Boycott, schmoycott...

What (if any) is your cutoff date?

• Late 1950's, when they stopped using names and went to numbers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Early 1980's, when they stopped pinning barrels and recessing chambers.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Early 1990's, when they went from roll-stamping to laser engraving.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Late 1990's, when they went to frame-mounted firing pins and MIM parts.

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 3/00, when they signed The Agreement.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • I still think their new stuff is worth buying.

Votes: 35 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it has the firing pin on the frame, I won't buy it. If it's NIB, I won't buy it.

Don't mind the laser engraving so much, but I wish they still chamfered the charge holes and pinned the barrels.

None of the above, it was mostly when they stopped offering blued guns as part of their regular model lineup. I don't want to have to goto a performance center gun just to get a blued finish. Is it really so wrong to want a 27, 28, or 29 and to not want stainless guns shoved down your throat?

Things like non-pinned barrels and non-recessed chambers is just additional cost cutting measures to provoke me into not buying newer guns.

Darn it...

I'd thought about adding a "blued/stainless" line too, but figured it would just complicate things excessively.

If you want to respond, "Early 1990's" is when 90% of the blued guns took a powder. :)

Life is too damn short. If I see a Smith I want, pre or post sell-out, I buy it. Same goes for Ruger.

Agreement was the absolute "no more" new bought or sold for me.

Managed to buy around the stainless for a while but the selection had thinned out.........and finding a GOOD one in blue was getting difficult.

I get a kick out of "Laser Engraving". Used to be cheap n quick means of identifying inexpensive metal objects, used electric pencil. Now it is trick and therefore saleable.

Sam

Yesterday, I was in a large gun shop...

..that I don't normally go to. It has several employees. The guy who was selling me the small leather ammo pouch I had gone for told me that, "As far as he was concerned, the boycott is over, S&W is again American owned". To me, it seems like it will take a little more than that. S&W must somehow admit that the Clinton deal was a mistake, apologize, and find a way to get themselves out of that mess. "With us or against us", as a great man recently said.

KR

I've never ever bought one of thier products, new or used. My dad had a bunch of thier pistols when I was growing up, the 6" K-38 was fun. The #29 had too many problems, the others were, well, just not very interesting...I went Ruger and Colt.

The boycott just does not make long term sense..............

as a means of "disciplining" S & W. I agree that what they did was both aversive and outright stupid. But to boycott them so as to possibly hurt them so bad so that they fold has always seemed to me to be shortsighted. The "antis" would love to have S & W go into oblivion! They would love to see that and to help them in their cause by boycotting S & W makes little sense to me. There are other, better ways to let them (S & W) know how you feel about what they did. Write a letter to their management. I did and I got a reply from them with which I was not satisfied. So, I wrote them again and so on. I wrote my conservative congressman and let them know that I thought the whole agreement idea was political blackmail. And, that I thought that they should oppose it - some of them did. But, to beat S & W to death by boycotting - IMHO not a good idea. I remlember the old saying, "The beatings will stop when the morale improves". Think about it.

What sellout with Ruger are people referring to? I'm familiar with the S&W one, but didn't know about a Ruger betrayal.

Thanks,
Steve

Used, please.

Pre-Agreement.

Don't care for laser engraving. Would lean toward firing pin on the hammer, but not required. Chamfered would be nice.

Most important...pre-agreement.

The beatings will stop when the threat is eliminated.

Early 1980's, when they stopped pinning barrels and recessing chambers.

I had 5 or 6 M29s, blued and nickle prior to about 1982. Everytime I needed a few bucks I'd sell a 29 and later replace it. The last time I did so, a few months later a friend showed me his newly purchased 29-3. Workmanship on it was disappointing to say the least and the fondly remembered P&R features were history. I was saddened to see S&W take this route.

Found a mid-'70s, LNIB blued 29-2 at a show in the early eighties. Me and that one have never parted, along with other S&W oldies but goodies.. S&W revos made after 1980 don't interest me in the least. But I would buy a new Model 41 if S&W refuted the agreement. And I still buy their older revolvers made before 1980.

I buy any / all Smith & Wesson revolvers I like. I like their post-agreement revolvers as much as any. All men should vote their conscience. I do and I buy S&W whenever I choose without having to consult anyone else. Ain't life in the good old USA great? Cryoman

SteveW13,

Ruger's CEO threw the gun abolitionist the high capacity bone. They took it and the rest is history.

Gabriel

Used only

I wouldn't buy anything new. *&* will NOT get any money from me.

I'm still kind of new to this, and only just picked up my first *&*. It's an older (1978) revolver. Great price and it felt right. I just couldn't leave it at the store.

What sellout with Ruger are people referring to? I'm familiar with the S&W one, but didn't know about a Ruger betrayal.
Steve, people are referring to the 10-round magazine and to the active collaboration in the outlawing of the so-called "assault weapons" in exchange for having Mini-14 excluded from the ban. Bill Ruger also made some outrageous public statements about private ownership of guns for other than "sporting" purposes. Check the search function to find several threads on that very topic.
To me personally, the extent of Ruger's betrayal is far greater than that of S&W.

It sure would make it easier to boycott them if they didnt sell guns. I just watched the movie "Nightmares end" last night about how the allied troops went in and liberated the concentration camps in europe at the end of the war. The amount of death they encountered was staggering. Bodies piled up like cord wood, mountains of human ash, wharehouses stacked to ceiling with personal belongings, it goes on and on...very horrible.

Boycott smoycott, buy other brands if you can to try and teach em a lesson during peacetime, but dont let any holes in your personal arsenal go unfilled just cause they're S&W...A gun is a gun is a gun...

That movie dang near brought me to tears a few times. What happened over there was too real to ever be forgotton and we surely cant let it happen again. All of a sudden S&W dont seem too bad at all. And to all you WWII vets out there, I thank you for your fortitude of spirit and duty...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back