Boy am I dumb - lesson learned

After shooting my 1860 and Cimarron Old Model P with 3F Holy Black I get home and spray the guns good with Ballistol moose milk And sometimes wait overnight to finish cleaning them. Not a bit of rust from it!

Rogers & Spencer Free Wheeling

I brought this Euroarms Rogers & Spencer in an estate sale last year. It doesn't always free wheel when in the half-cock position, at least 9 out of 10 times it will lock up as soon as I rotate the cylinder. I have the most luck if I rotate the cylinder while pulling the hammer back. I'm looking for a parts breakdown to see it the gun is assembled correctly or something is just worn out. I had the gun apart once but it was doing this before that. Just seems to be getting worst or I have less patience.

Donald

This was suppose to be a New Thread...

Last edited:
"I think where you're located has a lot to do with it. I live in the deep south where its very humid so you'd think I'd have a hard time keeping guns from rusting without leaving them unfired but it isn't so."

While maybe quite as deep south as either of us where RH is typically in the 80 something percentile, I do believe he had humid conditions as well. I need to find his posts on another forum (which and when?). I'll post a link when I find it.

More digging around I found your response then on the 1858 Forum:

"I guess it depends on location. I live in south Ms. and I have left a gun fired with Pyrodex uncleaned for nine days without any rust or corrosion. I frequently go two or three days without cleaning. With Swiss I have to clean the same day. I left a rifle uncleaned overnight after firing Swiss and it had a white coating in the bore the next day. No harm done, it cleaned up easy but it gave me a start when I saw it."

My results with Pyrodex powder in my rifle left overnight go right along with dledinger's, and I lived in San Antonio, TX, which is nearly as humid as you I'm certain of.

A white film I wouldn't necessarily call corrosion, but the rust I found in my rifle the next day in my muzzleloader, and how hard it was to get it out will forever be in my mind. It wasn't but 12 hours or so. I would have been OK with a white film and not rust.

Back