Bought a little Jennings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a chromed Jennings J22 in the late 80s before I got into law enforcement and needed a small ccw gun when permits were not even mentionable. (I had given my nickeled Raven .25acp to my brother in a pro 2nd Amendment state). if I could have afforded a Beretta M20 or 950bs I'd have gotten one.

anyway, that little gun carried easily and was 100% with Remington Vipers. I'd like another if not for anything but nostalgia.

Last edited:
There are many other uses for guns than protection. Some of you "experts" that like to see yourselves type should know that.
I'm quite sure there are literally thousands of Jennings pistols out there that work just fine.

"Some of you "experts" that like to see yourselves type should know that."(Bill Deshivs)

Says the guy with over 10,500 posts...:rolleyes:

And there are literally thousands more Jennings pistols that don't work fine, hence the negative feedback and warnings about them on this thread. I hope the OP gets a good one.

Last edited:
The OP has already BOUGHT the gun. I'm sure more of those guns work than don't.
So, why does everyone feel they must caution the OP?

The OP has already BOUGHT the gun. I'm sure more of those guns work than don't.
So, why does everyone feel they must caution the OP?

Because it's dangerous. Not just the money. You think you carry it out to protect youself, then it jams. Some times, you just make a mistake, you wasted say $60dollars, get over it. You don't want to be dead right.

I remember the springs were not good, say you go to the range and happens to shoot a few rounds without jamming, but when you carry it for a year, the springs got compressed and change the tension, you might have a problem.

Too bad I dumped the springs away 30 years ago to show. It was so bad that I deemed it's not worth fixing. I know how to fix guns, I worked on the Walther PPK, Colt Gold Cup and my S&W659 to make them very reliable. they are made of high quality material.

Never have I seen something that is being condemned so unanimously like this Jennings. And you want to take a chance with your life just to save that little money? And try to say you did not make a mistake?

The company has been sued out of business, more than once. The gun is indeed dangerous. A few turned up in the shop. I declined the work and warned the owners not even to load them. Some one will have to pay me to keep one unloaded. He will never pay me enough to keep one loaded though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Little Jennings runs just fine!!!!!

Picked up the little Jennings (22LR) yesterday. Cleaned and oiled/greased it good. Took it to the range today and put 115 round through it WITH ONLY THREE JAMS!!!!!

There was, however; a lite strike problem until I figured out that when you rack it by hand, it sometimes does not go into battery. It looks like it's in battery but when you push on the back of the slide you get a little click as it goes all the way in. This doesn't happen every time you hand rack it. Once it's in battery you can shoot all six rounds without any problem.

I ran three kinds of ammo, see pic below, and it fed and ate all of them just fine.

Shooting one handed at five yards, I could just barely keep all six shots in a five inch circle and I really had to concentrate to do that.

Safety works just as it should.

All in all, yeah I paid a bit too much, but it's going to be a fun range toy. It will never be a main carry gun. I can't think of any circumstance wherein the Kel Tec P3AT would not be just as concealable and make a much better self defense weapon.

So, to all the nay sayers I say, "Neener, neener, neener." but just in a spirit of fun.

Life is good
Prof Young

Attachments

• Jennings.jpg
    Jennings.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 33
Congratulations, always good to hear when something everyone says is junk works well.

Your gun looks different from the one I have, mine is nickeled, has wood grips, and the safety is a small tab that moves fore and aft, not at all like the one in the picture. Clearly some changes were made during the production life of the pistol.

Sometimes, the only thing a "junk" gun needs is some proper TLC (especially lube).

I once bought a Stoeger Luger .22LR that the shop had for sale at about 2/3 the usual price. Said they tried to use it as a range rental and all it would do is constantly jam. I bought it, anyway.

Took it home and put a mag through it, and sure enough, jamm-o-matic...
Then, I oiled it...and it ran like a sewing machine.

Just me, but I still wouldn't carry that Jennings with a round in the chamber. Other than that, since it runs well, I see no issues

115 round with 3 jams, That's bad!!! I made my guns going through hundreds of rounds without a single problem.

My cheap Beretta 950BS are so much better. over 2000 rounds between the three, only occasionally FTE with the aluminum casing of CCI Brazer. That was resolved by just lightly polishing the chamber, then it's 100% reliability. This is what I call good. And 950 is cheap also.

Last edited:
"My cheap Beretta 950BS are so much better". Sure it is. And another "expert" here who says he paid more for a different pistol will say HIS is "better". OP said he picked it up as something to play around with on the range, not for self defense. Get off your high horse. I had one of those Jennnings back when I was in LE and picked up several more for other officers as a pocket gun. I didn't have a problem with mine and theirs worked fine as well. Didn't pick it up to run thousands of rounds through. It served it's purpose and didn't break the bank. Not everyone has $$$$ to spend on the latest, greatest mouse trap. And banging on a 1911 just shows your limited experience,

"My cheap Beretta 950BS are so much better". Sure it is. And another "expert" here who says he paid more for a different pistol will say HIS is "better". OP said he picked it up as something to play around with on the range, not for self defense. Get off your high horse. I had one of those Jennnings back when I was in LE and picked up several more for other officers as a pocket gun. I didn't have a problem with mine and theirs worked fine as well. Didn't pick it up to run thousands of rounds through. It served it's purpose and didn't break the bank. Not everyone has $$$$ to spend on the latest, greatest mouse trap. And banging on a 1911 just shows your limited experience,

You ever tried a Beretta 950BS? They are not expensive, I have 3.

Did you read my post on the first page that I actually had one and I torn it apart to make my comments?

Your gun looks different from the one I have, mine is nickeled, has wood grips, and the safety is a small tab that moves fore and aft, not at all like the one in the picture. Clearly some changes were made during the production life of the pistol.

same for the Jennings P22 I had (except mine was chromed) and the nickeled Raven P25. my chromed Davis P32 had an up and down safety that was but a mere nub.

This is a great synopsis on the internet, which I totally agree with.

"People also ask
Are Jennings Firearms good?
These companies made inexpensive, low quality firearms that used to be derisively termed as “Saturday Night specials.” Jennings have a zinc frame, a poor quality barrel and components which wear very quickly. Its accuracy is substandard, it frequently jams and fails to feed and it cannot be used with +P ammunition."

alan0354
Dude just stop. You are just coming off as a high pressure salesman, or an annoying kid. Just dissing on the the ops new gun without offering any help or insight other than "my gun is better" is not cool. If it's a range toy and the op likes it who cares, to each their own. Stop bashing...

I for one have always thought it would be cool to have a little Jennings or raven as a range toy, despite their reputation. They will be collectors items some day if they aren't allready.

Again, read post 6 in the first page, I own the Jennings, look at the pictures. read the post. You own a Jennings?

Again, read post 6 in the first page, I own the Jennings, look at the pictures. read the post. You own a Jennings?
Again. He is aware of the potential issues, he is still happy with it, and it's just a range toy. You said what you had to say, stop trying to beat the OP and everyone else over the head with your bad experience like a petulant child.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back