bought a Savage 110 30.06 today - a little help please

Thanks for the help on the mounts. There are so many on the market it's hard to sort through them when you really haven't been involved in buying them before. I have used scopes of course and I've bought scopes but mostly they were dovetail mounts from quite a few years back. I've shot high power rifles but I haven't set up any scopes for them. I can use all the help I can get.

Wildebees you are correct that a person can usually get off a shot much faster without a scope and it's not hard to be accurate to 100 yards or more without a scope. I've always preferred shooting without a scope in fact but my eyes aren't what they once were and neither are my nerves. It's getting harder for me to hold any gun steady like I once did.

You're certainly right that are blessed to have the gun laws we have here. I live in a rural area that is also a high crime area. People here pretty much have to protect themselves and thank goodness we are still allowed to. There was a big push about a decade ago to take our rights away from us. We fought back hard and not only kept our rights but expanded them in most cases. We now have concealed carry permits in almost all states now.

While we have a great situation with our gun rights what we don't have is the amount and variety of game to hunt here that you seem to have. We have deer and turkey where I live and elk are spreading into this area again and there are different types of game to hunt in other areas. But many types of game were hunted out back during the great depression and it took many decades for them to make a comeback. When I was young I lived on a remote farm and I saw exactly one deer there. I did see it twice but there were no other deer at all. They are plentiful now and so are turkey but or course you can't hunt turkey with a rifle.

The bad thing about hunting deer is that there are so many people in the woods with guns that it can be a real problem here. In my home state now we can only hunt with slugs but across the river in Kentucky people hunt with rifles. I am part owner of a farm there so I will be able to hunt there. But every year there are hunters who get shot by people who are like some you describe - they know nothing about the guns they're carrying. Not long ago one was arrested for hunting right beside a large highway about a quarter of a mile from the center of a small town. Every year people get bullets in their houses too. And farm animals are shot. One guy tracked a mule for miles before shooting it thinking he was tracking a deer.

So maybe you are more lucky than you think. I would think the woods aren't full of idiots with guns there with the laws you have. Given a choice I would take our laws in a heartbeat but I'd like to have more game to hunt and fewer idiots with guns too.

Thanks for the help on the mounts. There are so many on the market it's hard to sort through them when you really haven't been involved in buying them before.
No problem. :)
I hear ya! When I was first trying to find something to make one of my shorter tube scopes work on that rifle it took me several confusing hours of looking online and through my midway catalog. Finally I found that mount. There are other options but that is the least expensive and it works fine for me. Good luck with your new rifle.

I ordered the B-Square mount a little bit ago. I'm waiting to see what scope I get before I order any rings. I'm going to try to find a good used scope first. I've seen some nice scopes for sale used lately. I'm not in a big hurry to buy a scope and my wife isn't either. :) I've bought five guns this year along with a lot of other stuff. Plus I've stocked up on ammo for my .45's and my SKS. Now I'm gonna need some 30.06 stockpiled. :D Anybody know where to get some 150 gr. stuff cheap? I found this 145 gr. Russian stuff but who knows what quality it might be. Is anyone familiar with it? It certainly is cheap. I'm just thinking about stuff for target practice. I wouldn't think about hunting with it.

That Nikon is a nice scope and I have been thinking about getting one already. But I believe I can find a good used scope for about half of that price. I might even find a better scope to be honest. There are lots and lots of deer hunters who use HP rifles in this area and those that try it a while and give up and those that try it and move up to better equipment are always leaving very good equipment behind to be picked up at a reduced cost. That's how I got my gun at a good price. I think I might be able to get a scope the same way. At least I'm going to give it a try until my wife gets over me buying this gun.

I might mount the Tasco on my Stevens .22. It should be a decent scope for that gun. I have a laser sight on my Marlin and that thing will drive tacks at 50 yards. I haven't really tried it any further than that. It will likely do even more distance.

I did manage to get the iron sights adjusted to very close to where they should be. Until I head to the farm and shoot at distance I won't be able to adjust them perfectly. Still at least they aren't shooting a foot high at 30 yards now. Obviously the previous owner didn't use them and didn't notice they were off by a mile. I got them down to where I'm shooting a 1 inch pattern at 35-40 yards which I know is a long way from how good they can be but it's a start. I just have to keep making adjustments until I get it right at the distance I want. I'll probably adjust them to 150 yards because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

I only read a couple of posts and am not sure what you want to do with the rifle. Scope power/reticle will depend.

Id say you cant go wrong with an older Weaver K4 or K6. Reticle depends on how old your eyes are-duplex, dot, post or hairs. Go to ebay and be patient till you get a good one. Should be less than $100 with freight and mounts.

Found a used Bushnell Trophy series scope at a decent price with rings so I went ahead and bought it for now. It's 3-9X40 but I really liked the eye relief and the way the rings mounted the scope on my gun. It's nothing exceptional or anything but it will do for now. Guns and Shooting recommended it so I figured it can't be all bad. I'll probably get a better scope down the road but for now I'll be happy with this one. I really have spent too much money on guns lately so I need to wait a while to spend a lot of money on a scope..

Mainly I just like shooting. I want a scope so I can work on my long range shooting. I haven't done much long range shooting for quite a few years and I just want to start doing it again. I can use a scope because my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

I can see myself doing some deer hunting too. I own a farm in a state that allows using high power rifles on deer. I know where an albino deer lives and I've been thinking about taking it before it dies of old age. I think it would look pretty good mounted on my wall. We've left it alone for many years but it's pretty old now and I'd like to have it mounted. The closest I've ever gotten to it is about 200 yards so I need to be able to hit it at that distance. It's a very timid animal compared to most deer in the area. I could get a shot at a deer from under 30 yards if I wanted. I just want that albino before the coyotes get it.

Be advised that shooting an albino deer is bad juju. The legend is that you'll meet some untimely demise if you do. I don't think the curse extends to piebald ones though.

Back