains to make original type cartridges advocating a historically non existant gun because it's cheap.

This guy sounds like a beginner.

While the brass framed guns aren't historically accurate, they are very good and fun guns, and you aren't out much if you find out that black powder revolver shooting "isn't for you" as it were. Trust me, many people find that out. This stuff isn't for everybody.

Steel! Period! End of statement!! Colt navies never came in brass! They may be Cheaper in brass,,,, So what? If you decide percussion pistols are not your cup of tea, there will be a lot more buyers for a steel pistol than a brasser. If you do decide that they are your cup of tea you will be much mo happier with a steel pistol. You can load it full, half full or a quarter full of powder and it will not care! you cannot do that with a Brasser.

P.S. Hawg ain't no beginner! He has probably forgotten more about these pistols than most of us will ever know.

Gunner,

I will only buy steel/stainless. However, I do own and shoot some brass framed guns. If you are just starting off, buy a brass gun. It costs less and will shoot fine, use lighter loads and go have fun.

DO NOT buy a brass framed gun but a brass grip frame is fine. Steel gunbs are better for beginners ans if they make a mistake the gun is stronger. Yes I do have two brassers but I aint a beginner and I dont shoot the brassres as much.

Not a fan of brass revolvers. My first cap and ball back in 1969 was a brass framed Navy. Shot it loose within two years. Steel all the way for me.

I have gotten two used brass colts, (griswold and gunnison .36 slightly loose arbor, .44 1851 navy very loose arbor). Unless you don't mind loading light loads, get a steel framed gun. Cabelas put's their .36 steel frame 1851s on sale sometimes. So for a few dollars more than the 'confederate navy .44' you can get a steel framed gun.

Howdy

My first ever revolver was an Uberti brass framed 44 caliber 'Navy'. Yeah, I know all about no brass or 44 cal Navies, thank you very much. But I didn't know that in 1968. Besides, it was much cheaper than a steel one.

Bottom line? It is a wall hanger today. Too many 30 grain loads (nobody was cautioning against heavy loads in a brass framed gun back then) and the barrel now points skyward when the wedge is snugged in place. Took me a while to figure out why it was always shooting high.

FirstPistol.jpg

A few years ago when I bought a pair of Armies, I didn't even consider brass.

Well, when I bought it, it was called the Army 60. I borrowed my Dad's car and drove down to the old Navy Arms showroom in Ridgefield NJ to buy it. Army 60 was the name in the catalog. I think I paid about $40 for it, which was a lot for a kid back then.

The split trigger/bolt spring broke not too long after I bought it. I didn't know anything about gunsmithing, but I took it to a local shop which replaced the spring for me. Eventually I learned all about disassembling and reassembling a single action revolver with that gun, took it all apart and put it back together again several times, without the aid of any diagrams. I was much braver back then than I am now.

Back