Bought a spray painted H&K VP9SK for $325. How to fix it...

veprdude

I bought a VP9SK today from a local pawn shop. Previous owner had spray painted it bright red for whatever reason. Shop manager had removed about 95% of the paint using some kind of gun solvent.

What's the best way to remove the residual paint? I scrubbed one of the grip inserts with a toothbrush and gasoline to see how that works (picture 4) but am leery of doing that to the frame. Any bright ideas?

IMG_0151%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_0152%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_0153%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

IMG_0154%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

Last edited:
Auto parts stores sell a product called Aircraft Stripper. It's an industrial strength paint remover. I'm certain it would do the job (unless the coating is epoxy), but I would test a small, concealed spot first to see how it reacts.

I'd leave it alone. Anything likely to take the paint off effectively is likely to be bad for the frame material.

Graffiti remover

I use a graffiti remover that will not harm the finish. I have used this on a Leupold 8.5x24 long range scope that Bubba had painted camo of sort. I'd try a small area like under the safety to make sure, what ever I used ,would not dissolve the gun. Also, you can go crazy trying to figure why Bubba does most anything.:mad:

I'd suggest trying whatever you find on that little removable grip panel that I see. It's the same material as the frame (I'd bet) and if the solvent melts the polymer, you can just pitch the panel & replace.

What about taking the opposite approach? Look up the Lauer Weaponry web site, pick a color of Duracoat that most closely matches the slide, and recoat the receiver?

Oops or Goof Off?

There are numerous products available but I would try the suggestion above to contact HK to see what they might recommend.

Good luck!

That red reminds me of the "Lipstick on a pig" phrase, not that the H&K is any form of a pig.

As others said, it's gonna take a harsh solvent to remove what's left, and the fear there is how is that going to affect the frame material. I'd also be concerned about what the Pawn Broker used and what the solvents were in the paint itself. I'm gonna guess the Pawn Broker was quite happy to get $325 outta it.

Krylon makes a great matte black spray paint for plastics, called "Fusion all-in-one".......just sayin'.

Graffiti Remover

Graffiti Remover: I did not find the graffiti remover to be a harsh solvent. The stuff is designed to remove graffiti, usually spray paint, without harm to what ever is underneath. I go with calling HK and experimenting on the removable part as ESQ suggested. You may consider using the handgun and allowing the stuff to wear off.:eek:

If paint thinner or mineral spirits (same thing) harm the frame, then most gun care products would do the same.
Set the frame in a pan, cover it with thinner, and cover the pan. Let is sit for 30 minutes.
Wear rubber gloves, and scrub it with a toothbrush.
It might be a good idea to test first-just in case the paint is an epoxy type-but my bet is that all the paint will come right off with no damage.

As funny as it's going to sound, try starting off small with something like soap and water or rubbing alcohol before you start using industrial strength paint thinner and the like which could affect the frame.
There's a good chance that whatever the shop owner tried first has already done a good job of loosening up the remaining paint, so it may come off with just a bit of elbow grease.

Spats McGee said:
I am at a loss for words. Who does that?!?

Generally speaking, the kids who play modern shooter games where all the unlockable weapons in the online multiplayer mode are painted in crazy colors.

Granted that there are those who just legitimately like having their guns all painted up like race cars, but those guys typically do a more professional job of painting their guns because they really are going for a look not unlike a race car or something of the like, ergo they'll more often use automotive paint.

Personally, I prefer Stainless Steel and Rosewood or Duotone Stainless/Black, and the closest thing I have to a painted firearm is a Mossberg 590 Shockwave with a factory Flat Dark Earth Cerakote finish, but I'm not against the idea of having some color on a firearm. I've seen some firearms painted up like the Star-Spangled Banner which looked nice, and certain camouflage like Mossy Oak looks nice, but generally speaking, the most color I want to see on a firearm is on the grips.

What ever you do DO NOT use " Aircraft Stripper" It is WAY to strong!!!

Paint thinner
Paint reducer
Mineral Spirits

These are totally different chemicals. I would use an automotive grade fast evaporating urethane enamel reducer. That will remove it.

I normally use Hoppes and Gun Scrubber. If the gas seems to take it off, I would think they would as well.

Ive been painting guns since the 60's, and have completely removed the paint on a few occasions. As long as you dont use the more permanent type paints, those two things, and with some elbow grease, you should be able to get the paint off OK.

Back