Bought another Double Tap this morning

peggysue

Been really depressed lately so I bought another gun from Buds Guns. A Double Tap 45ACP with "ported barrels". It was only $229 on their site so I thought Why Not. I got a double tap when they first came out a couple years ago. Difference in the 2 will be in the ported barrels and $200 less than I paid for first DT with a non ported barrel.

My addiction.. My collection....I won't shoot this one even with ports.

And so it goes

Last edited:
Thank you. LOL I am a collector. However it take a real man as I have fired mine. I have shot my 45ACP Downsizer too and hurt for a week. LOL

Last edited:
I seen a guy at the range shoot one. 10 mins later he showed me his hand and it was black & blue. He asked me if I wanted to shoot it....but I said no thanks. ;)

You probably already know, but in case you don't, be careful with those things as they're prone to fire both barrels at once from time to time.

I was looking at this a week or so ago. This video is Part 3 of a series this guy made on the Heizer DT. Start watching at 6:00 into it for the double fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcY4tjTmroE

That the DT shooting both barrels at once is a folk tale like the one about the COP derringer. The DT has 2 separate strikers on a ratchet. Don't see how it can happen unless one modifies the clock work. See in attachment with pictures.. Only problem was rounds sticking when one tester was using reloads 3 years ago.
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/09/11/double-tap-defense-factory-tour/

review..wear gloves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6mMinG6RRI

I'd get a 9mm barrel for it but at the $229 price of the gun almost cheaper to get another derringer. At the current low price i think it is a bargain. i will post pics when i get it in with the one i already have.

Last edited:
Earlier in the series of videos the guy noted and showed instances of where the primer in the round in the unfired barrel has received a light strike or dimple from its firing pin. He even sent it back to the factory before the incident with both barrels firing.

I don't know how the Heizer is made, but it could be that the springs are too weak to retain the unfired firing pin under recoil. American Derringer used two different springs, a weaker one for .22s and .38s, and a stiffer one for the more powerful rounds to prevent just that.

I don't think the DT firing both barrels is a wives' tale.

Heizer is NOT Double Tap Defense...2 different companies. Sorry. The problems were linked to the reloads use. Not the DT pistol. I have a couple American derringers. Did not know they were still in business in WACO they were single action
again here is a link of how Double taps are made..again
Check it out
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/09/11/double-tap-defense-factory-tour/

but remember we all know everything on the internet is true..

Last edited:
Picked up my second Double Tap Derringer. Got my first
3 years ago when they first came out $499.00. Buds had them for only $229.00. The new one has ported barrels. If you notice the one on the right is a rubber slip on grip.
I've got another one of those coming from Buds also.

829359d1429305177-glimpse-my-little-collection-two-dtd.jpg

Wonder how a both barrels at once on a DT 45 would compare with my T/C Contender 10" 45-70? That one gets my attention enough that I got some gloves to wear when I plan on shooting it more than 5 or 6 times in one session.

peg,

That Gatling gun would be awesome, but at that price I'd have to be able to drive it and live in it.

A nice thing about an M500 is that once you've expended your five shots you still have a lethal weapon in the form of a 4-lb club. I'm guessing you've never broken your hand by firing it like the guy did with his .45-70 Derringer.

I heard that American Derringer built their .45-70 Alaska Survival at the request of the Alaska Highway Patrol for use as a portable big bear defense gun. I'd have to have a grizzly bearing down on me fast and furiously before I found the courage to pull that trigger, and I'd make darn sure to hit the beast with a kill shot, because I doubt I'd have enough of a hand remaining to make a follow-up shot.

How do you carry your DoubleTap? How quickly can you reload with the 2-round speed strip stored inside the grip?

i don't carry my DTDs. Just put it in my gun room display. I am a collector. i am over trying to shoot every gun I own. Too many. I enjoy letting people shot them and have been gifting guns lately. If you are in the area. The Gun I carry is a COP .357.

As for comparing the recoil of a 45ACP to a Thompson Contender 45-70. The TC I have is a 44 and has nice big comfortable wood grips. i would say it would hurt less as it won't drive it back into your the web of your hand. Speaking from shooting my 45ACP WSP Downsizer which is very much smaller than the two DTD. Google it. Cheapshot.

Last edited:
I find the COP very comfortable to shoot as it is designed -a defense gun not a range gun. Very compact comfortable to carry in a OBH. Also comfortable in the hand. The trigger pull is long and heavy buy I can feel the breaking point and it is the only safety. Recoil is no more than a 357 snubby. 100% reliable.
And yes I picked this over every gun i own which is about every gun made.

I have 2 Double tap derringers in 45ACP. One has ported barrels and I have the training grip for each too. A 9mm barrel kit cost as much as another gun. I will see come Friday if I decide to get a third but in 0mm. $229 + 10 transfer is all it is. What to do.

Back