Brandishing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well some don't think its the answer. I do.

When I was in LE in Anchorage it would get nippy every now and then we were issued parka's that had a zipper on the side that was suppose to allow us to draw the service revolver. It did, the gun seem to always get caught up in the coat.

I took to carrying a stubby in my coat pocket, and when I was unsure of a situation I always had my hand on the gun.

This is nothing more then a carry over from that practice.

First off, the hand does grip the revolver. The finger is NOT ON THE TRIGGER.

Point shooting is just that point shooting. You learn by starting out without the gun.

You point with your finger. You have a tendency to point where you look.

Once you realize you are actually pointing at the target, you move to the gun.

You don't want your finger on the trigger, besides the safety reason, your finger isn't pointing. To point your finger, the index finger lays under the cylinder on a revolver or along the slide.

You are point shooting. It defeats the purpose to have your finger on the trigger.

I don't point shoot at 7 yards, at that distance you have time to bring the gun up. Point shooting is quite effective at < 3 yards, the distance where a huge majority of SD shooting occur.

A good training exercise is to use a partner and one of those blue training guns (or in none is available, your pointed finger). DO NOT USE A FIREARM.

Stand facing your partner at arms length. Have your partner hold is hand out shoulder width a part. You stand facing your partner ready to draw your revolver. When your partner sees you start to draw, he's to slap his hands before you can get your training aid or pointed finger between the hands.

You'd really be surprised how easy it is to beat the slapping hands.

I'll try to find some who knows how to make videos and we'll see if we can make some training videos.

Kraig,

If your trigger finger is pointing and not on the trigger, what finger is on the trigger?

Deaf

I think he may next tell us that the ultimate solution is a gun in each shoe.......with the big toe on the trigger of each gun and capable of putting two rounds on target in .713 seconds.

I don't know.....the whole scenario has confused me since "Banish" and things haven't gotten much better.

kraigwy said:
Well some don't think its the answer. I do.

I believe we were all clear that you think it's the answer, and that others don't. I'm not sure what value repeating it adds to the conversation.

I think most of us would readily agree that a revolver, carried in the pocket, is a viable, intelligent option.

What's missing is a compelling argument as to why it's the answer to the cases you noted, given a wide body of evidence supporting other solutions being equally viable. Anecdotal stories are a poor substitute, and reveal little of general value.

I've tried pants pocket carry with four handguns,,,

I've tried pants pocket carry with four handguns,,,
  • 22/25-PLY
  • LCR
  • LC9
  • S&W 36

There is no way I can get a quick draw,,,
Even with my loosest old-man pants.

The side pocket of my jacket though,,,
That's another story altogether.

My LCP (with a pocket holster) disappears in that pocket,,,
It nestles deep in the bottom and stays oriented,,,
And my hand can be casually gripping it.

More importantly, it's common to see people walking with their hands in their jacket pocket,,,
I don't commonly see people walking with their hands in their pants pockets.

Come the hot Oklahoma summer I'll have to shift my methodology,,,
But as long as the temperatures permits a light jacket,,,
My front jacket pocket is where I like my handgun.

When I see a woman wearing her purse strap cross-body,,,
And her hand is in the purse while she's walking,,,
I would bet a $100 bill her hand is on a gun.

And I do see that quite often.

Aarond

Last edited:
If your trigger finger is pointing and not on the trigger, what finger is on the trigger?

My guess is his thumb.

Since we don't put our finger on the trigger until we are ready to shoot, regardless of how you carry, the trigger finger is out of the trigger guard.

It just naturally fits under the cylinder of a revolver, or, on the frame under the slide of a pistol.

Such placement allows for pointing the finger, its natural, safe, and assist in point shooting.

This thread turned out to be more informative than I expected when I read the title. I'd appreciate responses that cover the role of a good pocket holster with a pocket carry revolver. Can a good pocket holster make the point and shoot option more viable? Or should I banish that thought?

As to the man who walked out onto his porch in the middle of the night after being awakened by knocking on his door and seeing no one through the peephole -- wasn't his first mistake leaving the safety of his home knowing someone unseen is out there? He could have monitored the peephole and windows, and he could have called 911 if he was concerned that someone was in trouble. Instead, he abandoned his family and his safety. Sure, he has every right to step onto his porch whenever he wishes. but if he believed there was enough danger to warrant doing so with a brandished gun, tactically he was a fool.

"...My spell checker sucks..." Nope. 'Banishing' is how it's spelt. snicker.
Spell Check doesn't find words spelt correctly. Like 'to' used as 'too'(or vice versa) or two or 'then' instead of 'than' or 'there', 'they're' or 'their' used incorrectly either.
In any case, brandishing isn't the same thing as drawing but not waving the thing around. Brandishing is drawing and waving the thing around.
"...what finger is on the trigger..." No fingers on trigger until and/or you have to shoot. Fingers unnecessarily on triggers cause accidents.

I've met and shot with Kraig.
I've been shooting 50 years,and when Kraig speaks,I listen.
You might consider it a shovel full of ore to pan out,but there will be some Gold in your pan.

He is a Gentleman who gives of himself to help shooters and the shooting sports.

