Brady Gun Control State Rankings Are Out

Nice graph No Pants.

I took a nod from your idea and pulled the violent crime data for the top and bottom 6 of Brady's list. Here goes:

Top Brady Score States vs Violent Crime Rank

California 1st with a crime rank of 14th
New Jersey 2nd with a crime rank of 26th
Massachusetts 3rd with a crime rank of 20th
Connecticut 4th with a crime rank of 37th
Maryland 5th with a crime rank of 8th
New York with a crime rank of 22nd

Lowest Brady Score States vs Violent Crime Rank

Utah 50th with a crime rank of 45th
Oklahoma 49th with a crime rank of 17th
Louisiana 49th with a crime rank of 5th
Kentucky 49th with a crime rank of 40th
Idaho 49th with a crime rank of 42nd
Arizona 49th with a crime rank of 16th

Not much of a correlation either way but it looks like it is safe to say that the Brady campaigns ideas and their rating system does nothing to influence the rates of violent crime in a state.

Go MO!

MO 4 points - like it.

WI 10 points... Grr... see what Brady thinks about zero CCW: "Wisconsin has weak gun laws..." Granted NFA items are ok, but there is a 48hr wait for handguns and other things that should make them happy.

"Only authorized users are allowed to operate new handguns"

-What, does that even mean!? The old concept of fingerprint scanners on the grip? "Training required before operation?" They come with a manual...
That's it - DNA coding. Snicker - we could have fun with that one.

To be honest, the ratings criteria are horrible for even the Brady Campaign. Most of the points/assignments are different from their older criteria. My conclusion is they created many more "categories" which are conducive to "gun violence" so as to generate lower state scores and promote a "crisis" RE firearms.

The crisis is .380... not gunshow loopholes!

I congratulate the citizens in the lowest ranked states as they see the fruits of activism, advocacy, positive image of firearms/firearm ownership reflected in state statutes.

WOW! Utah has ZERO points! I'm converting to Mormon and moving west!
The 2010 should show that Mormons consist of less than 60% of the population and some counties will be significantly below 50%. Active Mormons would, of course, consist of an even smaller slice of the population.

0 out of a hundred!!!!!!!! This is like winning an Olympic gold!!! But better!!!

Last edited:
"Pro gun people want to see High blue bars"

I beg your pardon?

High blue bar means high crime rate, no?

Why on earth would gun owners want to see high blue bars?

As a gun owner, I'd MUCH rather see low red bars AND low blue bars.

Not much of a correlation either way but it looks like it is safe to say that the Brady campaigns ideas and their rating system does nothing to influence the rates of violent crime in a state.

True enough, but the "average" rank for crime for the Brady States was 25 vs. 33 for the free states. :D

graph problems

One thing to consider....If your graph is just general "crime" then there is automatically no real relation between your two statistics. What you need is the "rank score" vs. "gun related crimes" and also maybe "gun related deaths" or "crime related shootings" cause not all crime involves guns and not all shootings involve a crime....just my 2 cents....kthxbye.

Last edited:
"Pro gun people want to see High blue bars"

I beg your pardon?

High blue bar means high crime rate, no?

Why on earth would gun owners want to see high blue bars?

As a gun owner, I'd MUCH rather see low red bars AND low blue bars.

Actually, the height of the blue bar makes little difference, as you will always have one high and one low, with the rest in the middle. Its a simple ranking of states. That comment was a typo on my part, due to not thinking it through. With this in mind, a better way to make the graph would not be with state rankings, but with the actual crime rate per 100k people. That would be an easier visual comparison.

One thing to consider....If your graph is just general "crime" then there is automatically no real relation between your two statistics. What you need is the "rank score" vs. "gun related crimes" and also maybe "gun related deaths" or "crime related shootings" cause not all crime involves guns and not all shootings involve a crime....just my 2 cents....kthxbye.

If you want to make one that compares those figures, go for it. I personally wanted to see how general crime rate compared to Brady scores. Turns out, there is very little correlation.

One thing to consider....If your graph is just general "crime" then there is automatically no real relation between your two statistics.

Also, one might consider city vs. rural. Hell, in AZ I'd wager half our population is in a handful of cities. Those of us in small towns experience a heck of a lot less crime than, say Phoenix, and I'd bet dollars to donuts we have more guns per capita.

Guns don't kill people, people living all squashed together like ants kill people - just ain't natural is all I'm saying. :cool:

Back