Brady State Rankings, Jan. 2008

Blondie

Those poor people from California... I am glad I am from a state that is tied for 44th place!

Cheers!

Blondie

Brady State Rankings, Jan. 2008
1 CALIFORNIA
2 NEW JERSEY
3 CONNECTICUT
T3 MASSACHUSETTS
5 MARYLAND
6 NEW YORK
7 RHODE ISLAND
8 HAWAII
9 ILLINOIS
10 PENNSYLVANIA
11 MICHIGAN
T11 DELAWARE
13 NORTH CAROLINA
14 OREGON
T14 VIRGINIA
T14 WASHINGTON
17 COLORADO
T17 IOWA
19 ALABAMA
20 OHIO
21 MAINE
T21 WISCONSIN
23 MINNESOTA
T23 NEVADA
T23 NEW HAMPSHIRE
T23 SOUTH CAROLINA
T23 WYOMING
28 NEBRASKA
29 GEORGIA
T29 TEXAS
T29 VERMONT
32 INDIANA
T32 MONTANA
T32 FLORIDA
35 KANSAS
T35 TENNESSEE
37 ARIZONA
T37 ARKANSAS
T37 IDAHO
T37 NEW MEXICO
T37 SOUTH DAKOTA
T37 WEST VIRGINIA
43 MISSISSIPPI
44 ALASKA
T44 LOUISIANA
T44 MISSOURI
T44 NORTH DAKOTA
T44 UTAH
49 KENTUCKY
T49 OKLAHOMA

I'm stunned to see that the states at the top of Brady's list are also at or near the top of violent crime rates.

It's a real shocker! :rolleyes:

Notice they didn't rate DC by their new standards? No doubt because it would get nearly 100/100 and still have a horrendous crime rate.

But you can still see their page from last year.

Now ... we all know DC should have gotten an "A+". But once again, that would NOT have looked good, that such a violent place got such a high rating.

So take a look at this and have a laugh at how they figured out a way to downgrade the district. When you don't like the statistics, just change the statistics you look at! (DC is graded on different criteria than the states).

DC as Brady sees it

Ability of Congress to Repeal DC's gun laws = F
Congress has authority to repeal DC's gun laws. (DC residents and City Council do not favor repeal)

LOL! Yup -- the only way they could downgrade DC was because congress has the ability repeal their gun laws. As though there were any way to make it so Congress couldn't downgrade DC gun laws, or DC laws of any kind. Or if you go with the Brady view that congress can pass any gun laws they want, that they could repeal/override the gun laws of any state.

I suppose they should now downgrade all the states because it's possible that SCOTUS may rule on Heller that some laws are unconstitutional.

It's no wonder they haven't done grades the last couple of years. Their grading system compared to crime statistics destroys their whole case!

I think they only renewed grades because we now have democrats in power, and they hope that by defining all their "points" they can get some action at the Federal level.

Except in DC ...

BTW -- why in the world would colorado be all the way up in 17. I think we have excellent gun laws here. We have castle doctrine in the home, shall issue concealed carry with no restrictions on where to carry, even ability to carry a gun in school zones in a vehicle, no "duty to retreat" in public and far better than average protection from civill law suits, open carry legal, preemption everywhere, with some limited restrictions that could still be reviewed by the courts, etc.

I guess we need a VCDL type organization to start pushing the finer points. Anybody want to organize a CCDL?

I'm already a member of the state shooting association and they do good work, but they are too civilized to push at the level of a VCDL.

State Scorecards

Here are the states as ranked by our "friends" over at Brady. Happy to say that my home state scored rather poorly on their scale. Got an 11 out of 100. So where does your state rank?

http://www.stategunlaws.org/

Also seems to me that the states with higher scores have higher crime rates. Imagine that........