Unless you are older than about 49,real people with real guns were trying to kill him before you were born.He has a lifetime of Military and Law Enforcement experience.The fact that he has survived it is Credibility.
IMO,some have identified themselves as immature disrespectful punks that need to grow up or go back to their video games.Why focus on a typo?

IMO,for a person who carries,the issue of readiness versus staying out of trouble is worthy of discussion.Its good to sort it out ahead of time.

IMO,a coat,jacket,or vest pocket is worthy of consideration.I might consider some form of holster attached inside the pocket,for cleanliness and security.It would need to draw dependably.That would cover 8 or 9 months out of the year.You can always wear a windbreaker in Wyoming!

Anyway,Thanks,Kraig.

I wouldn't feel comfortable clearing the cover garment and gripping the G26 unless there was a clear, imminent threat. I would feel comfortable gripping my 642 in my pocket if I saw a potential threat. Can I draw my 642 out of my pocket if I've already got a good grip on it faster than I could clear a cover garment and draw my G26 or S&W M60 from an OWB holster? I think so but should time it to be sure. There are other factors involved such as drawing while seated but this is food for thought.

T. O'Heir, I would guess Irish? East Coast? AYE?

Well anyway, the two places noted, gas station/ATM Machine? My Personal Vehicle is a Security Jeep, I own it, it has my Sons Company on it.

Not ever had any kind of problem in using this 08 Jeep, or the older one.

Same vehicle, parked behind the Technicians Vehicle, who would be repairing an ATM Machine, me armed Security, on foot, no problems there, except some one pulling up behind me "Is it down?" Hello! In the dark, my vehicle lights up like a rainbow.

In Gas Station, hold pump handle, make sure no drips, stand away from filler.
Come close enough, you will get drowned.
"Can I help you" has a whole new meaning!

We used to do an armed Patrol at a gated community, I did the week ends, met all the local Deputy's, at one time or another.

I lived close to those homes, one night, me not working, had reason to call 911. No I did not go outside, but I was inside, armed!

The Dispatcher made sure I left any weapons upstairs, when I greeted the SIX! Deputy's. Including a Sgt. Oh yes they knew who lived in my house!

Some one pulled open my locked screen door at 1AM. I heard the snap as it opened, and the scrape as the door went over the rubber mat.

The house was still secure, they checked the down stairs, the Garage.

"Good night" Keep Safe. All was well. And no, you do not go outside with a gun, after calling 911!

The whole premise of removing a firearm from its holster in anticipation of an attack which is represented only by suspicious circumstances is very troubling.. to me at least. Doing anything with a firearm that can be observed by others can have some very serious implications. Just speaking for myself, if I cannot clearly articulate the existence of jeopardy, I am not likely to be doing anything at all with a firearm.

As far as the explanation of what point shooting is in this thread.. it seems to be a rather literal interpretation and reminiscent of the early 1900's. I do not subscribe to that method as the reliance on pointing your finger can be a precarious endeavor during ongoing fighting. I prefer to rely on intuitive pointing of a firearm without the use of a finger as a guide or sights. I only use the end of the barrel is as it remains below eye level but within my field of view.

Last edited:
Fire Forged, good description, a suggestion, if we are talking semi auto pistols, where you can change the original sights.

I have all TruGlo sights on my pistols. These fiber optic night sights are the bees knees!

Even in day light/bright sunlight! As you push your gun forward, from a draw, even not focusing on the sights, as in looking over the top of them.

Those bright green dots (my favorite color) show up incredibly well.

This is using your peripheral vision. If your punch draw is in your actual sight line, even better.

I would really like to try tru-glo on my own guns for that purpose as well. I have handled several pistols (not mine) with tru-glo and I agree that it is easily superior while point shooting.

It remains true that there is a time to have your finger on the trigger and there is a time to have your finger outside the trigger guard.

Pointing the finger along the side of the handgun is a trigger finger discipline that may be easily over ridden by panic if necessary.

warn parties in both gas pump and ATM to back off. If compliance is happening then all appears to be good. If non compliance then all bets are off and brandishing is in order.

Sounds like behavior designed to let an attorney tap your bank account dry. It's a good bet that any ATM or set of gas pumps is monitored by video, giving an innocent person slam-dunk evidence of unwarranted assault by brandishing. One's sidearm is for shooting an assailant threatening your life or health or the life or health of another or (in some jurisdictions) your property. It would be wise to draw it only when such a legitimate threat exists. Odds are a jury won't find it reasonable to feel so threatened if a person crowds your comfort zone by a foot. And, good luck issuing orders about where a person can stand in a public space where he has a right to be. In fact, under Stand Your Ground doctrine, once you brandish a handgun to an innocent, you've granted him license to shoot you.

Please note, when mounting the rear portion of TruGlo sights (the rear sight)
for some reason, in producing their rear Glock 9mm sights, TruGlo do not conform to the center positioning that the plastic factory sights, factory mounted do.

Looking down on the rear TruGlo sight, mount it a fraction to the right. Prior to your test firing. You can then tweak it on the range if required.

I use a cardboard target, with 2" black dots, at around 7 yards. For alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back