Both eyes open

Take up traditional archery. When you learn instinctive shooting with a bow you can apply the same principles to pistol shooting. Look where you're shooting and let the gun just become a blur in the sight picture. It goes against front sight focus doctrine but it's fast and it works.

Shotgun also is more instinctive , focusing on the bird ! I took some serious coaching in shotgun to break me of the habit of the rifle shooters front sight system ! A properly fitting shotgun also helps.

In my youth we didn't have any hand guns, but we had lots of shotgun bird hunting and playing with bows. Possibly that is why I never thought twice of keeping both eyes open when I finally shot handguns. It was normal for me already. And/or as PAX says, I may be strongly right eye dominant, making it easy.

I spend a fair amount of time shooting shotgun. Helped me with pistol shooting. Now it seems weird to close an eye. Your focus is off the bead and on the target.

I tend to shoot one eye closed most of the time. Why? Just lazy, I suppose. Plus, I get better accuracy using the one-eye method. Go figure.

Back