I'm in 14th? That's way too high. The Brady Campaign should put a crime statistics chart right next to this and use that in their argueme...... Nevermind. Then they would lose :D

I'm in 14th? That's way too high. The Brady Campaign should put a crime statistics chart right next to this and use that in their argueme...... Nevermind. Then they would lose

Actually many Red "gun" states tend to have higher overall crime rates compared to similar populated blue states. Texas and Florida have a higher crime rate than to NY. If you look at FBI data I linked to you will see that the Northeast has the lowest crime rates in the US, while the south has by far the highest overall Violent and property crime rates.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/offenses/standard_links/regional_estimates.html

Actually many Red "gun" states tend to have higher overall crime rates compared to similar populated blue states. Texas and Florida have a higher crime rate than to NY. If you look at FBI data I linked to you will see that the Northeast has the lowest crime rates in the US, while the south has by far the highest overall Violent and property crime rates.

If you are doing it per capita, then yes that is correct I suppose. But with all those gun laws that NYC, and California have, how do criminals there commit any crimes? Remember, it's the guns that rob the old man at the gas station not the punk kid on the corner. :rolleyes:

There were 2,485 murders in California in 2006 and 194,120 violent crimes. In Texas, 1,384 murders and 121,378 violent crimes. In Virginia 399 murders and 21,568 violent crimes. OK which is lowest on the list had 207 murders and 17,803 violent crimes. Some are higher some are lower. the crime stats don't actually tied directly to the list out of Brady.

Very complete web source on crime stats for 40 years http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

But with all those gun laws that NYC, and California have, how do criminals there commit any crimes? Remember, it's the guns that rob the old man at the gas station not the punk kid on the corner.

The truth of the matter is that illegal guns are very easy to obtain. That is just the way it is. Even if a state banned them they would be smuggled in from neighboring states. In essence gun laws have little effect on crime rates. Crime is a symptom of other economic conditions.

Brady

Can't figure out why PA is higher on their list then DE. I'll have to investegate this one. I know that Brady lives in DE and wish she'd move to NYC. But DE has a harder CCDW to get them PA. And no 5 day waiting period. Their list is so arbitrary. :confused:

Glad that only 1 out of 50 states got a passing grade.49/50 flunked their test. We must be doing something right if they think so little of us.

The truth of the matter is that illegal guns are very easy to obtain. That is just the way it is. Even if a state banned them they would be smuggled in from neighboring states. In essence gun laws have little effect on crime rates. Crime is a symptom of other economic conditions.

I was being sarcastic. But that is exactly why I don't get gun laws.They don't actually stop anything.

Take a look here at how Brady gave out points:

Score Criteria

And look at how they rate things -- I'm sure they put much thought into this so that the final results would be what they wanted.

A "universal background check," meaning no guns transferred without an FFL, was given a whopping 17 points. That's 17% of all the points available, and 7 points more than the next highest item. Most of the items are only given a 2.

The next highest item is 1 handgun per month, at 10.

And here's a beauty ... under the "child protection" area that is worth 7 points:

Only authorized users are able to operate new handguns

I would assume this is like the NYC law (though only NJ gets the 7 points out of all the states), where only licensed people can even touch a firearm. Talk about gatekeeping to make sure no one new gets into the sport!

When I get time (if I get time) I'm going to load these into a spreadsheet and compare them with the Federal Crime Statistics.

Just a couple of things ... according to the crime stats from the FBI site, the two states with the lowest Brady scores had these rates of murder per 100,000:

OK: 5.3
KY: 4.6

The 2 highest states:

CA: 6.9
NJ: 4.8

And of course, Gun free DC, which they wisely chose not to score, does not do well in the murder category:

DC: 33.5

So bottom line is ... best ranked state has a higher murder rate than either of the bottom 2. 2nd ranked state falls between the bottom 2.

And they expect these numbers to garner support and bring us over to their cause ... how?

Radiki said:
There were 2,485 murders in California in 2006 and 194,120 violent crimes. In Texas, 1,384 murders and 121,378 violent crimes. In Virginia 399 murders and 21,568 violent crimes. OK which is lowest on the list had 207 murders and 17,803 violent crimes. Some are higher some are lower. the crime stats don't actually tied directly to the list out of Brady.

Why quote absolute stats at all? They aren't meaningless, but they are impossible to compare.

Nobody is (or should be) claiming that crime stats tie directly to the Brady Center list. But there seems to be a fairly clear correlation between a better Brady rating and a higher crime rate.

Back