BP is best!

ZVP

Best because you spend more time handling these beautiful pieces of machienery!
Loading takes several steps and you always get to handle the revolver more Even shooting is slower giving more handling and observation time of how the mechanism works.
It's a true act of love of the sport of shooting!
You DO NOT get that with a plastic 9mm...

Amen!

When at the range, those pop gun fellas show up, blast away at 7 yards 50-100 rounds of ammo, pack up and are gone in less than an hour. Meanwhile, my buddies and I might have shot half that much between us in as much time at 3 times the distance.

Indeed, the black powder weapons are so unique, the fact that they are so dynamic and involved is a bonus for me.

Indeed, showing up to the range with a plastic fantastic GLAWK 9 mary-mary just isn't nearly as fun as shooting my Colt's revolving belt pistol of naval caliber, or my M1805 Harper's Ferry .54 caliber horse pistol:

rvefvdg.jpg

20160104_205418.jpg

Couldn't agree more ZVP! Took my 1858 Remington when invited to go shooting by my black gun cartridge shooting friends and they were astounded by my revolver. Some had never heard of a cap and ball before and they were amazed by the accuracy. Of course they all wanted to shoot it, so I loaded it up for them and let them have a few shots each. I was more on target with my fire breathing, smoke belching Remmie than my friend with a Glock!

True The characteristic "boom" and the smoke of a cap and ball revolver have a charm which is lacking from modern guns.

Plus, I love the way a single action revolver balances and sits in the hand; there's just something natural in the way it points at the target. Despite the weight it's a pleasure to shoot one-handed in the 'old' duelist style.

They look so amazing! I have wanted to learn the ways of making a black powder rifle or musket. I sure wish there was an apprenticeship program.

Thanks guys.
M12, there are several places you can go ion the USA to learn this craft. I have taught several students in years past myself.
Where are you?

Shooting muzzle loaders is indeed different from shooting modern metallic cartridge firearms. I am casting bullets and reload but find muzzle loaders relaxing to shoot.

Cheap, too. When everybody else at the range blasted away a box of ammo, I am usually done with three or four shots and with the proper load the Pedersoli match pistols are very accurate.

image_zpsh89e7xvy.jpeg

image_zpskkcuir6g.jpeg

Thanks guys.
M12, there are several places you can go ion the USA to learn this craft. I have taught several students in years past myself.
Where are you?

I am in east central Kansas. I've found that cowboy action shooting is somewhat popular here, but not as much interest in muzzleloading weapons.

Well you are too far away from me for me to help you much, but I am happy to advise anyone that truly want to learn. If you want to give it a try let me know and I will coach you through the process.

Back